Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 09:50 PM   #2561
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Oh, and hes a hard forechecker, gets dirty, fights for pucks and rarely takes a shift off, if you see him floating it's generally to asses the ice and to understand where he needs to be positionally.

Sorry for the multipost rant, I've been focusing a lot on him in the U18
I have a different view watching the U18's, he has been pretty underwhelming to me given he is playing players his own age and how some are hyping him. I just don't see anything special there.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:19 PM   #2562
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish I could be underwhelming and still have 7 points in 4 games and be top 10 in scoring.

While not having near the type of support the American or Canadian guys in the top 10 would have in their lineups.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 11:46 PM   #2563
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Testa-fy Edition):

For LHC Luca Testa, it's been a tale of two seasons in his draft year, one that came before missing a month due to injury, and the one that came after. Before he got hurt, Testa started the season with 12 points in 13 games for the Brantford Bulldogs, but in the 35 games after he came back in late December, he was only able to muster 13 points. In a 20-game stint between January 13th and March 6, he only put up 3 points with a 12-game drought included, to conclude the regular reason with 14 goals and 25 points in 48 games, with 28 penalty-minutes. Very disappointing, as I was hearing his name a lot earlier in the year as a candidate to go fairly high in the draft. From what I can gather, Testa lost his spot in the lineup while he was away, and only played bottom-6 minutes for the rest of the year upon his return. While I'm hoping there isn't a reason for his demotion that's related to something extracurricular, an argument could be made that he would have had a hard time cracking a talented Bulldogs' top-six anyhow. The 6'0",165lb pivot was taken 15th overall by the London Knights in the 2022 OHL Priority Selection, but was traded to Brantford in January of 2023 in a multi-player trade that saw the Knights aquire Ryan Winterton. The Bulldogs were eliminated in the playoffs by the Ottawa 67's in six games to conclude the 2023-24 season, and Testa didn't contribute any points.

When Testa is on and 100%, he makes an impact on his team's lineup, and he can push pace and drive play at times. He leans towards shooting and finishing over passing as his main contribution to his team's offense, and is blessed with lethal instincts. His shot is a little on the weak side, but his impressive release and remarkable accuracy make up for it, along with his ability to use defenders as screens. Testa expertly finds soft spots in coverage, and has a nose for the net, with the hands to beat goalies 1-on-1. He's very good in-close, and will drive the net to plant himself in front to swat in rebounds, and has the hand-eye coordination to tip, or bat in pucks out of the air. He plays hungry, aggressive, and highly disruptive on the forecheck with no fear in going to the hard areas of the ice to fight for pucks. Bigger opponents don't seem to scare him, and he can play a physical brand of hockey with some big hits to get his team going. Testa flashes some high-end playmaking ability, and demonstrates good vision- he can make complex passes to teammates in high-danger, and delays well in order to find the right play, rather than throwing the puck away, or forcing plays that aren't there.

Testa's skating is above-average perhaps, but he lacks high-end speed, though it helps that he works hard and keeps his feet pumping. His edgework is reasonably good, giving him some escapability, and some mobility in small areas. Despite lacking a separation gear, Testa is still able to push pace, and employs some smooth 1-on-1 dekes and dangles to move through traffic and make defenders miss. He can make defensemen look foolish with his deception game and puck-skills, and competes hard with high motor. Off the puck, he's a smart contributor with his capability in always being available with his stick on the ice for a high-danger pass, and is always a threat. He skates smart routes in support of the play. His defensive play is quite polarizing, and sometimes he looks lost, while standing still and puck-watching, and coasting on the backcheck. There are issues for him in indentifying his man, and he cheats for offense. On a good day, he pressures opponents diligently, removing all time and space, and levels hits to separate man from puck. He has the foresight to intercept passes, and force turnovers, but something isn't clicking for him in his own zone. Upgrading his defense is an absolute must, and he has to get faster and stronger, while upgrading his shot arsenal. Before the injury, I would have said that Testa could make the NHL someday as a middle-6 forward, but scouts might have short memories. Look for him in round 5 or 6.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-01-2024 at 11:50 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 01:44 AM   #2564
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (MiHo Edition):

C/RW Miroslav Holinka is another "asterisk" player, as everything he has showcased this season came in in Czechia's U20 league, which is an inferior level of competition compared to other junior leagues. Holinka played 29 games for HC Ocelari Trinec U20, amassing 20 goals and 41 points, good enough for 39th in scoring but with a ppg of 1.41, which puts him near the top of the list. His efforts in junior earned him a 16-game stint in the Extraliga, Czechia's top league, and he was able to post 3 points. For the post-season, he was sent back to the U20 league, where he was 4th overall in scoring with 14 points in 15 games. Holinka is a bit older than some draft-eligibles, with a November 10th, 2005 birthday, and measures 6'1",and 183 lbs. Versatility is his middle name, as he can play center or wing, both special teams, and makes an impact in both ends of the rink.

Holinka is a two-way C, with effort and awareness in both ends of the rink, garnering good reviews for his play against men in his time in the Extraliga. He is aggressive and tenacious in board battles, staying active and focused while causing havok for opponents in all three zones. He is responsible and disruptive, with high-end defensive awareness and exemplary positioning. He won't cheat for offense, always supporting the play in all three zones, often being the first forward back in the zone and the last to exit on the backcheck. He's effective at taking away the middle, while breaking up plays with his body and stick, and supporting his D down low. At the other end of the ice, he demonstrates quality offensive instincts with excellent IQ and vision- he exhibits patience and makes sound decisions with the puck. He finds and creates open space, and draws defenders towards him to create seams for passing- he sees the ice well, and is a skilled passer. His shot is fairly hard and accurate, and he will attack the crease for tips and rebounds. Holinka's stride is a bit awkward, but he can generate surprising power and mobility from it, with good edges for agility and evasiveness in small areas.

Holinka is competitive, hard-working, and plays with pace. He engages physically, battles hard in front of the net, and is not afraid of the greasy areas of the ice. He possesses excellent puck skill, with quick, smooth hands to handle closely at high speed, and in tight space- skills that make him useful in transition. Often, he looks like he has the puck on a string, and protects well with his body and reach. Holinka has been called a fairly safe pick, but he might not have much offensive upside in the show. If he makes it, it will most likely be as a bottom-6 defensive player, and penalty-killer who can chip in a bit of offense. If he is drafted, it won't be until the late rounds.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 04:19 AM   #2565
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I wish I could be underwhelming and still have 7 points in 4 games and be top 10 in scoring.

While not having near the type of support the American or Canadian guys in the top 10 would have in their lineups.
Work on your game, maybe you will get there.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:58 AM   #2566
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Said it a week ago I don't anticipate being disappointed with any player in that top 12 group.

I've even warmed to the defensive giant after doing some reading on him.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 08:14 AM   #2567
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
He is still the only one I don't want. Anything you read argue that he any kind of offensive game?
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:22 AM   #2568
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
He is still the only one I don't want. Anything you read argue that he any kind of offensive game?
No.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:45 AM   #2569
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Am I the only one who just realized Carter Yakemchuk, a defenseman, scored 30 goals this year in the dub???

That's wild.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:46 AM   #2570
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Nope

But I'm pretty happy with a 6'7" Chris Tanev too.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 08:53 AM   #2571
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any sort of Chris Tanev, even huge, at 9th overall seems like pretty bad value.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 08:54 AM   #2572
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Said it a week ago I don't anticipate being disappointed with any player in that top 12 group.

I am still lukewarm on Zadorov Jr. but agree about the rest.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:56 AM   #2573
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah a 6'7 Chris Tanev at 9th is pretty bad value. Nothing wrong with it, but we need to find some game breakers.

He would be a good 2nd pick with our 1st or 2nd rounder, and yes I know he might not make it.

Him and Lindstrom are the 2 players that would be dissapointing, the rest is great.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:16 AM   #2574
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope

But I'm pretty happy with a 6'7" Chris Tanev too.
I'd rather they take a swing at a guy with top pairing upside but I am fully prepared for them to take the gigantic dman.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:19 AM   #2575
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hagens with another 3 points today against Switzerland. Up to 19 now, 2 back of kucherovs record. He looks unreal
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 09:59 AM   #2576
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1786050359053652114

This is the type of mistake I hope we don't make again.

This guy has also talked about working with the Flames on prior drafts.

He also has some interesting models on stars, and who will be stars going.

His model is also the reason I have a lot of hope the Oilers won't win the cup because they don't have the star power outside of the 2 guys.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 10:28 AM   #2577
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1786050359053652114

This is the type of mistake I hope we don't make again.

This guy has also talked about working with the Flames on prior drafts.

He also has some interesting models on stars, and who will be stars going.

His model is also the reason I have a lot of hope the Oilers won't win the cup because they don't have the star power outside of the 2 guys.
His model would have also led to this team drafting Ayrton Martino and Sasha Pastujov over Stankoven in the 2nd round as they were his 13th, and 14th rated prospects in that draft. His model had Mason McTavish at 22. His model didn't have Wyatt Johnston as a 1st round talent. I could go on and on. An NHLe/purely production driven model is borderline useless in my estimation, but of course it will have it's "hits" along the way too..

Julien Gauthier was used as a draft year comparison for Stankoven for crying out loud.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 10:33 AM   #2578
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering for draft comparables to Stankoven he used 3 guys who even he said are "busts", Gauthier and Carrier, he didn't think much of Stankoven either.

Both Stankoven & Stromgren looked to be long shots based on this model, so far Stankoven's been much better than anticipated, Stromgren a little further behind.
Icon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:44 AM   #2579
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
His model would have also led to this team drafting Ayrton Martino and Sasha Pastujov over Stankoven in the 2nd round as they were his 13th, and 14th rated prospects in that draft. His model had Mason McTavish at 22. His model didn't have Wyatt Johnston as a 1st round talent. I could go on and on. An NHLe/purely production driven model is borderline useless in my estimation, but of course it will have it's "hits" along the way too..

Julien Gauthier was used as a draft year comparison for Stankoven for crying out loud.
This.
You never hear him speak about all the blunders/misses he makes, he wouldn't post that because negative views etc. But because he's a content creator, he sure likes to throw out all the "told ya so" model projections when one of them hits.

It goes to show you just how volatile drafting can be, for every Kucherov/Johnny etc you've got a dozen+ Greg Nemisz/Julien Gauthier/Sasha Pastujov scenarios where they were taken WAY higher than they ever lived up to.

It's why having a great scouting staff is KEY and making sure you hit on your top 3 round picks equates in success.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:19 AM   #2580
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

Martino is looking like an utterly fantastic pick. Probably the fastest skater in the NCAA.

Pastujov also a great pick. Not far from 2 points per game in the OHL, followed by a great rookie AHL season for a third round pick. Underrated defensively.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft