Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #241
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
BUMP

so it looks like the exec chef from Rouge is now the exec chef in Muse as well as Rouge's staff transitioning over to Muse.

still a nice meal at Muse, but whatever made Muse better than Rouge is now a thing of the past
Interesting! Rouge lost one of their best (IMHO) somelliers to Muse a while ago - he is amazing - I think his name is Angus. His pairings with tasting menus are great.

Speaking of tasting menus, any recommendations for a good tasting menu paired with wine that isn't Rouge or Muse? We've been there, done that at both places and are looking for something different for a change.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #242
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
. Really liked Sugo for Italian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
. Calgary generally has plenty of good Italian spots... Sugo is fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
IMO:
Best Italian is sugo
</p>

Did Sugo for my wife's birthday based on recommendations in this thread. 4 course tasting menu is $59, we had mozzarela wrapped prosciutto, a gnocci with chicken/mushrooms, prosciutto wrapped wild boar tenderloan with roasted vegetables, and panchetta with raspberry glaze for dessert. It was all excellent, and they were very willing to accomodate requests. (My wife doesn't like seafood, in general, and I think mussels were substituted out somewhere). Anyway, the service/food was excellent, we'll definitely be back.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #243
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I went to Teatro yesterday to celebrate her birthday. For anyone who goes, make sure you order their Marscapone risotto. It's extremely rich and creamy, topped with lobster tail and shaved truffles (not oil), and a bone-marrow sauce. Mind-blowingly good. It was by far the best risotto I've ever had, and probably one of the top 10 things I've ever eaten period.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #244
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Boxwood has a great patio in the park. Impress your guests. No reservations, but we were told the wait list is not too bad, and they bring you drinks while you wait.

http://www.boxwoodcafe.ca/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #245
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
My wife and I went to Teatro yesterday to celebrate her birthday. For anyone who goes, make sure you order their Marscapone risotto. It's extremely rich and creamy, topped with lobster tail and shaved truffles (not oil), and a bone-marrow sauce. Mind-blowingly good. It was by far the best risotto I've ever had, and probably one of the top 10 things I've ever eaten period.
Interesting. Our wives must have the same birthday. I actually had teatro reservations for last night, but cancelled at the last minute to try Sugo, where we haven't been before. Will definitley get the risotto next time, thanks for the recommendation!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #246
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Interesting. Our wives must have the same birthday. I actually had teatro reservations for last night, but cancelled at the last minute to try Sugo, where we haven't been before. Will definitley get the risotto next time, thanks for the recommendation!
Nice, did she turn 30 too? That would be even better, ha.

What was actually a really nice touch is that we shared the risotto as one of our appetizers, and they prepared it in two separate dishes. It's probably a little too rich to eat all of it on your own, but sharing it between 2 people was the perfect amount. It might be the best dish I've ever had in Calgary.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #247
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice, did she turn 30 too? That would be even better, ha.

What was actually a really nice touch is that we shared the risotto as one of our appetizers, and they prepared it in two separate dishes. It's probably a little too rich to eat all of it on your own, but sharing it between 2 people was the perfect amount. It might be the best dish I've ever had in Calgary.
Haha. Nope, we're just at 27. Based on some of your previous comments in this thread, if that's edging on best dish ever in Calgary then it must be good. I'll assume your best dishes ever were elsewhere. If you only had 1-2 nights in NYC what restaurants would you do? We're doing another long weekend there next month, and could use a couple of new places. (We always do Maya one night, but wouldn't mind branching out.)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #248
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Haha. Nope, we're just at 27. Based on some of your previous comments in this thread, if that's edging on best dish ever in Calgary then it must be good. I'll assume your best dishes ever were elsewhere. If you only had 1-2 nights in NYC what restaurants would you do? We're doing another long weekend there next month, and could use a couple of new places. (We always do Maya one night, but wouldn't mind branching out.)
Ha, well, my best dishes ever include things like a bag of mozzarella in Padua, a lobster roll from a roadside shack in Maine, and 4-euro pizza in Naples... so it's not always necessarily a fine-dining restaurant. I think my best ever fine-dining experience was in San Sebastian, Spain though...that town has a ridiculous amount of good food.

Keep in mind I've been living outside of NY for over a year now, but some places that come to mind that you could try Ive listed below.

Zenkichi - Williamsburg. The best Japanese food I've ever had....and none of it was sushi. Did some ridiculous 8-10 course tasting menu, with a sake tasting with every course.

Pylos - Lower East Side. Some really great Greek Food.

Dogmatic - Union Square. Just really awesome fancy-ish hotdogs. Great for on the go, and a location you're always around anyway.

-6th Street between 2nd and 1st Aves has great cheap Indian food. Great lunch specials for cheap.

-If you're there over a weekend, I recommend going to Williamsburg and attending Smorgasburg, a great outdoor food market. It's a little hipstery, but also offers a great view of the Manhattan skyline. Plus you can take the water taxi there, which is a great cheap way to get on the water.

You can always go the high end route of course in NY (ie. Momofuku, La Bernardin, Perse....all fantastic) but I think the magic of the NY dining scene is that you can get really amazing food at reasonable prices. Something that Calgary has not yet achieved, but I'm hoping it will in a few years.

A lot of great restaurants on this list though:
http://nymag.com/restaurants/wheretoeat/2012/
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #249
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the updated nymag list for 2013 http://nymag.com/restaurants/wheretoeat/2013/

A lot of Brooklyn spots. Battersby is great and not much of a trip.

If you like old school red sauce style italian try Parm for a pretty cheap lunch/dinner or really ball out and hit Carbone (the one on Thompson). Same chefs/owners for both, along with Torrisi, which steps outside of the steroetypical italian flavors a bit more.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #250
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Just curious, how much does that cost?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #251
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Just curious, how much does that cost?
$29. Not cheap, but with lobster and shaved truffle, I don't think it's unreasonable by any means....especially for Calgary, where you can probably spend close to that on a personal pizza.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #252
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
When I eat at NY italian restaurants and then the older ones in Calgary, I wonder what boat came to Calgary way back when?
Italian is kind of funny in that places, particularly those that started out family run, are more restaurants with people from Italy in the kitchen than they are "Italian restaurants". It's such a varied cuisine, most people default to pasta but that's really such a minute portion of it. Even tomatoes aren't really a huge part of Italian cuisine, but we tend to think they are. Italian-American adds so many weird twists, from combining a bunch of different regional dishes to taking small peasant dishes and packing them with tons of protein and cheese it's really a cuisine all to itself.

The places I listed above embrace that concept but give it more of a refined treatment, for instance the veal marsala at Carbone comes on the bone and uses those fancy mushrooms you're always afraid to buy at the store. They also copied the flooring for the restaurant directly from a scene in The Godfather.

Anyways, back to Calgary. What's La Brezza like these days? Is it even around? I remember eating there a good 10 years ago when the grandmother was still in the kitchen and it was phenomenal.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #253
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yellow Door Bistro in Hotel Arts is fairly new. Good food and interesting decor.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #254
mariners_fever
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Interesting! Rouge lost one of their best (IMHO) somelliers to Muse a while ago - he is amazing - I think his name is Angus. His pairings with tasting menus are great.

Speaking of tasting menus, any recommendations for a good tasting menu paired with wine that isn't Rouge or Muse? We've been there, done that at both places and are looking for something different for a change.
I worked at Muse for three years and left about 6 months before the transfer of ownership. In actuality it's the owner of Escoba that assumed ownership.

His name is Fergus, he's an amazing sommelier. Sadly, I've heard he's since moved on to Rush.

As for tasting menu recommendations, I know that the old chef from Muse, Xavier Lacaze (who was on Top Chef last year) is at Home Tasting Room now. He does a killer tasting menu.
mariners_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #255
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Italian is kind of funny in that places, particularly those that started out family run, are more restaurants with people from Italy in the kitchen than they are "Italian restaurants". It's such a varied cuisine, most people default to pasta but that's really such a minute portion of it. Even tomatoes aren't really a huge part of Italian cuisine, but we tend to think they are. Italian-American adds so many weird twists, from combining a bunch of different regional dishes to taking small peasant dishes and packing them with tons of protein and cheese it's really a cuisine all to itself.
This. A million times this.

Most people don't realize tomatoes came from the new world, so Europeans haven't even had them as part of their cuisine for all that long (relatively speaking), yet somehow tomato sauce, pasta, and pizza are all people think Italian food is. They're thinking Italian-American, not Italian.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #256
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Calgary has a lot of good "Italian-Italian, not American-Italian" restaurants. In fact, if I have one complain, it's that it seems like almost every new restaurant is based off of Italian in some fashion. We could use a little more variety.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #257
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think Calgary has a lot of good "Italian-Italian, not American-Italian" restaurants. In fact, if I have one complain, it's that it seems like almost every new restaurant is based off of Italian in some fashion. We could use a little more variety.
You mean like a steakhouse?
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #258
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Here's the updated nymag list for 2013 http://nymag.com/restaurants/wheretoeat/2013/

A lot of Brooklyn spots. Battersby is great and not much of a trip.

If you like old school red sauce style italian try Parm for a pretty cheap lunch/dinner or really ball out and hit Carbone (the one on Thompson). Same chefs/owners for both, along with Torrisi, which steps outside of the steroetypical italian flavors a bit more.
Sapori D'Ischia Restaurant

This place formerly in Queens moved to midtown. Have you tried it?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sapor...t/166662166521
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #259
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Sapori D'Ischia Restaurant

This place formerly in Queens moved to midtown. Have you tried it?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sapor...t/166662166521
It doesn't appear that a midtown location ever opened, or if it did was never publicized as the food press loved that place and would have been all over it. Definitely looks like it was worth the trip.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #260
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As for tasting menu recommendations, I know that the old chef from Muse, Xavier Lacaze (who was on Top Chef last year) is at Home Tasting Room now. He does a killer tasting menu.
Not anymore.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote