Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2022, 08:24 AM   #2481
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I always think it will take 30 minutes, but I seem awesome at stretching it out to an hour.
I find the actual time to lift the car and gun the lugs off doesn't take that long. It's the prep time that draws things out - getting the tools and equipment out, checking for nails, inflating the tires, and worst of all - hauling the tires down from the racks mounted high on the garage wall. (I have limited floor space in my 22x21 garage). Then repeat to put it all away.

Aside from the inevitable hernia - if I have the time it's actually 2 hrs of enjoyable 'me' time. 2 hrs of vintage Top Gear on the garage TV, beers, and working on cars. Nice if I have the time.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 08:50 AM   #2482
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I find the actual time to lift the car and gun the lugs off doesn't take that long. It's the prep time that draws things out - getting the tools and equipment out, checking for nails, inflating the tires, and worst of all - hauling the tires down from the racks mounted high on the garage wall. (I have limited floor space in my 22x21 garage). Then repeat to put it all away.

Aside from the inevitable hernia - if I have the time it's actually 2 hrs of enjoyable 'me' time. 2 hrs of vintage Top Gear on the garage TV, beers, and working on cars. Nice if I have the time.
Yeah, so true. It is the prep. Actual job isn't the worst.

My son did a great job helping this year, so that was a bonus. He did the last wheel completely without help...took it off, labelled it, put the new one on, torqued the lugs and inflated it up to the correct pressure. Teaching him was pretty cool...he's helped before, but this was the first year he could manage things without me directing every move (he's 15).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #2483
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always wear a weight lifting belt when I do the tires. I have to haul the tires from the shed. With 17-18 inch tire on the vehicles now, they are really hefty. I also always do alloys for my winters. It costs more, looks nicer, less rust, but holy hell the main reason is the weight difference between the steelies and alloys is quite noticeable when pulling them out of storage.

I find I often think I'll take 30 minutes, but it takes closer to 45-55 mins due to prep and small things. Some small things seem trivial but do add around 1-2 minutes per tire which slowly adds up to that 15 minute time overage. I pulled the trigger on a wireless torque wrench. That should save about 5 minutes of detangling extension cords, plugging in, moving the cord around and the occasional snags when transitioning from tire to tire.

Do other people not clean the threads before putting the tire back on? I usually wipe off any basic dust and dirt using my glove and occasionally I'll put a drop of some type of lube before tightening the nut, especially if I see a hint of a film of rust.

I gotta buy that oil pen to replace the permanent marker to label the tires. I think that'll also be pretty sweet in terms of replacing the chalk/permanent market method I was using before.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #2484
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It usually takes at least an hour for me and likely longer but I take my time cleaning the hubs, brake calipers (I like to keep the Brembos shiny), and generally inspecting brake lines, etc. The 21 inch wheels/tires on my X3M were also pretty heavy so to save my back I take my time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #2485
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use a bit of anti-seize on lug nuts. You can get it in a tube like lipstick and just rub it on one side, the nuts spread it across the threads. Just takes a second, never had an issue with seized lugnuts.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 09:15 AM   #2486
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I don't put jack #### on my lug nuts.

Guess that's another little mini job I can add to this process for next year.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:18 AM   #2487
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Lube or anti-seize on lug nuts is a very controversial topic on the Interwebz. You can find proponents on both sides (to use and to not).

TireRack.com recommends not putting anything on the thread or seats (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=107).

Last edited by d00little; 10-06-2022 at 09:20 AM.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d00little For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 09:21 AM   #2488
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
Lube or anti-seize on lug nuts is a very controversial topic on the Interwebz. You can find proponents on both sides (to use and to not).
I only put a light brushing on hubs and that's for the winter wheels only as I don't use any for the summer wheels. I've had a few winter wheels stick to the hup pretty good. Never used it on lug nuts.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #2489
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same here, hubs yes but nuts no
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #2490
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any lube on the studs can lead to over torqued lug nuts. The torque specified in the manual is a dry torque.

Also if you have a stubborn or siezed lug nut you are far better to remove it with an impact wrench than a long bar. An impact wrench will rattle it free with less chance of breaking the stud. If you break a stud while removing lug nuts with an impact then it was compromised and needed to be replaced anyway. If you break a stud with a long bar the Stud could have been fine but you may have imparted a sideways force on the stud and broken it.

Ideal setup is an impact to remove nuts. Only light torque with impact on installation and then finish the torque with a torque wrench.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #2491
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post

TireRack.com recommends not putting anything on the thread or seats (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=107).
Oh, I know. But I've done it for years, and when I worked in a shop they did it for decades. Never had one come loose, or a customer come back with issues, so I'm sticking with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #2492
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Same here, hubs yes but nuts no
You don't lube your nuts?
Old 10-06-2022, 10:11 AM   #2493
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had a flat that the wheel stuck to the hub a number of years ago, making it a hell of a time to do a roadside switch to my spare. After that I started putting a bit of anti seize on.

Some good info here on grease on the threads though. I didn’t think of the torque difference dry or greased.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #2494
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don’t lubricate wheel studs. I’m not aware of any OEM procedure that calls for that. There’s no need, and they’re intended to be torqued dry.
L
Old 10-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #2495
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
You don't lube your nuts?
Driveshaft only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Any lube on the studs can lead to over torqued lug nuts. The torque specified in the manual is a dry torque.

Also if you have a stubborn or siezed lug nut you are far better to remove it with an impact wrench than a long bar. An impact wrench will rattle it free with less chance of breaking the stud. If you break a stud while removing lug nuts with an impact then it was compromised and needed to be replaced anyway. If you break a stud with a long bar the Stud could have been fine but you may have imparted a sideways force on the stud and broken it.

Ideal setup is an impact to remove nuts. Only light torque with impact on installation and then finish the torque with a torque wrench.
Are you talking about loosening the lug nuts before lifting the car?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2022, 10:14 AM   #2496
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My old car broke down and I picked up a 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD (AWD/Dual motor is way out of my budget).

I used to have an AWD SUV with all seasons and that was fine but being RWD, I'm concerned about winter tires. I'm really confused by a lot of the options out there. I think for maximum safety and to deal with black ice conditions, I should get studded tires?

I'm between two extremes right now:

NOKIAN TYRES
HAKKAPELIITTA 10 STUDDED - $336.78/tire

or go the budget route

ZETA ANTARCTICA SPORT + STUDS - 198.69/tire

I also need a set of wheels for this so that I don't need to do a tire swap every season. I've also heard concerns about tire installers that don't lift the vehicle with the battery correctly which could cause damage.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #2497
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not sure you need studded in Calgary? Others may be able to chime in but I think a good winter should be sufficient for 95% of Calgary driving days.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #2498
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely don't need studded, but the Hakkas are worth the extra coin.

I need to get new winters just due to the age of mine, tires are almost ten years old now. Still good tread but I'm going to have to be on the lookout. Problem is I need 3 sets in the next 12 months or so... does anyone in town do a good deal for buying multiples like that?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #2499
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the excess weight of a Tesla, studded tires might not be the worst idea for stopping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #2500
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I'm not sure you need studded in Calgary? Others may be able to chime in but I think a good winter should be sufficient for 95% of Calgary driving days.
You don't "need" studded in Calgary. But if you're the type that lets tires get super old (because drive little and tons of tread) or if you like to drive speed limit during snow storms, or live on a house on a hill that occasionally ices over, I guess you can consider them an inexpensive performance feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Definitely don't need studded, but the Hakkas are worth the extra coin.

I need to get new winters just due to the age of mine, tires are almost ten years old now. Still good tread but I'm going to have to be on the lookout. Problem is I need 3 sets in the next 12 months or so... does anyone in town do a good deal for buying multiples like that?
I've always been happy with UrbanX. You can always call them and ask if doing something like that would yield some form of benefit. The worst they can say is no.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: