Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #2401
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Imagine what it's like to be so dumb that you tweet at the guitarist of a band named Rage Against the Machine, whose biggest hit song contains the lyrics "Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses" and "You justify those that died by wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites", to tell him that you no longer like his music since he supports Black Lives Matter protesters.

https://twitter.com/scott_castaneda/...03346378170369
I don’t think that is a real account. Seems to be a sock puppet that was hacked and occasionally used to rage bait.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #2402
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Imagine what it's like to be so dumb that you tweet at the guitarist of a band named Rage Against the Machine, whose biggest hit song contains the lyrics "Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses" and "You justify those that died by wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites", to tell him that you no longer like his music since he supports Black Lives Matter protesters.

https://twitter.com/scott_castaneda/...03346378170369
That is just mind blowing. "Wow this band really wants gorillas to have their own radio station", seems a bit unorthodox but hey neat guitar!!
Old 06-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #2403
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I don’t think that is a real account. Seems to be a sock puppet that was hacked and occasionally used to rage bait.
Either way, the guy has 39 followers. Who cares what he thinks?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #2404
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Either way, the guy has 39 followers. Who cares what he thinks?

I like you, so try not to take this the wrong way, but what you just said is a big part of why things are so f’d up these days.

Opinions should have weight based on their merit alone, and have nothing to do with how many followers someone has. This is the reason why populism has become so prevalent in our culture. When social influencers make more of an impact than seasoned professionals or scholars, we lose them plot and have only ourselves to blame.

In this case, his opinion is bull#### because he has no idea who Tom Morello is or what he has consistently stood for.

I hate to single you out, but this type of thinking needs to die a quick death.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #2405
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

In this case, his opinion is bull#### because he has no idea who Tom Morello is or what he has consistently stood for.
He probably doesn't even know that Tom Morello is black.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #2406
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

“I don’t see color”
Old 06-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #2407
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

Old 06-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #2408
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cops tv show canceled today. Never knew they were still making the show.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #2409
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I like you, so try not to take this the wrong way, but what you just said is a big part of why things are so f’d up these days.

Opinions should have weight based on their merit alone, and have nothing to do with how many followers someone has. This is the reason why populism has become so prevalent in our culture. When social influencers make more of an impact than seasoned professionals or scholars, we lose them plot and have only ourselves to blame.

This is beside the point. There is no person behind this account. One way you can tell is the number of follows/followers. Also infrequency of posting and lack of responses to all the attacks.

That’s what is interesting to me - how much social media is being manipulated by bad actors.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #2410
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Eh, I kind of disagree here. I think the point is that it’s basically no different than you or I saying it.

Sure, the opinion does or doesn’t have merit based on the opinion. But like if some random off the street yells something at you, there’s no real reason to care. If you told me I had to give weight to every random opinion thrown at me by some random idiot, my life would be a lot worse honestly.

Does it matter what this guy thinks of Tom Morello? No, it doesn’t. It’s not JUST because he’s a nobody, but that’s a big part of it.

I find it funny when people post an opinion they agree with from a random twitter account that has 30 followers. It doesn’t add anything, you can literally copy and paste those words and pretend they’re yours. When it’s an opinion you disagree with from a rando twitter account? No, sorry, I agree with Down here. Who cares? You can find 1000 different opinions if you poll 1000 different people. Why should we care enough to pick apart one random dudes dumbass comment?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #2411
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
This is beside the point. There is no person behind this account. One way you can tell is the number of follows/followers. Also infrequency of posting and lack of responses to all the attacks.

That’s what is interesting to me - how much social media is being manipulated by bad actors.
I have a twitter account that I use for following others and getting breaking news from a variety of sources. I have fewer than 20 followers. I rarely write tweets myself (maybe once every 2-3 months, if that). By your reckoning, my account would have no person behind it, but I assure you I am very much real.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #2412
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
Cops tv show canceled today. Never knew they were still making the show.
Well in fairness it would be kind of hard for Paramount to sell "Next on Cops, the xxx PD randomly beat the piss out of our camera operators!"

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #2413
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Eh, I kind of disagree here. I think the point is that it’s basically no different than you or I saying it.

Sure, the opinion does or doesn’t have merit based on the opinion. But like if some random off the street yells something at you, there’s no real reason to care. If you told me I had to give weight to every random opinion thrown at me by some random idiot, my life would be a lot worse honestly.

Does it matter what this guy thinks of Tom Morello? No, it doesn’t. It’s not JUST because he’s a nobody, but that’s a big part of it.

I find it funny when people post an opinion they agree with from a random twitter account that has 30 followers. It doesn’t add anything, you can literally copy and paste those words and pretend they’re yours. When it’s an opinion you disagree with from a rando twitter account? No, sorry, I agree with Down here. Who cares? You can find 1000 different opinions if you poll 1000 different people. Why should we care enough to pick apart one random dudes dumbass comment?

The whole point of Twitter is that sometimes people nail an idea and do it with pizzazz in under 160 characters, so you favorite or retweet their tweet.

That’s why people might want to repost a tweet elsewhere. They don’t want to take credit for plagiarizing somebody else’s words and who wants to try to paraphrase a tweet when you can repost it with the click of a button. Sometimes a person with very few followers makes a damn good point. And sometimes you get the #### posts that you pointed out and made fun of.

But if someone made a good tweet, I want to see it, I don’t care how many followers they have or if they have a blue check mark.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #2414
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Ubiquitous opinions are not the point. If the argument has merit and the post is well thought out, that’s all that matters. This particular case did not warrant any analysis of the thoughts, but generally, we need to listen to cogent thoughts more, no matter where they come from.

The whole point of social media is to find nuggets of gold among the masses. If we use popularity to determine who has a legitimate thought and who does not, we are no better than the cool kids table in high school. I hope we’re better than that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #2415
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

You had me at, "I like you".
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #2416
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Ubiquitous opinions are not the point. If the argument has merit and the post is well thought out, that’s all that matters. This particular case did not warrant any analysis of the thoughts, but generally, we need to listen to cogent thoughts more, no matter where they come from.

The whole point of social media is to find nuggets of gold among the masses. If we use popularity to determine who has a legitimate thought and who does not, we are no better than the cool kids table in high school. I hope we’re better than that.
I agree that great ideas should be shared, no matter the source. But should we be shining light on bad takes made by insignificant people? Let the idiot's lack of self-awareness exist in obscurity.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #2417
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that great ideas should be shared, no matter the source. But should we be shining light on bad takes made by insignificant people? Let the idiot's lack of self-awareness exist in obscurity.

Agreed. But attack it on its merit alone. That’s enough, and really, it’s the only thing we should be doing in such a complicated world.

Of course, analyzing merit requires a population ready to do so, and I worry that we don’t have that these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #2418
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a twitter account that I use for following others and getting breaking news from a variety of sources. I have fewer than 20 followers. I rarely write tweets myself (maybe once every 2-3 months, if that). By your reckoning, my account would have no person behind it, but I assure you I am very much real.
Said the March Hare to the, uh... Troutman.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #2419
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Watching idiots, whether they're insignificant or famous, get dunked on is half the fun of Twitter.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1080665226410889217

Today, Scott Castaneda was Twitter's main character.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #2420
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

If it’s so stupid that it’s entertaining then yeah, I want to see it so I can bask in the ridicule too. That’s another great perk of Twitter.

For example, who didn’t get some joy out of pepsifree making green lanterns post sound even more ridiculous than it already was.

Twitter is great for that.
Closed Thread