Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #221
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
No they are not, at least when I flew to Toronto in late May they were not. I'm off to Montreal tomorrow so I'll let you know then.

The airlines need to start using their carry on baggage sizing device again.
Haha my favourite thing about flying budget airlines in the states was their militant use of these devices, and watching someone every flight panicking as they are unable to free their suitcase from the frame after stomping on it to show that it would fit.

Should add that with my inevitable luck I was often sitting next to these same people on the plane after having laughed at them. Perhaps some continuous Karma
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #222
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

As someone who WFH and is quite productive, even moreso thatn when in the office, I really get tired of the trend to attack WFH. It reeks of jealousy from those whose jobs can't or won't allow it and it seems everyone has to either be for it or against it, just like union debates.

Like azure mentioned above, a lot of the issues with work from home are not on the worker, but the tools they have at their disposal. We went through some growing pains but after two years we are in a great position for WFH and I expect to keep doing it for a long time.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #223
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I don't understand why they just don't have the required size limitation on the xray machine. Your bag doesn't fit through, well then it isn't carry on. Easy enough to make it a plastic flap that can flip up for strollers etc.
It should be automated. You've scanned your boarding pass. If your carryon doesn't fit through the xray machine it automatically gets tagged and dropped into a pit below the security room. You get a notification on your phone that you've been charged the checked baggage fee.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:21 PM   #224
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Security is not part of the airline though. Although most airlines are all the same, carry on limitations/ size are set by the airline and nothing to do with security. I certainly do agree that carry on sizing and limitations need to be enforced, but not sure that bags and people scattered all over the floor at the gate is the answer to faster boarding and on time departures….
Old 07-20-2022, 07:52 AM   #225
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Alternately, attrition, subsequent understaffing, and inability to attract and train competent replacement workers could be contributing to the issue. I don't know, but I think I'll authoritatively claim anyway that this is the entirety of the problem and it's all the fault of bloated plutocrats and out-of-touch upper bureaucrats who preferred cutting costs to carrying payroll.
I would agree with that, especially when it comes to government related issues such as passports, travel stuff, etc.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:05 AM   #226
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
As someone who WFH and is quite productive, even moreso thatn when in the office, I really get tired of the trend to attack WFH. It reeks of jealousy from those whose jobs can't or won't allow it and it seems everyone has to either be for it or against it, just like union debates.

Like azure mentioned above, a lot of the issues with work from home are not on the worker, but the tools they have at their disposal. We went through some growing pains but after two years we are in a great position for WFH and I expect to keep doing it for a long time.
WFH isn't a shoe that fits all companies and positions, many companies weren't prepared for it and it has left a sour taste and many positions weren't good fits, some positions were good fits but were handled poorly either by the employee or supervisor.

We were mostly prepared as we were already pushing a WFH option to free up desk space so the network was already beefed up and only needed a little more, hardware shortage was a challenge for us so I could see that also being a challenge for others. Companies should be moving forward with this now and not reversing their WFH unless it truly doesn't work for the position, if its just the case of monitoring the companies need to step up and figure it out.

Wife is heading back and after lengthy layovers on the trip there which were expected they are now stuck in Toronto on an unscheduled 4 hour delay (so far) Hoping the delay doesn't lead to a cancellation. Good news is I don't have to leave work early now to pick them up.

"Oh Sam, noting ever dampens your spirts does it?" Those severe weather warnings over Ontario might.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #227
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt that anything will come out of this strike vote but if WestJet workers do go on strike later this month it will undoubtedly result in chaos in western Canada although the Feds would likely force them to stay on the job.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9003155/p...-new-contract/

Quote:
Potential strike looms as WestJet employees in Calgary, Vancouver seek new contract with airline

Unifor says the local representing more than 700 baggage and customer service agents among other employees voted to strike by 98 per cent, and could walk off the job as early as July 27.

Wages are the key issue in talks over the group’s first collective agreement with the carrier, Unifor spokesman Scott Doherty said Wednesday.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:38 AM   #228
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I doubt that anything will come out of this strike vote but if WestJet workers do go on strike later this month it will undoubtedly result in chaos in western Canada although the Feds would likely force them to stay on the job.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9003155/p...-new-contract/
"We're doing a terrible job and we want more money to do it!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #229
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Having worked with this group of people in the past they really do the best they can and do everything in their power to make everything go smoothly. Their working conditions and pay can definitely be improved and they do have to deal with a lot of crap that is beyond their control.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 11:00 AM   #230
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
“We’re overworked and understaffed” has a more sensible ring to it, don’t you think?

Last time I checked employees don’t make decisions on how to run the business.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #231
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
“We’re overworked and understaffed” has a more sensible ring to it, don’t you think?

Last time I checked employees don’t make decisions on how to run the business.
I was being very facetious.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #232
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:
Ducks

I'm at YYC right now. No sign of crisis here. Flight to Victoria is delayed 20 minutes but thats not out of the ordinary...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:13 PM   #233
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I read the other day that if you compare what airline workers got paid 30 years ago, and adjusted for inflation, wages are MUCH lower in 2022 as a comparison.

If that is even remotely true, it also adds to these ongoing problem as staffing will almost certainly be a disaster.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #234
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Yup front line staff wages, well, basically anyone other than pilots, are paid peanuts. Especially considering it's some of the worst work out there, either dealing with stressed passengers or hauling heavy baggage, with no holiday's off.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:31 PM   #235
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Front line staff need to be paid way more. Airline tickets will have to go up quite a bit as a result. It’s the only way airlines will get any stability. Who wants to work shift work for $15 an hour and get constantly yelled at and threatened?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:49 PM   #236
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Front line staff need to be paid way more. Airline tickets will have to go up quite a bit as a result. It’s the only way airlines will get any stability. Who wants to work shift work for $15 an hour and get constantly yelled at and threatened?
Air travel wasn’t cheap even with the low wages
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:11 PM   #237
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
It should be automated. You've scanned your boarding pass. If your carryon doesn't fit through the xray machine it automatically gets tagged and dropped into a pit below the security room. You get a notification on your phone that you've been charged the checked baggage fee.
Most of what appears to be oversized rolling bags actually fit the oddly square dimensions of the overhead bins. Militant enforcement likely gets backpacks more than suitcases. Which is likely good given how efficiently the suitcases fit in the overhead bins.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:25 AM   #238
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Air travel is much cheaper than it was 30 or 40 years ago. If wages go up due to labour shortages, and we see higher taxes levied to curb emissions, we can expect flying to return to being less common.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #239
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Yup front line staff wages, well, basically anyone other than pilots, are paid peanuts. Especially considering it's some of the worst work out there, either dealing with stressed passengers or hauling heavy baggage, with no holiday's off.
The only reason they can get people is the travel benefits.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #240
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Its not cheap in Canada because of lack of competition.

Just like the telecom sector, we protect our oligopolies.