Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #2501
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

As long as they don't plaster giant advertisements on them...some of the current trains are basically moving billboards. Looks so bad.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #2502
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
As long as they don't plaster giant advertisements on them...some of the current trains are basically moving billboards. Looks so bad.
Do you honestly think there's any chance of that happening?

I assume the only thing preventing every bus and C-train car in this city from being covered in those full-wrap ads is the lack of companies willing to pay for them.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #2503
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Anyone notice recently that ctrain drivers have been more active with announcing minor delays like traffic or red lights?

Must be a new initiative by the city and I like it. Keeping the public informed and in turn less angry tweets thrown at them haha.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #2504
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda grinds my gears how for every 69th St train, there's like 3-4 Tuscany trains in between them. 69th is newer but pretty established and busy now. While it's not near gong show busy that is Somerset, it's not the spacious luxury cruise it was just over a year ago either.

Just annoying how if you miss that train even in rush hour, you gotta wait like 10min for the next one, meanwhile Tuscany is coming by seemingly every 2-3min. At least from the eyeball test at City Hall station after work, that line doesn't seem to have way more people waiting for it than my one. I don't get it.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #2505
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Anyone notice recently that ctrain drivers have been more active with announcing minor delays like traffic or red lights?

Must be a new initiative by the city and I like it. Keeping the public informed and in turn less angry tweets thrown at them haha.
When I was a part of the Customer Advisory Group, this was one of the small things that we were pushing for as the reduction uncertainty makes a massive difference to riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Kinda grinds my gears how for every 69th St train, there's like 3-4 Tuscany trains in between them. 69th is newer but pretty established and busy now. While it's not near gong show busy that is Somerset, it's not the spacious luxury cruise it was just over a year ago either.
As nearly every train that heads to the gong show that is Somerset returns to Tuscany, they are going to have the same frequency. Furthermore, the Northwest branch of the 201 probably does have triple to quadruple the ridership of the West branch of the 202. The statistics are no longer on CT's website but the West branch had by far the lowest ridership of all four branches the last time the statistics were available.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #2506
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it wasn't so much about the Tuscany frequency as the 69 St infrequency, as its a sad comparable of how far off 69 is. 3min in the heart of rush hr is about what it should be for most of Calgary. I'm not saying I expect 69 to be the same, it's a new line so I'm sure it does have the least amount of riders. I'd just like to see it at around 5min during rush hr.

Been taking that train for close to 2 years, there's been a pretty dramatic increase in riders in that time. Especially this past September, it feels like an extra 15K+ moved to the area seemingly overnight by looking at the AM train. I went from easily getting a seat with room to spare every time to now standing most of the time. Yet it feels like there's been no increase whatsoever in train frequency in that time. I think it's probably due for a reevaluation.

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-02-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #2507
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way to increase frequency during rush hour of the west leg would be to decrease frequency of the NW/SE leg due to interlining. 7th st is at capacity. Since that one is busier, there is no chance you will get what you want. Be happy you have a train, try taking a bus up North Centre, or 4th st. Travel 1 hour to go 5 km some days. I can walk quicker. And usually do.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #2508
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

When in December does 4 car trains start?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #2509
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
November 13.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #2510
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
November 13.
They need the new cars to start coming before many trains can be 4 cars.

While technically, 4 cars trains started in November, it will be spring before there's enough new LRVs to make 4 car trains common.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #2511
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I mean when do I see every CTrain with 4 cars. They're kinda unicorns now
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #2512
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I mean when do I see every CTrain with 4 cars. They're kinda unicorns now
Undetermined.

The current order of 63 cars has 35 allotted to 4 car implementation, with the remaining cars to be used to replace some of the oldest model of cars, which will be retired.

In order to implement 4 car trains 100% of the time, about another 30 cars would be needed on a subsequent order. The current fleet is 192 cars, adding a car to each 3 car subset means 64 additional cars total. More cars are also needed to replace all of the oldest model of vehicles (about 55).

In the interim, available cars will likely be strategically implemented so that 4 car service is more heavily concentrated during rush hour and for events (Flames games, Stampeders games, concerts, Stampede, etc.).
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #2513
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, the current order of trains will be delivered one by one over the course of a over a year. Each car then needs to be tested and commissioned by Calgary Transit.

As a result, 4 car service will gradually increase over the next year or so.

Last edited by frinkprof; 12-03-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #2514
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Undetermined.

The current order of 63 cars has 35 allotted to 4 car implementation, with the remaining cars to be used to replace some of the oldest model of cars, which will be retired.

In order to implement 4 car trains 100% of the time, about another 30 cars would be needed on a subsequent order. The current fleet is 192 cars, adding a car to each 3 car subset means 64 additional cars total. More cars are also needed to replace all of the oldest model of vehicles (about 55).

In the interim, available cars will likely be strategically implemented so that 4 car service is more heavily concentrated during rush hour and for events (Flames games, Stampeders games, concerts, Stampede, etc.).
The current order of LRVs in 63.

By my rough calculations, to go fully 4 car trains, and to replace all of the aging U2 cars, an additional 100-120 new cars will be needed. If we ordered those extras today, by the time they got here, the oldest "new" cars will be rapidly approaching the end of their service life.

Calgary is going to have to order nearly a billion dollars worth of LRVs in the next 10 years, just for the existing lines. The green line will take another 150 LRVs or so.

In total, Calgary Transit might be ordering 300 more LRVs by 2022-2025.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #2515
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Calgary Public Transit - Discussion

Double post

Last edited by Drummer; 12-04-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #2516
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was under the impression that the security cameras at the C-Train stations were live monitored 24/7. Thinking about what happened at the Tuscany station and how the graffiti artists got away.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #2517
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Muta posted this in the Development thread, but figure it's best put here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
"Calgary mulls downtown Green Line LRT route options"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...town-1.3362093

I personally think this should be done properly. Spend the money, put it underground (as much as possible) like most modern cities do. Leaves the Centre Street bridge open to vehicles, bikes and current traffic. I feel any other option will simply slow any type of existing commute without massively altering the Centre Street landscape.

Vancouver's train line goes underground, and it works EXTREMELY well through the neighbourhoods.
The line should be grade-separated, preferrably underground through the entirety of downtown and Beltline. From the Bow River to the Elbow River.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #2518
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Muta posted this in the Development thread, but figure it's best put here:

The line should be grade-separated, preferrably underground through the entirety of downtown and Beltline. From the Bow River to the Elbow River.
I would like to see the cost of underground vs elevated, and what elevated would actually look like. Scared it could be ugly as sin .
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #2519
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
I would like to see the cost of underground vs elevated, and what elevated would actually look like. Scared it could be ugly as sin .
Elevated can be done in a more innovative, aesthetically-pleasing way. However, I worry that it can't be done in an innovative, aesthetically pleasing way for much cheaper than underground. I also worry that it can't be done very well in Calgary due to existing plus 15 bridges as well as the effect it will have on the at-grade street environment in Calgary's climate, with shadows and supports.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #2520
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Photos of the Siemens S200 LRVs being manufactured in Sacramento:

All from

http://carsandtrains.com/calgary9/

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings