Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #2441
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

That Sarcee/Glenmore/SWRR plate of spaghetti is awesome.
chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chalms04 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #2442
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome to look at in an animation but seriously at this point... I feel like people know the road is getting built, but I'm not sure they're entirely aware of the carnage the province is about to lay on the west side of the city. The before and after of what they're doing to the Sarcee/Glenmore intersection is some combination of hilarious and horrifying.

Spoiler!

For context you're looking south down Sarcee with Glenmore going east to west from left to right. Sorta.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #2443
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I like all the sudden dips, bumps and craters in our cheaply built and poorly thought out ring road.

what were they thinking when they were developing glenmmore east turning north on to Stoney......oh look a squirrel.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #2444
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Awesome to look at in an animation but seriously at this point... I feel like people know the road is getting built, but I'm not sure they're entirely aware of the carnage the province is about to lay on the west side of the city. The before and after of what they're doing to the Sarcee/Glenmore intersection is some combination of hilarious and horrifying.

Spoiler!

For context you're looking south down Sarcee with Glenmore going east to west from left to right. Sorta.
I like it. Comes with being a growing city.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #2445
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's one of those things... it's a big pill to swallow but ultimately it just has to happen... and the sooner, the better. It only gets more expensive to build big projects.

Time to get over it and get to work on this thing. It will make the city SO much better connected on the west side.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #2446
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If it wasn't for the "Top-Down" leadership of the Great Allison Redford, this road would have never got built.

The City didn't get a hero it wanted......It got a hero it needed

See Below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtaVrUAPK0
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #2447
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If the modeling in this video is to scale can someone tell me why a highway or ring road would require approximately 100m of green median space?

When I looked at the video and did a rough calculation it appears as though there is 100m of median along the highway 8 section. That seems like overkill and a lot of wasted space.

I wonder how the folks along that western edge with their million+ homes feel about this infrastructure project. The Slopes in particular will become a lot less attractive. Their secluded, mountain and foothills view will certainly suck when an 8 lane highway is put in.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 08-27-2014 at 09:00 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #2448
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
If the modeling in this video is to scale can someone tell me why a highway or ring road would require approximately 100m of green median space?

When I looked at the video and did a rough calculation it appears as though there is 100m of median along the highway 8 section. That seems like overkill and a lot of wasted space.
I think they leave those kinds of big spaces to accomodate future expansion without the need to tear a whole bunch of stuff down to do it.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #2449
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

It may not be 100 metres, but they are leaving room to expand. By having huge medians the cost isn't that much more. However if the demand warrants they could go from 3 lanes each way to 5 or even 6 lanes without having to build new bridges, overpasses and underpasses.

Imaging if Deerfoot had been built with that in mind.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #2450
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
It may not be 100 metres, but they are leaving room to expand. By having huge medians the cost isn't that much more. However if the demand warrants they could go from 3 lanes each way to 5 or even 6 lanes without having to build new bridges, overpasses and underpasses.

Imaging if Deerfoot had been built with that in mind.
When I look at modeling the various bridges and elevated sections do not appear to be designed for additional future lanes. If additional widening was necessary the elevated sections would require additional widening.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #2451
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two additional carriageways will be built in the median, with the existing road become a collector/distributor system like the 401 in Toronto or the Dan Ryan in Chicago. As far as Deerfoot being like that... I dunno. Freeways like that tend to ruin cities.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #2452
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing that strikes me as being odd or poorly planned is why they would decide to only have two lanes moving traffic between the southern part of Sarcee and the western part of highway 8. I would think designing it with three lanes would be better especially considering the main purpose of the road and that most of the traffic will be flowing along those two lane sections. I'm expecting that to be a bottleneck area.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #2453
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Two additional carriageways will be built in the median, with the existing road become a collector/distributor system like the 401 in Toronto or the Dan Ryan in Chicago. As far as Deerfoot being like that... I dunno. Freeways like that tend to ruin cities.
The very first thing I thought of while watching that video. I know they're looking down the line for when that may become necessary but wow when you consider the traffic the 401 sees in a day vs. the traffic this highway would see I just think that must be quite a far way off. Unless the city of course has a continuing development boom and pushes the suburbs of the city to cochrane and beyond.

I drove the stoney all the way from the airport to okotoks the other day and I must say that is some smooth sailing on that highway. I can't believe though that it's only 100. With the design of it you'd swear it was built for driving 140.
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #2454
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Wow, that's quite the monstrosity. Major damage to the Weaselhead.

I live in this area. Is there even a need for this road? I'm perfectly fine taking 14th to Glenmore to get west of the city. Granted, I don't work out that way, so I'm never taking those roads during rush hour, but this all seems planned to take care of demand that may or may not exist in the future.

The guys over at SSP don't care for it either by the way - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...59#post6706359
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #2455
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they put up wildlife exclusion fencing so that road doesn't become a killing field. They should have done that for the sections of the SE ring road near fish creek.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #2456
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
I'm perfectly fine taking 14th to Glenmore to get west of the city. Granted, I don't work out that way, so I'm never taking those roads during rush hour
You should really try that route at 5:00 on a Friday. Especially if there's been an accident anywhere along that route.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #2457
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I hope they put up wildlife exclusion fencing so that road doesn't become a killing field. They should have done that for the sections of the SE ring road near fish creek.
Wha? The SE portion of Stoney is nowhere near Fish Creek.

Edit: Ah. The Bow River at 22x. Nevermind.
Barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #2458
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strathcona Street and bridge over Sarcee Trail appear to be a road and bridge to no where.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #2459
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Wow, that's quite the monstrosity. Major damage to the Weaselhead.

I live in this area. Is there even a need for this road? I'm perfectly fine taking 14th to Glenmore to get west of the city. Granted, I don't work out that way, so I'm never taking those roads during rush hour, but this all seems planned to take care of demand that may or may not exist in the future.

The guys over at SSP don't care for it either by the way - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...59#post6706359
There is huge demand right now for it. It will also keep many trucks off of Glenmore Trail.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #2460
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
You should really try that route at 5:00 on a Friday. Especially if there's been an accident anywhere along that route.
That's fair. Something certainly needs to be done. But is a potential 16 lane freeway the answer?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote