Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | Realtor® & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #2441
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I'd much rather have a smaller place closer to the core than a bigger house with a long commute.
Let me guess....no kids?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #2442
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Let me guess....no kids?
Most likely. Funny how quickly people move to the burbs and get minivans when life happens

Enjoy the downtown scene while you can guys.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #2443
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Life happens in different ways for different people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #2444
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Pimco sees Can. Realestate drop 20% in next five years.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...as-much-as-20/
Is there much value in "Canada-wide" analysis when the situation/markets are so diverse and unique (i.e. Calgary versus Vancouver versus Toronto versus ?). Serious question.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #2445
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Life happens in different ways for different people.
Yes, but the end result is that there are hardly any kids in inner city. People tend to crave space when there are 5 of them under one roof. Hard to blame them.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #2446
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Is there much value in "Canada-wide" analysis when the situation/markets are so diverse and unique (i.e. Calgary versus Vancouver versus Toronto versus ?). Serious question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Pimco sees Can. Realestate drop 20% in next five years.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...as-much-as-20/
I have read a few articles regarding PIMCO cutting some of their holds. They all seem to range from 10-30%

As tvp said, Canada is so often bunched into 1 category of real estate values when it is so different in each province. Where do they hold most of their real estate? Vancouver & Toronto I would assume as those have been mega hubs and if so, I think it is fair for them to cut some of their holdings. Im surprised it took this long.
On the other hand, how long have we been hearing about a correction and how we are just behind the US and havent seen the worst of it. Surely 1 day prices are going to correct themselves and all these people will come out and say "told ya so" but that's like me predicting the flames winning the stanley cup. One day it will happen and I can make myself sound genius!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 03-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #2447
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Probably not. What puzzles me is why they keep throwing numbers, 20%, 10% etc. No none can tell. RE is emotional, once it pops there is no end in sight and it usually overshoots. So not sure how they measure how low it will go.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #2448
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
"But, it's diffrent here"

http://www.greaterfool.ca/2013/09/20/wasted-2/
Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #2449
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

But it is different.
And that doesnt mean we can escape a correction however the amount of people moving to Calgary is sky high and leading the country. Is it to get a piece of over valued real estate? I think not!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 03-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #2450
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Most likely. Funny how quickly people move to the burbs and get minivans when life happens

Enjoy the downtown scene while you can guys.
1400sf townhouse vs 2300sq detached home? I'm good with option #1. I'll use the extra money me and my spouse save on taking lrt to work and not having a 2nd car to travel.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #2451
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
1400sf townhouse vs 2300sq detached home? I'm good with option #1. I'll use the extra money me and my spouse save on taking lrt to work and not having a 2nd car to travel.
Missing the point. There is a lot more to life than money. Especially when you have kids.

Not saying that burbs are better or anything, just pointing out that families move there because it makes more sense for them. They can't all be wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #2452
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right, and that's cool. I just think that there are some things that I'm willing to accept now that say a decade ago I wasn't. When I wanted the freedom, a town house condo was awesome. No maintenance, nothing to worry about when I wanted a quick getaway, you know the drill!

My kids are school aged now, and for them that's prime time for them to be outside playing in the yard, and as a result I am willing to give up that freedom and proximity to the nightlife and such to have the space.

It's also important to me to have schools in the neighbourhood, as well as other amenities that say ten years ago I couldn't care less about. Would I prefer to have a 5 minute commute? Of course. But at some stages in life I think you have to prioritize.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #2453
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Right, and that's cool. I just think that there are some things that I'm willing to accept now that say a decade ago I wasn't. When I wanted the freedom, a town house condo was awesome. No maintenance, nothing to worry about when I wanted a quick getaway, you know the drill!

My kids are school aged now, and for them that's prime time for them to be outside playing in the yard, and as a result I am willing to give up that freedom and proximity to the nightlife and such to have the space.

It's also important to me to have schools in the neighbourhood, as well as other amenities that say ten years ago I couldn't care less about. Would I prefer to have a 5 minute commute? Of course. But at some stages in life I think you have to prioritize.
If there's a park down the street and a school not too far away I think it's a win win. I have no interest in nightlife.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #2454
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If there's a park down the street and a school not too far away I think it's a win win. I have no interest in nightlife.
But you have no kids, right?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #2455
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
But you have no kids, right?
Yes, but when I do, those are big factors. Lots of kids get raised in the core in other cities. I was raised in the suburbs and didn't care for it.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #2456
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
A park down the street doesn't substitute for a fenced back yard of your own. It's a lot complicated than that unfortunately. Just like room for bikes, snowboards, ramps, sleds and various other things you accumulate as a parent.

A cul-de-sac safety, you can actually let your kids out by themselves. Can't do that in the core. Plenty of things that non parents take for granted.

And as Slava already mentioned, schools are a huge deal. And they are not exactly building those in the core. In fact, they keep closing them.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #2457
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but when I do, those are big factors. Lots of kids get raised in the core in other cities. I was raised in the suburbs and didn't care for it.
When you have kids, your wife will twist your arm until you buy her a McMansion in Cranston. Book it
V
Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #2458
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a kid and bought in the inner city. We wanted (needed?) the extra space, yard, garage...and got it. The compromise is that all of that stuff is smaller. It's a fair trade-off I think.

In terms of the bust talk, one of the reasons we bought in the inner-city is that if that correction comes, it's not going to be hit as hard as somewhere out in the boonies...and when things come back, it will likely also be one of the first to bounce back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #2459
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
When you have kids, your wife will twist your arm until you buy her a McMansion in Cranston. Book it
Not every wife has such poor taste.

Last edited by Table 5; 03-03-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: might as well change it back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #2460
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Not every wife has such poor taste.
Always nice to chat with inner city folks. They never fail to tell you how ugly the burbs are and how smart of an investment they made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:

Tags
housing , real estate