Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #241
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
How is the Thrawn Trilogy?
Honestly it was decently written and did a decent job of portraying the original characters. It was very descriptive and detailed.

What's funny is that the Prequel Trilogy destroyed a lot of it because of the differences in the clone wars.

I thought that Thrawn could have been so much more. He pretty much lost every major battle but one without giving too much away.

There were some cringe worthy elements to it as well. The Joorus C'both demented Jedi thing, and some other things were entirely cringe worthy.

It was ok and at the time it fed a lot of people's star wars hunger but time hasn''t been kind to it.

The best books are really in the old to mid old republic and the books that focus on the dark times between the original and the prequel.

the best writers live there, Lucerno and Stover and the guy who did the mass effects scripts Drew Kasp something are the best writers in the EU

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #242
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say bring back Darth Maul the guy barely had a role in the Star Wars films and was the coolest looking Sith, some how they can say he never died and was in the background the whole time, episode 7 could retell the story after he was cut into two
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #243
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

At the end of TPM Darth Maul had the higher ground, from which it is impossible to lose apparently. Therefore I agree, he is not actually dead.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #244
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #245
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Yeah, Maul is already back in the Clone Wars cartoon. Which is a pretty fun cartoon.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #246
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You're not a good villain if you can't fight and talk at the same time.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #247
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
I say bring back Darth Maul the guy barely had a role in the Star Wars films and was the coolest looking Sith, some how they can say he never died and was in the background the whole time, episode 7 could retell the story after he was cut into two
the one story line that I outright hated in Clone Wars which is a decent cartoon was bringing back Maul. The guy was sawed in half and plummeted down a massive shaft (No safety union on Naboo = no hand rails again)

He was the bobba Fett of the prequels and went out like a punk.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #248
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought Jango Fett was the Boba Fett of the prequels.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #249
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
I thought Jango Fett was the Boba Fett of the prequels.
They were both more effective than Boba.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #250
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Fanboys idea of Boba Fett

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #251
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
^^^^^

Yeah, the EU needs to be avoided in the movies because of posts like that.
I actually LOL'd
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #252
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
To be honest, the Bane Books, the Darth Plageous books and even the Return of the Sith novel realy gie a sense that the whole Sith thing is more then a person merely falling to the dark side of the force and going all evil

Out comes my nerd shirt.

First and foremost the Sith don't see themselves as evil. They see the universe as what it is, the weak get crushed by the strong. The weak should serve the strong.

they also see the Sith code as a truism, Peace is a lie, and the final part through victory my chains are broken.

In other words they see the universe for what it is, they see the Jedi as entirely flawed because they serve the force instead of using the force for what it is.

Remember also that the Jedi gain power through knowledge whereas the Sith gain knowledge through power.

The Jedi believe in peace and justice.

The Sith believe in order and justice.

Why I stand on the Sith being gone.

If you look at the philosphy of the Bannite rule. Two there is a master and a apprentice, one to embody the power and one to crave it.

Basically the Sith feel that the dark side of the force is at its most powerful when its concentrated on the fewest worth individuals as possible.

The Master apprentice dynamic is also incredibly facinating. The Master takes all fo the information that he learns from his previous master and continues to add new knowledge which he passes down to his apprentice. Once the Apprentice becomes powerful enough to surpass his master, he or she will rise up and kill the master and take all of the knowledge gained and pass it onto a new apprentice while continuing to learn more.

At the same time instead of actively confronting the Jedi, they work from the shadows and set about actively causing the republic to rot until they're smart enough and powerful enough to reveal themselves, destroy the Jedi and take over the galaxy, not to destroy it, but to run it.

With all the knowledge passed down from Bane to Zannah to Cognus and all the way through to Plageous and Sideous with thousands of years of learning and culling the weak, Palpatine was pretty much a pure embodiment of thousands of years of learning and concentrated dark side.

When he died and Vader was killed, that knowledge was lost, it was interesting in the Bane books as it sounds like most of the Sith Holocrons were one use only and destroyed once a Sith used it and added its knowledge to his to protect the information.

Even though there might have been a Darth Sideous Holocron, it would take someone several life times to absorb all of that knowledge and pass it on.

You could have a dark Jedi threat in the movie, but Dark Jedi are not Sith, they're usually just evil demented hate filled former Jedi driven by the thought of revenge and destruction.

But they are nowhere near a Sith.
Sounds like Ayn Rand is a Sith

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #253
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
If one was to follow the books, I assume the Thrawn Trilogy follows Return of the Jedi, whay comes after the Thrawn trilogy?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_books
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #254
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Sounds like Ayn Rand is a Sith

In a perfect definition Biden is a Sith Master, Obama is his apprentice.

You could say the same about Cheney and Bush 2 except they weren't good at hiding in the shadows

Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #255
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

sounds like Disney wants to take a page from Marvel's book and make 2-3 Star Wars movies per year, focusing on individual characters

http://blastr.com/2012/11/disney-planning-2-or-3-st.php

as long as they get talented writers and directors, i'd be fine with this. it's definitely milking the franchise for all it's worth, but as a huge SW fan if it's done right then everybody wins (especially if this means we get to see the Rogue Squadron series on the big screen, or even KOTOR)
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #256
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont think the new writers should be bound by anything outside of the movies. Trying to stick to official canon will be the downfall of the new movies. Star Wars need to tell a good story first and not focus on adhering canon. Dont make a star wars movie fir star wars fanboys. Make a good movie first that happens to be in the star wars universe.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #257
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's pretty good, a lot of good stories and characters out there I'm sure.

I'd like to see them do the next three main movies first, introduce some new character, then branch off into individual stories from the Star Wars universe.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #258
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I dont think the new writers should be bound by anything outside of the movies. Trying to stick to official canon will be the downfall of the new movies. Star Wars need to tell a good story first and not focus on adhering canon. Dont make a star wars movie fir star wars fanboys. Make a good movie first that happens to be in the star wars universe.
Agreed, but really there are just too many fanboys and too many existing opinions on what star wars should be that the series is doomed. I have already seen quite a bit of support online for the notion of resurrecting Darth Vader for the new films, which IMO is a terribly bad idea.

I am willing to bet that the next Star Wars film is going to be pretty bad.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #259
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

'Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi' writer hired for new 'Star Wars' trilogy

Quote:
According to The Hollywood Reporter, writers Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg have agreed to write installments of the new Star Wars trilogy, and they will write either Episode 8 or Episode 9. Kasdan's already got some serious credentials under his belt: he previously co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Kasdan's counterpart Kinberg has written titles including X-Men: The Last Stand, Sherlock Holmes, and Jumper. The Hollywood Reporter says that the writers' exact responsibilities haven't been determined yet, and it's unclear if the duo will take on both movies. Regardless, it's exciting news for Star Wars fans who hold the original trilogy in high regard.

The new Star Wars trilogy resulted from the Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm, announced back in October. Disney plans to release the first of the new trilogy, Star Wars: Episode 7, sometime in 2015. That film will be written by Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine writer Michael Arndt.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/21/3...-new-star-wars
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #260
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not going to be a popular thought, but I wonder if CGI(!) has advanced past the Final Fantasy uncanny valley to allow the movies to be set within the decade after RotJ. In other words, special effects-ify the 3 original actors to make them look a lot younger, but obviously keep their voices.

I doubt that is what they'll do though. Carrie Fisher at the moment is not as terrible looking as she has been at different times, Harrison Ford certainly looks like Han Solo 20-30 years later, and Mark Hamill (although possibly aging the most) could be gotten into shape to play a 50 year old Luke I think.

I haven't read any of the post Clone Wars books because I was trying to start at the beginning and read them in order, but they were being written faster than I could read them. Anyway, I like the idea of a Jedi Academy with Han and Leia's kids being taught by Luke.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote