Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2024, 04:44 PM   #221
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
30-year-old Darcy Kuemper was traded in 21-22 for:
Connor Timmins, 2022 1st, 2024 3rd

That's the closest comparable I can find. Kuemper had a .907 sv% and a 2.36 GAA that season.
Timmins is a D, 25 and on his 3rd team. He was a 2nd round pick as well.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:48 PM   #222
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
that's the thing though, we're not even 16th WITH Markstrom, Tanev and Hanifin. Trading the latter two and then keeping Marky "to send the right message" is just bonkers. He can't get you to the playoffs without the two if were comfortably out of the playoff spots with them.
What's your worry if they're not even 16th WITH Markstrom, Tanev and Hanifin? That somehow they will get to 16th WITH just Markstrom?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:50 PM   #223
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
What's your worry if they're not even 16th WITH Markstrom, Tanev and Hanifin? That somehow they will get to 16th WITH just Markstrom?
Could be the difference between 5-10th pick or 11th-16th and that difference is HUGE. I doubt we’d be able to slip into 1-4 at this point, but lottery luck could help.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:51 PM   #224
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen15 View Post
The fundamental problem with making this move is that New Jersey is on the outside of the playoffs looking in. They won’t mortgage the farm. If they were middle of the playoff pack I think they’d think this might push them over. If they give up an overpay for Markstrom and it doesn’t work out it’s a catastrophe.
I think the one resident NJ fan is also saying that they are not losing because of goaltending recently. NJ has 19.4% odds of making the playoffs, according to Moneypuck. The Flames by comparison are 13.1%. The wild speculation as to what was being discussed has never been confirmed. It could also be that NJ looked at their odds of making it and decided against the deal with how their season has gone.

The outcry if Conroy sent a young blue-chip player, a first round pick, and something else out for an 34 year old player with two years left to help get the Flames to the playoffs would be something else. NJ is in the exact same situation.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NegativeSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:53 PM   #225
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Could be the difference between 5-10th pick or 11th-16th and that difference is HUGE. I doubt we’d be able to slip into 1-4 at this point, but lottery luck could help.
If Markstrom makes that much difference, we should demand at least 3 1sts for him! Or keep him!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:53 PM   #226
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I'm joking. I'm talking as a fan. Fans like trades more than wins, good or bad. They don't care about the team they want to have some things to talk about.

Everyone thinks those couple rumoured prospects were the ones we would be getting. Its NEVER a prospect that has been talked about, its always some prospect 7th on the teams list that no one has heard of.

It wasn't Holtz on the table, it was Graeme Clarke that we were offered.

Hah, I wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or not. I gambled and lost!

Agreed, it always ends up that way. Just like we didn't get Stankhoven for Tanev!
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:54 PM   #227
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they found a deal regarding Vladar?

I don’t mind it, but there better be a good reason behind it. If they’re banking on multiple teams interested in the off-season then sure. If not, then the offer NJ did originally must have not been that good.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:57 PM   #228
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeSpace View Post
I think the one resident NJ fan is also saying that they are not losing because of goaltending recently. NJ has 19.4% odds of making the playoffs, according to Moneypuck. The Flames by comparison are 13.1%. The wild speculation as to what was being discussed has never been confirmed. It could also be that NJ looked at their odds of making it and decided against the deal with how their season has gone.

The outcry if Conroy sent a young blue-chip player, a first round pick, and something else out for an 34 year old player with two years left to help get the Flames to the playoffs would be something else. NJ is in the exact same situation.
Exactly.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:10 PM   #229
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Kind of disagree, NJ had done their rebuild and has their top end young guys in place. Time to start winning for them. Flames have no such pressure.

Odds to make playoffs may be similar but that’s where similarities end.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:11 PM   #230
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, almost opposite situations, never mind the exact same
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:23 PM   #231
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Agreed, which is why this deal should have been done already. How often is there such an obvious fit between two teams. Calgary needs to be bad this year and especially next year, and NJ needs to start winning while they have stars on ELCs. Neither team can afford to miss their respective opportunities this year and next year. The Flames have a goalie that is hindering their opportunity and NJ lacks a goaltender to help achieve theirs! It's blindingly obvious this trade should have happened weeks ago.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:31 PM   #232
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2macinnis2 View Post
Kind of disagree, NJ had done their rebuild and has their top end young guys in place. Time to start winning for them. Flames have no such pressure.

Odds to make playoffs may be similar but that’s where similarities end.
Yeah, but they are currently playing like a block of Swiss cheese defensively. They give up loads of high danger scoring ops lately, they may need to reset in the summer. Teams ebb and flow. I’d be shocked if they didn’t improve their goaltending in the summer; and compete for the div lead next year.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:36 PM   #233
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Seems risky to have a rookie as the backup, limited games...

Will that effect his development?
Everybody is a rookie at some point. If he never plays he will never learn.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:57 PM   #234
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Teams will value their young assets and draft picks, and would rather spend cap space on a stop gap for 1-2 years of goalies in the same age range as Markstrom.

People are acting like this is a vezina winning 27 year old in his prime elite goalie up for grabs.

How would you feel if the Flames started trading top end young players and 1st round picks for a soon to be 35 year old goalie who has had some injury issues and a up and down time with the team?
If it helped us win a Cup? Fantastic.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:59 PM   #235
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The Flames need to keep Markstrom, they need to be just good enough to draft #14-15
Which is exactly where Tij Iginla is going to go. What is the problem?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 06:04 PM   #236
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They are opposite situations. That’s why it would be ludicrous for Jersey to sacrifice assets this year. I’m certainly aware the Flames are in the opposite situation. Doesn’t mean we should give Crown Jewels away just to pacify the fans infatuated with making deals just because.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:04 PM   #237
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Except NJ has a number of elite players and could be good for awhile.

Calgary does not.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 06:05 PM   #238
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Which is exactly where Tij Iginla is going to go. What is the problem?
How do you know this?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:08 PM   #239
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't sifted through this, but is anyone reporting this who isn't clickbaity?
Old 02-29-2024, 06:09 PM   #240
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Haven't sifted through this, but is anyone reporting this who isn't clickbaity?

No. And reactions are over-the-top silly (IMNSHO) for a guy who has an NMC to deal with.