Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #2441
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Wouldn't the poles stay brighter consistently? or does the brightness at the poles fluctuate?

If they stay brighter than the equator consistently, then wouldn't that not contribute to the fluctuation? They'd have those patches every time they were observed and something else would have to explain the massive occasional decrease in the light from the star?

Last edited by polak; 10-27-2015 at 03:17 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:15 PM   #2442
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Asteroid dubbed the Halloween Skull asteroid zipped by earth today.

Quote:
A large space rock resembling a skull narrowly missed Earth shortly after 1 p.m. ET Saturday. NASA says asteroid 2015 TB145 is a "dead" comet that once spewed debris across the solar system. In NASA terminology, that means it has "shed its volatiles" that would produce the visible tail seen on some comets.

It missed Earth by about 300,000 miles (slightly farther away than the moon). The rock, dubbed 2015 TB145, was visible to those with good telescopes.

It's a good thing it missed our planet, though. The asteroid is estimated to be 600 meters wide and traveling at 78,000 mph. By comparison, the meteorite that exploded in the sky over Chelyabinsk, Russia, in 2013 was about 20 meters wide.

Close call.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #2443
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Did they know it was coming?
Old 10-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #2444
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Yes, but that doesn't mean it was invited.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #2445
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It was discovered 3 weeks ago, alarming for how big it was.

For how fast it was going had it hit say in a farmers field near Olds it would have created a crater 5 miles wide and 2000 feet deep.

From Calgary and Red Deer you would have under 2 minutes to get deep underground before the ejecta arrives with 400mph winds. In other words both cities pretty much destroyed.
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #2446
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

we should really invest more in detection satellites. I thought they were really good at catching the big ones and fairly good at the small ones if they're coming at us as they go towards the sun.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #2447
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah human life is so contingent.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #2448
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Detecting them is one thing, but being able to do anything about it is another. I suppose if it was a devastating one, but not an extinction level event, then you could at least evacuate some people.

If an extinction meteor was heading for Earth, I would rather not even know.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #2449
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Detecting them is one thing, but being able to do anything about it is another. I suppose if it was a devastating one, but not an extinction level event, then you could at least evacuate some people.

I would want to know where it's heading so I could greet it with open arms. faster that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #2450
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would want to know. I'm not wasting my last days on earth sitting in this god-forsaken office. What a depressing end.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #2451
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
we should really invest more in detection satellites. I thought they were really good at catching the big ones and fairly good at the small ones if they're coming at us as they go towards the sun.
I read an article this weekend on one of the major news sites (cbc, bloomberg something like that) about the detection systems we currently use. Essentially, the sky is so vast that we can't survey every possible trajectory that an asteroid could come from, but instead focus our efforts on the most likely direction given gravity and orbits etc. Someone far more knowledgeable about astrophysics can probably explain it better.

Interesting thing about the article is that it mentioned that there has been a large amount of planning for dealing with a meteor of significant size on a collision course with Earth. Think Bruce Willis + lasers.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #2452
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, spare me the existential angst please. Plus the inevitable collapse into anarchy would really do a lot to dispel any idealistic notions I hold about my species. I would probably just end up welcoming the asteroid.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #2453
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If an extinction meteor was heading for Earth, I fervently hope no one knows (except those who could possibly do something about it), or we'll spend our final days trying to hide from rampaging mobs (or other rampaging mobs, if you're in one).

Remove any fear of retribution or authority, or any belief in protection by authority, and there's a whole lot of ISIL is all of our communities
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #2454
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea it wouldn't be this utopia of doing whatever you want, you would be at the mercy of the masses and if you have facebook or twitter you would know that is a scary thing. That being said, I doubt the mobs would be heading up to the lake so I would probably be fine. Few days of fishing with my family and friends before it all ends seems like a great way to go.

Apparently NASA has some big announcement scheduled for Thursday involving Mars atmosphere:

Quote:
NASA will provide details of key science findings from the agency’s ongoing exploration of Mars during a news briefing at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Nov. 5 in the James Webb Auditorium at NASA Headquarters in Washington.
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...ars-atmosphere

Speculation:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...-find-out.html
Old 11-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #2455
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man develops cancer he "caught" from the tapeworm that had cancer. Many contributing factors such as the man being HIV positive and not taking meds so his immune system was compromised severely but it seems to be the first documented case of a human becoming sick from cancer cells form another organism.

http://www.livescience.com/52695-tap...l?cmpid=514645

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...ome&#t=article

Last edited by ernie; 11-04-2015 at 08:36 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #2456
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, spare me the existential angst please. Plus the inevitable collapse into anarchy would really do a lot to dispel any idealistic notions I hold about my species. I would probably just end up welcoming the asteroid.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #2457
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Yea it wouldn't be this utopia of doing whatever you want, you would be at the mercy of the masses and if you have facebook or twitter you would know that is a scary thing. That being said, I doubt the mobs would be heading up to the lake so I would probably be fine. Few days of fishing with my family and friends before it all ends seems like a great way to go.

Apparently NASA has some big announcement scheduled for Thursday involving Mars atmosphere:

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...ars-atmosphere

Speculation:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...-find-out.html
More and more articles claiming that they will announce that they've figured out how Mars went from habitable to what it is now... I thought they already knew it was cause the core stopped spinning and lost its magnetic field.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #2458
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that's been the assumption. Probably just confirming it.

If there is life there, I'm declaring it a World Holiday and going home.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #2459
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought this was quite interesting.

NASA just saw something come out of a black hole for the first time ever

Wait I thought nothing, not even light, could escape a black hole's gravitational pull??

Quote:
NASA just spotted something mighty strange at the supermassive black hole Markarian 335.

Two of NASA’s space telescopes, including the Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array (NuSTAR), miraculously observed a black hole’s corona “launched” away from the supermassive black hole. Then a massive pulse of X-ray energy spewed out. So, what exactly happened? That’s what scientists are trying to figure out now.

http://www.blastr.com/2015-11-4/nasa...irst-time-ever

Quote:
The baffling and strange behaviours of black holes have become somewhat less mysterious recently, with new observations from NASA’s Explorer missions Swift and the Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array, or NuSTAR. The two space telescopes caught a supermassive black hole in the midst of a giant eruption of X-ray light, helping astronomers address an ongoing puzzle: How do supermassive black holes flare?
http://astronomynow.com/2015/10/28/b...s-major-flare/
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #2460
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yup. Nothing of note from NASAs announcement really.

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science