Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #241
Kefka
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

what a terrible goal. the CPU super man double deflects a randomly deflected shot. yuck
Kefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #242
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing too exciting there. Didn't they have the shark entrance and others like that in an older version of NHL? So now they bring it back and its touted as a new feature? Pretty lame. Gameplay didn't look all that different either. Hasn't been enough to entice me to get NHL 12 yet.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #243
Kefka
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Last edited by Kefka; 07-10-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Kefka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kefka For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #244
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
its kind of hard to be bothered by the commentary when you aren't listening to it!

isn't that indicative of why it sucks when you have to turn it off???
I just meant I don't care about the commentary's quality because it's turned off...even if it was actually good.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #245
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
If it's a demo being shown, don't they usually ramp up the degree of new features like goalie collisions? I bet in the final game, they will not be that bizarre.
Are you new to the series?
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #246
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Are you new to the series?
Haha, no. I have enjoyed recent NHL games. While they have their flaws, I'm confident I will enjoy this one.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #247
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thoughts and prayers.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #248
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton's intro. Looks like Kipper's mask is different too.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #249
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

What an enormous waste of resources.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #250
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I hear that the Canucks entrance involves them all falling when they enter the ice surface.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #251
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
What an enormous waste of resources.
I don't understand the criticism in improving team entrances? What's wrong with putting something that people want?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #252
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I don't understand the criticism in improving team entrances? What's wrong with putting something that people want?
Two things, one it's trotted out as some new and innovative thing when all they've done is added something that they took away years ago. Second, they're adding finishing touches to a product that still has major flaws. There are major issues with AI and just general gameplay that don't appear to have been addressed, but hey look at that giant shark head.

You can put makeup on a pig, but it's still a pig. (Insert fotze's mom joke)
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #253
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Two things, one it's trotted out as some new and innovative thing when all they've done is added something that they took away years ago. Second, they're adding finishing touches to a product that still has major flaws. There are major issues with AI and just general gameplay that don't appear to have been addressed, but hey look at that giant shark head.

You can put makeup on a pig, but it's still a pig. (Insert fotze's mom joke)
Understandable, but it's better to have it back in the game then not to no? And while there are other features of the game that have downfalls (I agree some gameplay mechanics need major overhaul), this type of improvement is tied to presentation alone, so it doesn't really take away from potential gameplay improvements. It's not like authentic entrances means no real time puck physics engine for the year. Criticizing every single thing even when you have to reach to turn it into a negative doesn't make sense.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #254
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually dislike the new entrance. Nice to see things back after years of being removed, but it seems like the opposing team is already on the ice to start the cinematic (against what I remember from games, where the home team steps on to much applause and the road team quietly skates in)

Last edited by kirant; 07-11-2011 at 11:34 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #255
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well from what I remember the away team enters the ice before the home team and gets boo'ed, or is it the refs I am thinking of?..Seems like to keep the entrance time reasonable they cut out the away team skating on the ice, so I am assuming the home team gets more screen time during the warm ups.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 07-11-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #256
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Understandable, but it's better to have it back in the game then not to no? And while there are other features of the game that have downfalls (I agree some gameplay mechanics need major overhaul), this type of improvement is tied to presentation alone, so it doesn't really take away from potential gameplay improvements. It's not like authentic entrances means no real time puck physics engine for the year. Criticizing every single thing even when you have to reach to turn it into a negative doesn't make sense.
Actually adding something like these entrances does take away from other aspects of the game, unless the NHL series is produced on an unlimited budget. They may be completely different aspects, and completely different teams working on them, but dedicating a portion of the effort to bells and whistles when there are fundamental areas that need work bothers me.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #257
likwid888
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I agree with these guys. How often do you actually watch a full entrance when you play? I think EA needs to focus their efforts and man power on adding and repairing existing gameplay elements.

I know we have been spoiled the last few years with the introduction of big features (EASHL, Be a Pro, HUT, Physics engine), but to me, it seems like NHL12 is lacking any exciting changes. The puck physics and goalie collisions intrigue me, but aside from that it's the same old game. I keep waiting for EA to announce something ground-breaking for NHL12, but the onslaught of crappy gimmick videos are making me think there won't be anything.
likwid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #258
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

If they're going to put any effort into animations and celebrations, I'd prefer they'd fix the Stanley Cup win rather than intros. It's been terrible for a long time.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #259
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
If they're going to put any effort into animations and celebrations, I'd prefer they'd fix the Stanley Cup win rather than intros. It's been terrible for a long time.
Too add to this, I know it's not the biggest thing in the world but you should have the option if you want to touch the Prince of Wales and Clarence Campbell tropies if you win them. I don't think it would be hard to throw in a "push x" to lift trophy prompt when you win it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #260
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Too add to this, I know it's not the biggest thing in the world but you should have the option if you want to touch the Prince of Wales and Clarence Campbell tropies if you win them. I don't think it would be hard to throw in a "push x" to lift trophy prompt when you win it.
That would be funny, actually!

Tags
ea sports , goalie collisions , nhl , video games , winter classic