Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2024, 01:35 PM   #221
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It broke some nonsense “code”.
True but nobody was attacked with a weapon
Old 02-11-2024, 01:37 PM   #222
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
True but nobody was attacked with a weapon
Dude… I didn’t say it was identical to the incident last night….. I said basketball was just as dumb, to a post where you were generalizing the ridiculousness of the code.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 01:38 PM   #223
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, the non-stop showboating in the NBA is a big reason why I don't watch basketball.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:39 PM   #224
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Dude… I didn’t say it was identical to the incident last night….. I said basketball was just as dumb, to a post where you were generalizing the ridiculousness of the code.
I get it but I disagree, hockey is on another level for unwritten rules
Old 02-11-2024, 01:39 PM   #225
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I get it but I disagree, hockey is on another level for unwritten rules
Cool.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 02:12 PM   #226
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
Are you really offended that a player scored a goal this way and earlier suggested he also be penalized, fined or suspended also? It’s just an unusual take.

Right or wrong he will have to drop the mits as a result of all this when the time comes and he would understand this now. If you want to see a penalty this is what it will be and it will be over.
Definitely a penalty, a 2 minute minor.

Quote:
No more dunks in the NBA, lay-ups only so no feelings are hurt

Hockey is so dumb sometimes
There are technical fouls for excessive dunking or hanging onto the rim too enthusiastically. Also, in the NBA teams no longer score once the team behind quits and no longer fouls.

As I mentioned before, Greig could have just skated the puck into the corner, the game was over as the clock was ticking down under 10 seconds. Toronto was not getting the puck back.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:16 PM   #227
Brodie66
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
As I mentioned before, Greig could have just skated the puck into the corner, the game was over as the clock was ticking down under 10 seconds.
Not taking a free goal is arguably even more disrespectful
Brodie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brodie66 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 02:17 PM   #228
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are technical fouls for excessive dunking or hanging onto the rim too enthusiastically. Also, in the NBA teams no longer score once the team behind quits and no longer fouls.

As I mentioned before, Greig could have just skated the puck into the corner, the game was over as the clock was ticking down under 10 seconds. Toronto was not getting the puck back.
lol this is beyond ridiculous, he should put it in the net every single time

and are you suggesting a penalty for shooting too hard!
Old 02-11-2024, 02:20 PM   #229
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

To each their own, but this is absurd. Should a team be penalized for putting out PP1 unit when they're up by 3 or more? Should there be a limit on how much star players can play when they have a lead? What about Michigan goals or between the legs? Those are disrespectful to the goalie, penalize or outlaw them?

It's kind of ironic you're comparing to the NBA that promotes showmanship by trying to eliminate any personality in the NHL because another player might get upset.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:28 PM   #230
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did he taunt the Leafs after scoring the empty netter? If the Leafs don't want to be scored on when their net is empty, then don't let the other team get the puck when you have one extra player on the ice in the offensive zone.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:33 PM   #231
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Did he taunt the Leafs after scoring the empty netter? If the Leafs don't want to be scored on when their net is empty, then don't let the other team get the puck when you have one extra player on the ice in the offensive zone.
he didn't even put his arms in the air for crying out loud
oh well, Sens win...Leafs player gets a lengthy suspension at the most important time of the season
Ron cries

all is right in the end
Old 02-11-2024, 02:34 PM   #232
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am kind of surprised seeing so many people hate on "the code". The unwritten code is one of the things that makes hockey hockey. Running a star player will have consequences, don't touch the goalie, no punching while someone is down, etc etc.

I have no issues with the Leafs not liking that play and wanting to respond. BUT, the response was over the top and stupid. So yeah, code fine. A response, good. Crosscheck to the head? Better be a suspension.
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to カナダ人です For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 02:37 PM   #233
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:
lanny

IMO Ridley Grieg taking a full wind up at an empty net in the final seconds of a great hockey game adds flavour to the NHL. However, it's the big leagues and he's gotta expect that the opposing team would not be happy with that stunt.

What Morgan Rielly did was wrong and dumb. Fight the guy next time you see him, don't jump him when he's not looking.

This league has felt so watered down of characters, rivalries, and villans the last 5 years.

Tkachuk vs. Kassian revived the BOA in 2018. It made hockey fun in Alberta when it hadn't been for 10+ years.

I think back Ovi with his "Hot stick" or "Push-up" cellys. Everyone hated him and called him for hot-dogging. But his arc of maturity and winning the Cup 10 years later (I think at least) brought a tear to the eyes of collective hockey fans.

Let the players show boat. Let them piss off other teams and fans. Let them become characters and villans. But beware, you'll have to step up to the plate if you want to play that way.

TLDR: Grieg iconic. Rielly 6 games for being a goon.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:38 PM   #234
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
To each their own, but this is absurd. Should a team be penalized for putting out PP1 unit when they're up by 3 or more? Should there be a limit on how much star players can play when they have a lead? What about Michigan goals or between the legs? Those are disrespectful to the goalie, penalize or outlaw them?
Maybe. Other sports have deemed certain things penalties. The NHL has not so it's up to the teams to decide.

The cross check is wrong and he's going to get a big suspension. But if he had ragdolled Greig, what would we be saying today? Would we still be calling Rielly a baby?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:40 PM   #235
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
I am kind of surprised seeing so many people hate on "the code". The unwritten code is one of the things that makes hockey hockey. Running a star player will have consequences, don't touch the goalie, no punching while someone is down, etc etc.

I have no issues with the Leafs not liking that play and wanting to respond. BUT, the response was over the top and stupid. So yeah, code fine. A response, good. Crosscheck to the head? Better be a suspension.
these are a little different then shooting the puck to hard and an inanimate object. Games, playoff spots, can be decided by ####ing shootout, the hot dog ship has sailed.

And the player that did it was already high sticked by a Leafs player with no call so yeah he finished it off with authority
Old 02-11-2024, 02:43 PM   #236
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And the player that did it was already high sticked by a Leafs player with no call so yeah he finished it off with authority
That, I think, sufficiently explains what Greig did. ‘Ya wanna play rough, do ya? Well, take this!’

It was, in an unusually literal sense for hockey, a shot fired in anger.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:44 PM   #237
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe. Other sports have deemed certain things penalties. The NHL has not so it's up to the teams to decide.

The cross check is wrong and he's going to get a big suspension. But if he had ragdolled Greig, what would we be saying today? Would we still be calling Rielly a baby?
Yes, because people having hurt feelings over stuff like this are being babys.

Getting mad because somebody takes a slap shot into an empty net, flips their bat after a home run, or does a 360 windmill at the end of the game is soft and is ridiculous whenever it happens.

Grown men playing a kids game and they get hurt feelings because somebody did something that they didn't like that had no real impact on them outside of them being soft as baby poop.

Don't like it then don't let them get an empty net breakaway with nobody in 20 feet of them.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-11-2024 at 02:47 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 02:47 PM   #238
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Anyone who thinks a slapper into an empty net adds flavour or entertainment to hockey has a wildly different interpretation of excitement at nhl games than I do.

The resulting brawl maybe, sure. But a slap shot into an empty net increased your entertainment value? Seriously? Comparing it to a fancy dunk in basketball is asinine.

You can argue all day long with the unwritten code about respect is stupid, but I don’t know how anyone makes the argument that this adds flavour and personality to hockey. It’s not a skill play. It’s not exciting. It’s something any crappy fourth liner could do.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-11-2024 at 02:50 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 02:53 PM   #239
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Going over and giving him a shove and a punch is probably fine (but still silly and outdated).
Going over and cross checking him in the back of the head is something that I hope sees a double digit suspension (it won't, but it should).

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 02:54 PM   #240
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry, may be I don't understand hockey well enough. What is wrong with Ridley Grieg taking a slap shot at an empty net? Why does it matter how the empty net goal is scored? And why does he needs to answer the bell? To me, when Pissy spear someone's groin, he should have his head chopped off! This? It's just nothing burger. I just don't get why the Leafs are upset.