Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #241
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
^^^ actually I have no idea what secret meaning the Bells have.
“I’ve always hated the bells,” says Varys. “They ring for horror. The dead king. The city under siege.”

“A wedding,” says Tyrion.

“Exactly.”

I don't think I was reading into deep with that, surely an allusion to some future weddings that end pretty horribly - even if Varys himself is just taking a jab at weddings.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #242
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
“I’ve always hated the bells,” says Varys. “They ring for horror. The dead king. The city under siege.”

“A wedding,” says Tyrion.

“Exactly.”

I don't think I was reading into deep with that, surely an allusion to some future weddings that end pretty horribly - even if Varys himself is just taking a jab at weddings.
Ah, You mean an allusion the writers are making to future events, not the characters.

Yeah I did chuckle at the wedding comment.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #243
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Then what happens with the hound and Sansa though? Does she get lost before the Hound and Arya meet up? I really hope they stick to the books for this one and she is still there.

Don't forget one of the greatest moments of the series happens at Tyrion and Sansa's wedding. They would have to work it in somewhere else but the wedding is perfect because the way Joffrey treats Tyrion during the whole thing makes Tyrion the prime suspect.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #244
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was Joffreys wedding where he was poisoned? I might be remembering incorrectly.

Watched the battle last night, I thought it was done really well. I am curious to see if they my Tywin more of a villain next season, I don't think I am a huge fan of how he is portrayed.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #245
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think you're right, it was Joffrey's wedding, regardless the poisoning happens after the treatment of Tyrion by Joffrey leading up to and during Tyrion and Sansa's wedding really sets up Tyrion being the prime suspect and having to flee. It all just works too well to not have it happen IMO.

Also, I just read through the TV thread and I can't believe how long it took for someone to address Loras/the Tyrell's showing up with Tywin. I think it was too quick of a shot and a lot of people missed it, talking with my Mom last night who has not read the books she had no idea either.

I think you're really starting to see, with people who haven't read the books, the sheer volume of character starting to confuse people.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #246
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not surprised the tv viewers are getting overwhelmed by characters, I know I was just reading the books. That's why I'm looking forward to my re-read to catch a lot of little stuff with characters I'm sure I missed the first time through.

So did the show have the scene with someone in Renly's armour leading the charge with Stannis? Or did they cut that part? I could have seen that helping show the Tyrell's siding with the Lannister's in a more obvious way than the quick shot of Loras taking off his helmet (I'm assuming that is the scene that tells the tale).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #247
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tyrion's wedding was a small, intimate thing. Sansa not kneeling to allow Tyrion to attach the marriage robe was the most memorable thing.

It was at Joffrey's wedding, where Tyrion gives him a rare book which Joffrey proceeds to destroy with his new sword, then the whole dwarf jousting.

I'm not advocating cutting the Tyrion/Sansa wedding, just that with the cuts that have already happened I can see that being relatively easily cut. Next season will be busy enough as it is. The other 2 weddings will take a lot of time. Jaime's hand. The Red Viper. And that is just Westeros, Danni needs to take over some cities, there is a war at the wall. It will be interesting to see how much they can fit into 10 (or even 12) episodes.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #248
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'm not surprised the tv viewers are getting overwhelmed by characters, I know I was just reading the books. That's why I'm looking forward to my re-read to catch a lot of little stuff with characters I'm sure I missed the first time through.

So did the show have the scene with someone in Renly's armour leading the charge with Stannis? Or did they cut that part? I could have seen that helping show the Tyrell's siding with the Lannister's in a more obvious way than the quick shot of Loras taking off his helmet (I'm assuming that is the scene that tells the tale).
They cut the whole "Renly's ghost" part. Loras' helmet was the only shot, and I missed that it was Loras first time through.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #249
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I'm not advocating cutting the Tyrion/Sansa wedding, just that with the cuts that have already happened I can see that being relatively easily cut. Next season will be busy enough as it is. The other 2 weddings will take a lot of time. Jaime's hand. The Red Viper. And that is just Westeros, Danni needs to take over some cities, there is a war at the wall. It will be interesting to see how much they can fit into 10 (or even 12) episodes.
I've heard the plan was to split book 3 into two seasons, it would make the most sense. Plus they can cliffhanger season 3 with the end of the Red Wedding and Arya's death fake-out.

I really hope they do this, as I'd love to see the TV thread collectively sh*t themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #250
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
I've heard the plan was to split book 3 into two seasons, it would make the most sense. Plus they can cliffhanger season 3 with the end of the Red Wedding and Arya's death fake-out.

I really hope they do this, as I'd love to see the TV thread collectively sh*t themselves.
Just to add to this, especially given my comments in the other thread about the Sand Snakes that almost caused mass suicides, Red Viper isn't introduced until about halfway through book 3. About 10 capters before the Red Wedding.

Depending on how they choose to do the story, he may not show up until season 4 (book 3 pt 2).

The Sand Snakes aren't introduced until Book 4, which would likely be season 5.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #251
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really need to go back and re-read the series, my memory is combining similar events into one in several cases.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #252
Ped
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

[QUOTE=Bobblehead;3722473]
It was at Joffrey's wedding, where Tyrion gives him a rare book which Joffrey proceeds to destroy with his new sword, then the whole dwarf jousting.
QUOTE]

Actually the book-cutting happened prior to Joffrey's wedding iirc, at some sort of dinner to celebrate the match. That was when Tyrion figured out it was Joffrey that sent the killer after Bran as he offered a replacement gift of a dagger with a dragonbone hilt (the same kind was used to attempt to kill Bran)
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #253
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't Joffrey chop up the book with the new sword forged from Ice (I believe the new sword was Tywin's gift to him. He had two made from Ice, and gave the other to Jamie if I recall correctly)?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #254
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Actually the book-cutting happened prior to Joffrey's wedding iirc, at some sort of dinner to celebrate the match. That was when Tyrion figured out it was Joffrey that sent the killer after Bran as he offered a replacement gift of a dagger with a dragonbone hilt (the same kind was used to attempt to kill Bran)
I believe this is correct, although Tyrion had suspicions even before that event about the blade. I believe at the gift giving event you're speaking of was the final straw that confirmed it to Tyrion. Either that or he mentioned the dagger to let Joffrey know that he knew.

Quote:
Didn't Joffrey chop up the book with the new sword forged from Ice (I believe the new sword was Tywin's gift to him. He had two made from Ice, and gave the other to Jamie if I recall correctly)?

This is also correct. Jaime gave his sword to Brienne and had her name it Oathkeeper.

ASOIAF wiki says Joffrey's was called Widow's Wail but I don't think that's what they called it in the TV show. In fact, I thought Joff gave it a different name in the books. And I just read that book last month and I can't remember. I guess I am remembering incorrectly.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #255
Chump
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Blackfish, Edmure, the Reeds, Queen of Thorns and others are confirmed for next season.

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/05/ew...-is-blackfish/
Chump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chump For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #256
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Surprised the Reeds made the cut. How are they going to introduce them after all this time? They'll just meet up with Bran in the forest?

And I can see why the Q of Thorns is needed since she's the one that kills Joffrey.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #257
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bran and Co. takes a wrong turn and ends up in Reed territory, thus meeting them? Or they just make it that they are passing through Reed lands.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #258
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jojen has his greensight, so I could see that triggering the meet. Perhaps helping them escape after the burning of Winterfell.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #259
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Man...I am almost done ASoS. Since the Red Wedding, **** has been going down. Even Dany's stuff has gotten interesting with the return of Barristan.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:28 AM   #260
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Surprised the Reeds made the cut. How are they going to introduce them after all this time? They'll just meet up with Bran in the forest?

And I can see why the Q of Thorns is needed since she's the one that kills Joffrey.
I am so bummed at how ordinary that was. How Arya killed the Tickler after the fight at the tavern with the Hound, Tickler, Polliver and the pimply squire? Joff needed that kind of death, to a degree of about 100.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming