Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #2541
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
the M4 is not growing on me yet but I've built/priced an M240i several times over the last months. I am lusting over one in Thundernight metallic. Front end on it with the black package works for me.
Yeah, the M240i is awesome and has a more traditional grill. Not a fan of that colour, though.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #2542
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The car to wait for is the new M2.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #2543
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The car to wait for is the new M2.
Totally.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #2544
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are aftermarket grilles for the M3/M4 that make it look more like the F80.
They are gross.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #2545
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They are gross.
I don't know about that, the beaver teeth are pretty polarizing. The fact every press photo on launch had a euro plate up front told me even BMW Marketing isn't the biggest fan of the design language.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #2546
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know about that, the beaver teeth are pretty polarizing.
I think they just don't photograph well. I think they look good in person on the M3/M4. The regular 4 series doesn't look as good in person though. That latest aftermarket bumper floating around on Bimmerpost is laughably ugly IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #2547
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The grilles don't bother me. But that's because the BMW design language already lost me a couple of generations ago, and at this stage I just don't care anymore.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #2548
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lost you a couple generations ago? The F80/F82 are among the nicest looking BMWs ever made.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #2549
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, just not a fan of that generation either. It's just a lot of swoops, angry shapes and bulging hoods, thrown onto the page without any cohesion or elegance...basically like all BMWs now. The last 3 series you could say I still liked the styling of was the E90-93 (mostly in coupe form), and even those were not on the same level as the 80s/90s classics.

I used to love the brand, but they've completely lost me from a design standpoint.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 02:10 PM   #2550
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Meh, just not a fan of that generation either. It's just a lot of swoops, angry shapes and bulging hoods, thrown onto the page without any cohesion or elegance...basically like all BMWs now. The last 3 series you could say I still liked the styling of was the E90-93 (mostly in coupe form), and even those were not on the same level as the 80s/90s classics.

I used to love the brand, but they've completely lost me from a design standpoint.
I kind of always felt the E9x looked fat, bloated and too much like a Pontiac G8. One of my least favorite generations aesthetically. I feel F8x looks leaner and more elegant.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #2551
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ford Lighting frunk. This thing is monstrous. Fantastic. But then it got me thinking, why are we building EV trucks like this? Sure, the Lighting has a real length box. That's good. But it serves to make the truck long. The Rivian is similar, though scaled down. By having a traditional truck shape, they have a puny impractical 4.5 foot bed. I think it's time to get creative here. Shrink the front end, move the cab forward, and get the benefit of a real bed(and keep your silly 4 doors, since everyone seems to want that...). Why does an EV truck need a massive front end? It doesn't.

Really, I just want a small truck with a useful bed, and this seems a good way to get it. But with EV's it should open up some new configurations. And ya, I've seen the Canoe, bring it on. More experimentation!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #2552
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You won't get the old cab over the front wheels design because it is a death trap in small overlap collisions.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #2553
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You won't get the old cab over the front wheels design because it is a death trap in small overlap collisions.
I don't mean full cab over, but more like a van configuration with a bed. If a Ford Transit can exist, so can a short fronted truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #2554
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only reason van-chassis pickups exist is space constraints demanding it. Stuff like this is popular in Europe only because of crappy little European streets:

There is no such constraint in North America.

I think the frunk is a brilliant idea that obviates the "need" for a tonneau cover over the bed. It's a nice, big, safe place for cargo that you want to keep dry and locked away, and much easier to deal with than a tonneau. Perfect place for groceries and such, rather than rattling around the back of the bed.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:50 PM   #2555
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
The only reason van-chassis pickups exist is space constraints demanding it. Stuff like this is popular in Europe only because of crappy little European streets:

There is no such constraint in North America.

I think the frunk is a brilliant idea that obviates the "need" for a tonneau cover over the bed. It's a nice, big, safe place for cargo that you want to keep dry and locked away, and much easier to deal with than a tonneau. Perfect place for groceries and such, rather than rattling around the back of the bed.
For sure it's a great idea. Doesn't mean every EV pickup needs that design though.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:02 PM   #2556
Circa89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anybody know if there is a stolen car group on Facebook or somewhere? There is a very sus M3 parked in front of my house for 3+weeks. Not the neighbours. Hasn’t moved in close to a month, never seen this car previously. Thinking of reporting it to parking authorities but wanted to see if I could be an internet sleuth first
Circa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:20 PM   #2557
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa89 View Post
Anybody know if there is a stolen car group on Facebook or somewhere? There is a very sus M3 parked in front of my house for 3+weeks. Not the neighbours. Hasn’t moved in close to a month, never seen this car previously. Thinking of reporting it to parking authorities but wanted to see if I could be an internet sleuth first
A call to the CPS non emerg number with the license plate should do the trick.
Parking Authority won't do anything but maybe tow it and maybe three weeks from now.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 11:47 PM   #2558
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Shrink the front end, move the cab forward, and get the benefit of a real bed(and keep your silly 4 doors, since everyone seems to want that...).
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 06:48 AM   #2559
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Really, I just want a small truck with a useful bed, and this seems a good way to get it. But with EV's it should open up some new configurations. And ya, I've seen the Canoe, bring it on. More experimentation!
Small trucks are niche as they come and go every few decades. Back in fashion now but most of them will be gone by the end of the decade. The only constant in the North American auto industry is our love for full sized pickup trucks. As long as Americans continue to buy based on "bigger is better" this will never change.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:45 AM   #2560
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's room for both. Keep the full size trucks as-is, and supplement with more experimental options. If a company like Ford can have a slew of SUVs/Crossovers options like they do now (I count 8 different models on their website), surely they have room for one experimental format truck too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: