Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #2441
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, the Ranger is so weird. Super outdated (I think it's been sold forever in other markets despite it being newish here) and it costs way more than it's worth. Plus it looks lame (IMO).

The Maverick is going to be the perfect truck bar none for municipalities, small businesses and just people who want a little truck to run around in. Doesn't work for me, but I love it that it's out there.

I'm actually thinking about checking one out, I want to see it in person to get a feel for it.

I wonder if in a year or two they find a way to get a bit more power into the hybrid engine and offering it with AWD. That'd be a game-changer
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #2442
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The box is too small for me. I see what they are going for, but it would annoy me for my needs.

I don't see why the city would buy them thoguh. I think they currently have some Colorado's? Just a quick check on price, you can get one for $30k, The Cheapest Maverick is $28k. So you get a while lot more truck with the Colorado.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #2443
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
The Maverick is going to kill it out there. What a great truck at such an awesome price:

I might look at one of those for my daughter. It will fit her hockey equipment and ski equipment and look cute.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #2444
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm actually thinking about checking one out, I want to see it in person to get a feel for it.

I wonder if in a year or two they find a way to get a bit more power into the hybrid engine and offering it with AWD. That'd be a game-changer
Ugh. You can't get it in hybrid and awd? That would have been perfect. Just like the Escape phev that only comes in fwd. They make you buy the lincoln if you want awd and plug-in which costs 65,000.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #2445
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Ugh. You can't get it in hybrid and awd? That would have been perfect. Just like the Escape phev that only comes in fwd. They make you buy the lincoln if you want awd and plug-in which costs 65,000.
FWD is totally adequate, though. I love that they built this to a price. Start adding in all the cool stuff and now you have yet another expensive vehicle.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #2446
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I might look at one of those for my daughter. It will fit her hockey equipment and ski equipment and look cute.
I was curious if you could fit skis in that box...

The blue is 170cm, the red 180cm. It measures 190cm, but with ski tips, it may be tight. Really depends where their measurements are made.

You'd have them elevated above the wheel well. I'd be bringing a pair to see if they actually fit fully with the box.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #2447
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I was curious if you could fit skis in that box...

The blue is 170cm, the red 180cm. It measures 190cm, but with ski tips, it may be tight. Really depends where their measurements are made.

You'd have them elevated above the wheel well. I'd be bringing a pair to see if they actually fit fully with the box.
he skis are around 160

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #2448
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny with such a tiny box they specify a payload capacity of 1500lbs, which is only 200lbs less than the least capable F-150. Pretty good for what it is. It's also rated for 67 more pounds than this, which is pretty funny...

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-12-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:12 PM   #2449
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchBite View Post

So the Integra has been revealed and it's a car alright.
God damn that’s beyond underwhelming.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:51 AM   #2450
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I just found my dream car.... I can dream I guess

Old 11-13-2021, 06:17 AM   #2451
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
“Coated in Indy Yellow Pearl, the Integra Prototype pays homage to the Phoenix Yellow of the legendary 2000-2001 Integra Type R.”

Everything except the colour screams Integra Type “Meh”. Acura might just be one of the most boring brands going right now relative to what they used to be.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #2452
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Nothing other than a Civic Si hatch. It will have a nicer interior than the Si and will likely re-introduce adaptive dampers that Honda eliminated on the new Si. The 1.5T will mostly be a carry over with a slight power bump. Shame Honda did not choose a detuned iteration of the K20C1 from the Civic Type R as it is a fantastic engine (exactly what's in the 2.0T Accord). Perhaps they will introduce a Type R model down the road with that motor.

If one yearns for an Si hatch, this will be a good option as long as it's reasonably priced. The new Civic hatch looks very Crosstour to me from some angles, certainly not a looker (nor was the last generation however).

The GTI will most certainly be a better proposition, even if VW missed the mark in some areas on the MK8, the engine alone with 273 lb-ft is an easy win over the 1.5T's 192.

Last edited by FLAME ENVY; 11-13-2021 at 10:30 AM.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #2453
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Soulless, precisely how I'd describe driving an EV. Admittedly I haven't tried a Taycan S, but I don't think it would change my opinion much. There's a lot of theatre missing when you take the exploding petrol out of the equation. And ever-increasing power output also has some impact on the fun, Cammisa hits the nail on the head in that video when he talks about the CT5-V just being so damned fast that you can't enjoy the rev range without staying out of prison. I harp on it a lot, but my Mercedes had the same achilles heel: ungodly power and torque, no fun.

Aside, I hauled my car out of the garage today despite putting it down due to the snowfall, the weather is still too nice to put it to sleep. It was a great morning.
Agree with all this, especially the bold. I am getting an EV, and there are a ton of great things about it, but yeah, soulless is a perfect description and an undisputable downside.

The thing is though, power and performance have gone beyond our ability to enjoy them and take advantage of them. My current vehicle should be on a track, but I don't go to the track, I drive to work and to run errands, and on a good day, drive to the mountains or the golf course. The power and performance that is sitting below me, doing absolutely nothing, just lying there, begging me to use it, is heartbreaking.

Looking at new vehicles now, the performance is so ridiculous, I just don't care anymore. The new car I am looking at claims 3.3 seconds, or somewhere around there, but CarWow guy consistently did 2.9. My reaction is: who cares? What's the difference between 2.9 seconds and 3.9 seconds? They are both stupid-fast, and my ability to take advantage of them is severely limited by the fact that there are traffic laws that we have to obey. This car - all of the new high performance cars - will go faster and perform better than I will ever be allowed to utilize. So what's the difference?

So I am past caring about the details. And I just want something that is comfortable and enjoyable, while I drive around town using 10% of its capabilities.

And in defense of EVs, they really can excel at creature comforts and conveniences. Soulless, but imminently practical and useful.

So here we are. (wipes a tear)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #2454
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a question and would like everyone's opinion:

Are matte finishes passe?

Trying to pick a colour for my newest money pit, and the options are limited - so much so, that white is currently in the lead (yawn).

So I was thinking I might get silver and put a stealth wrap on it. This car has lots of black and carbon accents an trims, and powerful lines, so I was thinking it would look pretty nice in a matte silver.

But you don't see a lot of matte finishes anymore so that got me wondering: has that ship sailed?

Let me know what you think.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #2455
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on the money pit selection. Matte is kind of overdone at this point, but it still looks good on certain cars.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #2456
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind that matte finishes can be a real pain in the arse to maintain, significantly more so than clear-coated finishes. I would sooner do a wrap if I was after a matte finish than actual matte or semi-gloss paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Agree with all this, especially the bold. I am getting an EV, and there are a ton of great things about it, but yeah, soulless is a perfect description and an undisputable downside.

The thing is though, power and performance have gone beyond our ability to enjoy them and take advantage of them. My current vehicle should be on a track, but I don't go to the track, I drive to work and to run errands, and on a good day, drive to the mountains or the golf course. The power and performance that is sitting below me, doing absolutely nothing, just lying there, begging me to use it, is heartbreaking.

Looking at new vehicles now, the performance is so ridiculous, I just don't care anymore. The new car I am looking at claims 3.3 seconds, or somewhere around there, but CarWow guy consistently did 2.9. My reaction is: who cares? What's the difference between 2.9 seconds and 3.9 seconds? They are both stupid-fast, and my ability to take advantage of them is severely limited by the fact that there are traffic laws that we have to obey. This car - all of the new high performance cars - will go faster and perform better than I will ever be allowed to utilize. So what's the difference?

So I am past caring about the details. And I just want something that is comfortable and enjoyable, while I drive around town using 10% of its capabilities.

And in defense of EVs, they really can excel at creature comforts and conveniences. Soulless, but imminently practical and useful.
I'd argue that performance figures are what make it enjoyable, but it's not about "MOAR POWAAAAAA"; it's about balance. We had a similar discussion in a work thread, and the consensus was that once you hit about 400-450 horsepower and 0-60 times sub-4 seconds, you were really hitting the limit for what you could have fun with ripping through the rev-range like a hooligan around town, without crossing the line into dangerous driving territory.

Hell, I could make do with 300 - 350 N/A horsepower if we were at sea-level, but our elevation necessitates bumping that up a tad. My next car (as in a winter vehicle) will likely be an 8+ cylinder N/A petrol engine around that 430-440 horsepower mark, maximum. I could get more, but having had more... I don't want more. I'm not racing people, I just want an emotional connection with the car I'm driving, which is why for my own vehicle I will hold off on getting an EV until I simply can't. The wife's next car can be an EV if she likes.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #2457
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Keep in mind that matte finishes can be a real pain in the arse to maintain, significantly more so than clear-coated finishes. I would sooner do a wrap if I was after a matte finish than actual matte or semi-gloss paint.
Definitely a wrap. Matte paint is impossible to maintain, whereas a wrap actually protects the paint, and if you get bored with it, you just remove it and go back to the original finish.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #2458
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Depends on the money pit selection. Matte is kind of overdone at this point, but it still looks good on certain cars.
Audi RS GT
Old 11-13-2021, 11:54 AM   #2459
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Audi RS GT
I'd say it still looks good on most German cars. Would definitely look good on that car in particular.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2021, 12:46 PM   #2460
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I have a question and would like everyone's opinion:

Are matte finishes passe?

Trying to pick a colour for my newest money pit, and the options are limited - so much so, that white is currently in the lead (yawn).

So I was thinking I might get silver and put a stealth wrap on it. This car has lots of black and carbon accents an trims, and powerful lines, so I was thinking it would look pretty nice in a matte silver.

But you don't see a lot of matte finishes anymore so that got me wondering: has that ship sailed?

Let me know what you think.
IMO, matte grey w/black accents looks good. So good in fact, that it’s so generic and predictable that it’s boring. Especially if you’re driving some flash euro sedan, it’s just so done I can’t imagine spending the time and money to imitate it anymore.

Looks good. Boring AF