Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2023, 04:13 PM   #2501
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I had no issue with that part. It’s basically the same as Star Trek III when Kirk and crew stole the Enterprise and operated it without anyone else on board. You just have to go with it.
That should be the slogan of the next Star Trek series.

"Star Trek: You Just Have to Go With It."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2023, 05:41 PM   #2502
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

So who was that face that Vadek was communicating with?
Old 04-23-2023, 06:31 PM   #2503
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Changeling Borg Queen?

Look...I'm not going to pretend that this season of Picard was theoretically perfect. It was far, far from that, most of it doesnt make any goddamned sense, I'll just say that it was a lot more fun than the last couple of seasons.

It was interesting television experience.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-23-2023, 07:17 PM   #2504
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
This was spoiled for me early on as some subtitles in Europe actually said "Borg Queen" as the speaking voice.

In any case, if you look closely the floating face has a messed-up side just like the Borg queen make-up had a Two Face look to her so it was her.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 11:32 AM   #2505
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
One thing about the D I don't understand though is in TNG, that ship had thousands of crew members, hundreds of which were in engineering keeping the thing running. Was there some massive leap in automation in the last 20 years making it possible for a handful of bridge crew to do everything?
I had problems rationalizing this for a long time. What really got me were the old movies that showed how lower rank crew had to bunk up frequently. Always bugged me because we saw that same crew steal the Enterprise and operate it alone with 6 people.

IMO the only way to justify it (and this can be backed up by statements elsewhere, particularly when Wesley is readying for the academy) is that the sheer volume of incoming recruits into star fleet is totally unmanageable, and even with near infinite resources, they can't create enough raw ships and competent command crews to spread the recruits out more thoroughly. So instead, recruits are sardined into existing ships with proven commanders to the absolute limit possible. That's also why there's seemingly plenty of make work tasks in their duty requirements. Finally, this is also why we have seen everyone competent (minus Kim and O'Brien) receive their own ships after due course- the ultimate number of ships isn't the limiting factor, rather the speed at which it takes them to construct and operate the ships, and train effective command crews.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 12:02 PM   #2506
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I had no issue with that part. It’s basically the same as Star Trek III when Kirk and crew stole the Enterprise and operated it without anyone else on board. You just have to go with it.
It reminded me very much of Kirk & co. stealing Enterprise in that movie, but in that case the jury-rigged automation system Scotty set up was quickly overwhelmed when fighting the Klingons, and failed entirely after being hit only once by them.

Whereas in Picard, they had four people take the Enterprise-D into combat with the Borg, fly a very complex route into the middle of the cube (à la Death Star destruction in Return of the Jedi...), use the transporter to rescue the other four of their party, and come out entirely unscathed.

I found it rather silly and hard to believe within the logic of the show, and if they'd had maybe another two or three people in main engineering, it would have gone a long way. But then again, this is a science fiction fantasy show with a fairly flimsy premise as it is, so, whatever...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 12:37 PM   #2507
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I giggled when it came out of the starbase with the typical random "lights left on" pattern on the ship. "It only has, like, 6 people on it! Why are so many lights on!"
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 12:43 PM   #2508
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I giggled when it came out of the starbase with the typical random "lights left on" pattern on the ship. "It only has, like, 6 people on it! Why are so many lights on!"
How many light switches have you seen on the Enterprise?

They are either on or they are off.

Old 04-24-2023, 12:45 PM   #2509
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, so now that the show is over I read a rumour that there is a scene with 'Captain' Harry Kim that they deleted from the show.

Which is good! Because I want him to be the oldest Ensign in Starfleet!

He's too old to have been Borgified...what was he doing during this fleet-wide crisis? Not vacuuming carpet thats for sure!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 12:57 PM   #2510
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly I kept waiting for them to pull out that ridiculous flight stick controller that they used in Insurrection when Riker basically flew the enterprise like a WW2 fighter.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 01:20 PM   #2511
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is INTENSELY Harry Kim if they left him on the edit floor without mention after filming said scene.

I hope this is true lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 01:21 PM   #2512
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Honestly I kept waiting for them to pull out that ridiculous flight stick controller that they used in Insurrection when Riker basically flew the enterprise like a WW2 fighter.
I had the exact joystick they used in this scene to play flight simulator on LOL. That was a bit of a suspension of disbelief ruinor for me.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:40 PM   #2513
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've played enough games on my iPad to know that trying to pilot something with a touchscreen is nearly impossible.

Suspension of disbelief challenged whenever the D does amazing maneuvers based on slamming your fingers into a piece of smooth glass.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:42 PM   #2514
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Data a touchscreen is no problemo.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:43 PM   #2515
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
It reminded me very much of Kirk & co. stealing Enterprise in that movie, but in that case the jury-rigged automation system Scotty set up was quickly overwhelmed when fighting the Klingons, and failed entirely after being hit only once by them.

Whereas in Picard, they had four people take the Enterprise-D into combat with the Borg, fly a very complex route into the middle of the cube (à la Death Star destruction in Return of the Jedi...), use the transporter to rescue the other four of their party, and come out entirely unscathed.

I found it rather silly and hard to believe within the logic of the show, and if they'd had maybe another two or three people in main engineering, it would have gone a long way. But then again, this is a science fiction fantasy show with a fairly flimsy premise as it is, so, whatever...
Did you miss the fact that La Forge said he had drones loading torpedoes? He probably has drones all over the ship doing basic functions. He probably used them while rebuilding the ship in his garage over the 20 years. After TNG we found out there are lots of automation technologies that became available after the Galaxy-class was built, including emergency holograms that do everything from medicine to janitorial work.

If I am questioning anything, it's what are these drones?

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-24-2023 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:44 PM   #2516
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always assumed that there are more haptic controls than we are able to perceive on those displays. Similar to how Asimov describes the computer terminal in Foundation and Earth
Old 04-24-2023, 01:45 PM   #2517
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I've played enough games on my iPad to know that trying to pilot something with a touchscreen is nearly impossible.

Suspension of disbelief challenged whenever the D does amazing maneuvers based on slamming your fingers into a piece of smooth glass.
That whole scene was ridiculous logistically to begin with, these are huge battleships. It was certainly neat and visually exciting to see the ship zipping through a Borg cube like the Millenium Falcon on the way to the middle of the second Death Star but come on.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 01:51 PM   #2518
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
That whole scene was ridiculous logistically to begin with, these are huge battleships. It was certainly neat and visually exciting to see the ship zipping through a Borg cube like the Millenium Falcon on the way to the middle of the second Death Star but come on.
While Locutus, Picard subconsciously incepted an idea into the Collective that all future cubes need to include an exactly Galaxy sized cut-out in the outer hull so that he could re-live his favorite 20th century film - Return of the Jedi.

At least the Falcon entered into a giant round port (of something clearly under construction and thus still mostly framework) and not a cookie cutter hole that was exactly the same shape as the Falcon by pure coincidence.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:54 PM   #2519
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we going to discuss the ridiculousness of a communication device being the piece that holds the cube together? "They'll never take it out, that radio is structural!".
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 01:55 PM   #2520
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
While Locutus, Picard subconsciously incepted an idea into the Collective that all future cubes need to include an exactly Galaxy sized cut-out in the outer hull so that he could re-live his favorite 20th century film - Return of the Jedi.

At least the Falcon entered into a giant round port (of something clearly under construction and thus still mostly framework) and not a cookie cutter hole that was exactly the same shape as the Falcon by pure coincidence.
And here lies the biggest single problem with the Trek universe since 2009. It was primarily led by Star Wars fans. Self admitted.