Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #241
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I agree. I don't think any team will be tanking. I don't think the intensity, and that play through anything to win attitude will be there though with most of the players. All the worries from Covid coupled with the long break, will mean players will be rusty, and some probably just won't have their hearts fully in it. Which is understandable, players are just human after all.

I think this year, more than any other year, the team with that goalie that starts off hot at the beginning of the season, will be the team that wins the cup. It could be some no name back up who plays out of their minds for 20 games, that wins the cup.
So, more or less the same result we have come to expect from the last several Stanley Cup playoffs? With such luminaries in the past decade as Corey Crawford, Matt Murray and Jordan Binnington emerging from obscurity to become star goalies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #242
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't like gatekeeping fandom, but if you're cheering for losses, you may need to get your head checked out.
Yeah, gatekeeping is lame, but varied fan-reactions do prompt me to think a lot about personality types among sports enthusiasts.

I think cheering for losses may be an indication that one's fandom has turned into an unhealthy obsession, especially if it produces nothing but misery. Not to say that this describes any specific posters on CP, but with a number of the comments that I regularly read, it sure does make me wonder why some people continue to follow and cheer for a team that makes them so jaded, pessimistic and cynical. I think if that ever happened to me, I would just stop watching hockey altogether, or start cheering for another team.

But that's just me.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #243
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah, gatekeeping is lame, but varied fan-reactions do prompt me to think a lot about personality types among sports enthusiasts.

I think cheering for losses may be an indication that one's fandom has turned into an unhealthy obsession, especially if it produces nothing but misery. Not to say that this describes any specific posters on CP, but with a number of the comments that I regularly read, it sure does make me wonder why some people continue to follow and cheer for a team that makes them so jaded, pessimistic and cynical. I think if that ever happened to me, I would just stop watching hockey altogether, or start cheering for another team.

But that's just me.
I'm not cheering for losses, just expecting them. Personally, I think the greater gain is getting 1 OA for this franchise. All the Flames ever do is tread water. One dip into the bottom.of the pool wouldn't be the worst outcome.

I think a lot of people confuse wanting a top pick and cheering for losses as the same thing. But in the end the team dictates how fans react. So because some fans are A-OK with things and just cheering regardless, some other fans are left needing a reason to cheer. Doesnt make them any better or worse.

I just dont understand for the most part why fans need to draw lines in the sand and call other losers for the way they feel what benefits the team.

Everyone wants a cup but if you could honestly tell me this years roster inspired that kind of Stanley Cup quality I'd say good on you, but I certainly didn't get that vibe at all.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #244
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Not mine but seen this floating around

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-29-2020 at 12:52 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #245
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

I laughed much harder than I should have.

Quality meme.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #246
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This might actually throw a wrench into the play in round with the fans. Most fanbases minus the ultra delusional ones like EDM won't really feel they have a strong chance should they qualify and would prefer their shot at Lafreniere.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #247
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm not cheering for losses, just expecting them. Personally, I think the greater gain is getting 1 OA for this franchise. All the Flames ever do is tread water. One dip into the bottom.of the pool wouldn't be the worst outcome...
I totally agree, but honestly a 1/8 odds of winning that pick strikes me as a nice consolation prize, but certainly not one about which to get one's hopes up. It is still a ridiculous crap-shoot—where you expect losses in the 2020 play-in I am at least as expectant that the Flames will not be spending the #1 pick at the 2020 Draft.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #248
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So, more or less the same result we have come to expect from the last several Stanley Cup playoffs? With such luminaries in the past decade as Corey Crawford, Matt Murray and Jordan Binnington emerging from obscurity to become star goalies?
For sure, but I have a feeling it'll be even more so, as in sometimes you see at the beginning of seasons, some goalies play out of their minds for a good 20 game stretch, and then fall back to earth. Like that year Chad Johnson got hot for us, but cooled down once we hit the playoffs.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #249
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
For sure, but I have a feeling it'll be even more so, as in sometimes you see at the beginning of seasons, some goalies play out of their minds for a good 20 game stretch, and then fall back to earth. Like that year Chad Johnson got hot for us, but cooled down once we hit the playoffs.
It feels like Rittich plays by far his best hockey during the first half of the season. I am hoping that is the version we get in August. If I am not mistaken he was over .920 for his first couple of months then tail off. We have found out both years there is a nagging injury he was dealing with
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #250
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're up against Taylor Hall, the Oilers and the Penguins here... There's no way the Flames are getting #1
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #251
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Imagine walking away from the draft with Byfield and Rossi, and then still having the Isles 1st round pick in the 15 to 20 range and FOUR 2nd round picks.

Then after picking SEVEN times in rounds 1 and 2, they will still have six more picks in the remaining rounds of the draft.

Sens fans must be dying waiting for the draft to happen. If the Sens don't trade any picks they will have 13 new prospects in their cupboards after the draft is complete.

And then imagine you have a cheap, hands on, incompetent owner who will destroy any hope you start to build by selling off assets as soon as they cost anything.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #252
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't expect the Flames to win either the cup or first pick, but it's the hope that makes things fun.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:25 PM   #253
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
And then imagine you have a cheap, hands on, incompetent owner who will destroy any hope you start to build by selling off assets as soon as they cost anything.
Four playoff round victories in 31 years...I think the Flames' level of incompetence is higher than the Sens'.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #254
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
For the record....

After the trade deadline in '04 the Flames went on a 8W - 4L - 1T streak. ~106 point pace. I remember feeling quite optimistic going into the playoffs.

Agreed though, anything can happen.
Flames have been on that about pace since Ward in November yet listen to the fans
Old 06-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #255
Flames007
Draft Pick

Nice to see the Oilers will have a shot at the first pick again.😉
Flames007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #256
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Four playoff round victories in 31 years...I think the Flames' level of incompetence is higher than the Sens'.
If only we had the Senators level of incompetence. As poor as the ownership situation is, the Senators always do a solid job of squeezing as much as success out of what they are given. I haven't done the math but I wouldn't be surprised if they have the most playoff series wins out of any Canadian team in the last couple of decades (although to be fair, the bar isn't particularly high).
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #257
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames lose to the Jets, and do not get the first overall pick, they do stand a better shot at getting Dawson Mercer, which would be a great consolation prize.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #258
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
If only we had the Senators level of incompetence. As poor as the ownership situation is, the Senators always do a solid job of squeezing as much as success out of what they are given. I haven't done the math but I wouldn't be surprised if they have the most playoff series wins out of any Canadian team in the last couple of decades (although to be fair, the bar isn't particularly high).
I feel imposing an internal cap on the team that isn't the salary cap would actually work wonders for our mediocrity.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #259
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

I find it impossible to think about this year's #1 pick and not sing

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #260
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I think that since 2000:

Senators - 10
Canadiens - 8
Canucks 7
Flames - 4
Oilers - 4
Maple Leafs - 4 (all early 2000s, with one run accounting for half - zero playoff round wins since 2003-04 lockout)
Jets - 2

Eugene Melnyk sucks, but the management of the Senators has been good - they just can't hold onto their good players for long periods of time. The biggest mistake that they have made was letting Chara go in favour of Redden.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post: