Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #221
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey guys. I recently bought a new 42 inch LCD TV, primarily for my PS3, movies, and a XBOX360 in the future. These all show really well on the TV, since they are in HD. I will also occasionally watch SD channels, and this is where my question comes in. Right now I have the regular SHAW cable box, not the HD one. Does anyone know if getting a HD cable box will improve the SD output, or is it mainly to convert the HD channels correctly? Right now SD looks like it's running at 480 and motion sometimes looks blurry, and if the HD box improves the SD quality it would better justify the cost of the new box.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #222
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The HD box won't improve the SD quality by very much.. SD is 480 and very poor quality to begin with, it's just more evident now that we have higher quality displays.

An expensive video upscaler (Silicon Optix Reon (http://www.siliconoptix.com/products...X/Features.cfm) for example) might be able to do a better job of it, but I've not seen a comparison in terms of SD television.

The receiver I want to get, the Onkyo 875, actually has that chip built into it.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #223
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
Hey guys. I recently bought a new 42 inch LCD TV, primarily for my PS3, movies, and a XBOX360 in the future. These all show really well on the TV, since they are in HD. I will also occasionally watch SD channels, and this is where my question comes in. Right now I have the regular SHAW cable box, not the HD one. Does anyone know if getting a HD cable box will improve the SD output, or is it mainly to convert the HD channels correctly? Right now SD looks like it's running at 480 and motion sometimes looks blurry, and if the HD box improves the SD quality it would better justify the cost of the new box.
Like Photon says it probably won't improve your SD picture but I'd still get the HD box. I find I rarely watch anything in SD anymore except for hockey and news shows and only because I don't have a choice. SD 480i is just not made for big screen TVs and is on it's way out.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #224
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

And there go the analog tube TVs (in the US, at least).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071017/...1SlfuNmt6s0NUE
Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS - The nation's largest consumer electronics chain says it has pulled all analog televisions off store shelves. Flat panel and high-definition screens have taken their place.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #225
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Keep in mind- in the US all broadcasts are going digital in 2009. Meaning there's an advantage to not selling a TV that won't work in 18 months.

Digital TVs are not always HDTVs.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #226
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Question:

What TV service is best?

The condo building I'm in the process of moving to has Bell available to all units (no dish needed) so I'm wondering which is a better service to be with. Bell or Shaw?

I'm also planning on getting an HDTV (1080p) shortly (maybe tomorrow). So HD is a must

Last edited by kermitology; 10-18-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #227
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You'll find supporters and detractors of both services. My personal opinion is that Bell offers a superior product, in terms of channel selection and especially HD selection. I've read recently that Shaw has added more HD channels, so the availability of channels on each service is likely more similar now than in the past, if not the same.

Bell (via Dish Network in the States IIRC) has new MPEG4 HD receivers in the pipeline, which means more HD channels should be a possibility soon. But the old receivers won't work with this compression, so I'd be leery aboout buying a Bell HD receiver now without some serious thought and investigation.

Bottom line - avoid Telus TV!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #228
photon

Exp:

Yeah Bell seems to have more channels.

Starchoice has been adding many HD channels as well, plus no contract and no extra fee for HD, and no extra receiver fees if you get a certain level of package.

Starchoice HD receivers are also ready for the new compression without having to swap out receivers or anything.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #229
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah Bell seems to have more channels.

Starchoice has been adding many HD channels as well, plus no contract and no extra fee for HD, and no extra receiver fees if you get a certain level of package.

Starchoice HD receivers are also ready for the new compression without having to swap out receivers or anything.
Starchoice isn't an option though. Not allowed to have dishes on the balcony and each unit can receive Bell.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #230
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Just to qualify there Kermit- be sure they are offering Bell Expressvu satellite TV, and not the "Bell for condos" that is popping up all over Toronto. Easiest way to ask the question "So, if I already own a Bell receiver, then that's all I need- right?"
Old 10-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #231
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Just to qualify there Kermit- be sure they are offering Bell Expressvu satellite TV, and not the "Bell for condos" that is popping up all over Toronto. Easiest way to ask the question "So, if I already own a Bell receiver, then that's all I need- right?"
Well there is some deal offered through Satellite City, so I'd hope so!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #232
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Well there is some deal offered through Satellite City, so I'd hope so!
Check to make sure that the Bell service offers HD. I've also heard that if your balcony is facing the right direction, you can disguise your dish to make it look like a plant or something.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #233
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

In preperation for our new HDTV coming in a month, where is the best place to get cheaper, quality HDMI cables, here in town? I never bought into the Monster hype, there has to be other options for HDMI.
Just using component cable on our current HD...
Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 PM   #234
photon

Exp:

In town, not many cheap options unfortunately

Monoprice.com is your best bet. It takes a bit for them to come in but it's worth the wait.

Otherwise, check out PS3 HDMI cables actually, I think I saw them for pretty cheap at EB Games. Also maybe Home Depot, Wal Mart, or Radio Shack.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #235
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\ I second monoprice.com. I bought a 6ft HDMI cable from there and it works no problem. Just a couple days ago I put through another order and a 6ft HDMI was just over $11.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #236
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm finally looking at buying a flat screen TV, as prices have come down to a pretty affordable level.

We're going for a 42" TV because the room is a little smaller and I really don't know whether to go with Plasma or LCD. It looks I can get a 1080p LCD for the same price as a regular plasma without the 1080p.

The one that has kind of peaked my interest is the LG 42LB5D 42" 1080p LCD HDTV. It has a refresh rate of 5ms and a 7000:1 contrast ratio, both of which seem quite good. The price is also reasonable at $1699.

I guess these are my questions:

1) Should I go with 1080p LCD if I can, or a plasma that doesn't have 1080p? Plasma's with that technology are getting out of my price range. (Looking to spend around $1700).

2) Does anybody have the LG TV I'm talking about? All the reviews I've read sounded good, except for the CNET one which has me worried.

3) Can anyone recommend something better than what I've found, or at least send me on the right direction? I'm going to be watching movies and sports, that's about it.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #237
photon

Exp:

I had an LG for a short amount of time (returned it for a Sony).

The quality was decent to me, though it did have some back light consistency issues (when the TV is showing all black or a dark scene the screen brightness is uneven). The Sony is much better, though it should be for the extra $$ it was.

LG isn't a top of my list brand, but I still think their stuff is good.

Interestingly enough there was a recent report put out by J.D. Power and Assc. about customer satisfaction, and the results were kind of surprising to me:

Quote:
Customer Satisfaction Index Ranking
37- to 49-inch HDTV Segment
(Based on a 1,000-point scale)

Sony BRAVIA LCD................815
LG LCD.........................799
LG Plasma......................794
Samsung Plasma.................793
Samsung LC.....................791
Average........................789
Panasonic Vieta Plasma.........788
Sharp AQUOS LCD................783
Philips Plasma.................775
Hitachi Plasma.................769
Vizio LCD......................765
Philips LCD....................765
Westinghouse LCD...............763
Sony BRAVIA Plasma.............761
Toshiba LCD....................760
Olevia LCD.....................722
http://boston.stockgroup.com/sn_news...newsid=9307969

Not the be-all of LCD quality, but interesting.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #238
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm surprised to see Toshiba and Sharp so low on that list. LG's placement surprises me too, personally.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #239
photon

Exp:

Me too!

On their site you can see the different criteria:

http://www.jdpower.com/electronics/r.../hdtv/37-to-49

Even by display quality, LG is still higher than I would have thought.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #240
burns2002
Farm Team Player

Exp:

You should look at the replacement warranty. Does it take 1 or 5 dead pixels before you get a replacement. I went with a sony over LG for that reason.
Closed Thread