Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #221
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I don't think anyone who isn't a die hard SW fan really cares/cared about Snoke, and most liked that scene. (Personally one of the best scenes in any SW film to me)

It's just a bad story, badly edited, non sensical film with terrible acting.

My guess is if this wasn't a SW branded film it would be up for flop of the year
Lol.

Now we’re getting to crazy territory with the hyperbole.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #222
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Lol.

Now we’re getting to crazy territory with the hyperbole.
What part of the story made any sense logically? I’ve already laid out the problems with the 1st half of the movie ... that it literally serves zero purpose .

The second half is a pretty good film , but the 1st hour is borderline unwatchable and the jokes made for “fanboys” are brutal in this movie.

Maybe the issue is compared to Rogue One this movie does not hold up for me
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #223
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I liked it. Superpower space Leia was dumb and there was more comedy than I’d like but overall I enjoyed it. Burn down the skywalker lore and move on, fine by me.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #224
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

What was the call back to canon that Patton Oswald referred to in that tweet saying fans would be giddy about? I assumed he meant the ancient Jedi texts but not sure. When I saw Luke’s xwing in the sea I figured we’d see Rey pull it up using the force but never happened.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #225
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it today with my kids and really enjoyed it. A little sad to see Luke’s fate. To me the biggest problem is that these movies are set up as a trilogy but the big bad now is just not that threatening. Yeah when he turned on Snoke he solidified himself as evil, but he still comes across as a lackey. I don’t feel any built in tension for the next film because he just keeps getting beat. Frankly you tweak the ending and this would have been fine as the concluding chapter.

I didn’t think Mark Hamill had the acting chops to handle much screen time but he was good.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #226
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm just frustrated with the Abrams (LOST style) mysteries in Force Awakens having no payoff or resolution.

1. The lightsaber sparked visions and was the point of much of the quest. Nothing is revealed about how it ended up from Bespin to the magic treasure chest.

2. Knights of Ren are ignored completed. Rain scene ignored. Much of Rey's vision ignored.

3. Rey is barely trained at all and is suddenly one of the most powerful and natural light-side fighters of all time.

4. Snoke shows up and dies. Nothing explained about his origins. How did he infiltrated the training school and influence Kylo?
I'm not watching Star Wars for a trilogy's worth of mysteries. I'm glad so much of this was jettisoned and now I'm not looking forward to JJ Abrams coming back.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:06 PM   #227
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watched it tonight. Lame. Also makes the force awakens lame. Everything that was introduced as a mystery in TFA is gone now and basically nothing really mattered. What the hell were they thinking?
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #228
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What was the call back to canon that Patton Oswald referred to in that tweet saying fans would be giddy about? I assumed he meant the ancient Jedi texts but not sure. When I saw Luke’s xwing in the sea I figured we’d see Rey pull it up using the force but never happened.
Not really a reference to canon at all, since it wasn't anything actually from Star Wars: http://uproxx.com/movies/star-wars-t...-rian-johnson/
Old 12-17-2017, 11:15 PM   #229
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure Patton was being facetious about it being canon.

http://uproxx.com/movies/star-wars-t...-rian-johnson/

Edit: beaten by a hair!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #230
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Yeah that'd be funny except for the fact that the original trilogy wrapped up with that and the apprentice being redeemed. You know, a nice little ending. This is the 2nd act ffs.
Yes, and now we're left to wonder how the hero is going to redeem the fallen Jedi and restore order to the galaxy. Because I don't believe for a second this trilogy ends with Rey murdering Kylo in any way shape or form.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:17 AM   #231
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Now that Snoke is dead, I'll never know why he had to be projected as a giant-sized hologram in TFA. Seriously.

As for the rest of the movie, I came to accept that TFA was meant to be a hand-off/reintroduction of the series to a younger generation, so I was hoping for some substantially new/different content in Last Jedi. I was disappointed.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #232
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it’s just me being more of a Star Trek guy too, but this whole ‘fuel’ idea is bugging me lol. It was just weird after nine movies of “spaceships! Whizz bang!” That this was the one where they started talking about how they work. Now I want to know what they use for fuel — where do they get it? It is clearly the same ‘fuel’ for the main engines and the hyperdrive. Are there galactic gas stations? Why has no ship ever seemed to run out of fuel before? In Empire Luke takes his XWing (which would not have a large fuel tank) on a jolly romp all across the galaxy without refueling. Don’t the transport ships have hyperdrive too? They did in Empire. If they all run the same why didn’t everybody just get on them and blast off in different directions?

I am being slightly sarcastic but I just kind of found it funny. There’s obviously huge implications to introducing the concept of “these ships have finite energy sources and can’t go forever” but it gets glossed over because they have a story about “the ship’s running out of gas!”
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #233
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well in Empire after the asteroid chase and space slug encounter I think it may not be outright said but implied that Han and Leia are looking for an inhabited planet within the range of fuel the Falcon has left.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #234
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I want to talk about the weirdest scene in The Last Jedi. Because I also think it was also the best scene.

Quote:
There was the blistering opening section. Which was good. There was Rey and Kylo Ren chatting over Forcebook Messenger like a pair of horny teenagers. Very good. There was the throne room sequence, vibrating with sexual tension. Also good.
And then there was the moment where Luke casually lobbed his old lightsaber over his head, which was good and probably the most blatant 'metaphor' for what Rian Johnson wanted to do with The Last Jedi: throw away legacy, to "let the past die, kill it if you have to".

Quote:
But let's get real for a second and talk about the actual best scene in The Last Jedi.
Let's talk about the moment where Luke Skywalker walked purposefully towards a gigantic fish/elephant/cow looking alien, squeezed a half litre of green, full fat milk from its engorged teat and gulped that strange liquid down with the gusto of a man satisfying a well-earned thirst.
Let's talk about that. Because it was awesome.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/12/l...the-last-jedi/
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #235
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder if we'll actually get to see the Knights Of Ren or will they'll just gloss over them too. Maybe the final showdown will be Rey plus all the force ghost Jedi versus Kylo and his Knights.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #236
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

The trend line really seems to be that if you are a “hardcore” fan who reads the comics and owns memorabilia and immersed yourself in all things Star Wars you Loved Rogue One and were middling or disliked Last Jedi.

If you are a casual fan (just watch the movies) you found Rogue One confusing and pointless, whereas the Last Jedi was inspiring and funny.

Perhaps two separate lines of movies are the way to go?

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #237
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about the complaints to be honest. I enjoyed it and I think everything makes sense to my none complete fanboy mind (i.e. I don't know what is cannon and what is not nor do I particularly care when it comes to movies).

Snoke was never there as the big baddy. He was there for Kylo Ren to fully turn to the dark side by eliminating his master. I also tend to think that Snoke knew Ren was making the choice on who to kill. He kills Rey then Snoke knows he needs to turf this apprentice and find another. He gets killed then he has brought to the galaxy what he wanted. It was something Vader never managed to do...kill his master and fully turn to the dark side. He only killed Sidious as an act of selflessness to save his son resulting in a turn to the light and ability to become one with the force.

Rey's parents... At that moment in time he is essentially trying to make Rey his apprentice and is going to try to make her lash out emotionally. He chose the thing that would hurt her the most. At that point she too made a choice, perhaps somewhat unknowingly, to move to the light side. That isn't to say Kylo wasn't telling the truth...I think he was and her parents may indeed be nothing to him. But to her they were everything no matter the lineage.

The Rose-Finn thing was a little long and could have been caught but that whole plot line was needed for the line Rose says at the end. "We don't win by fighting things we hate, but saving those things we love". It was drawn out likely to show the experiences they've gone through together to give the line impact. The problem is they spent a day together in real time but I think if it was a quick 5 minute jaunt in the movie the line would have carried absolutely no weight.

I thought the Luke story line was treated very well. It was the equivalent of the "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" moment in episode 4. Luke becomes one with the force and will guide Rey. It's a fitting "end" for Luke I think.

Also I enjoyed not just Last Jedi but Rogue One as well. So I don't think casual fan or not plays into it. Rogue One had meaning even to the casual fan I think. Though it was a different tone compared to any other star wars movie.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #238
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
I wonder if we'll actually get to see the Knights Of Ren or will they'll just gloss over them too.
You can't expect to know ALL the Knights.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #239
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

As an old timer and a hard core Star Wars nerd, I loved it! It was wonderfully unpredictable and refreshing. I loved everything about the Rey-Kylo-Luke-Snoke story arc.

They really should have cut the whole Canto Bight story, and just made Rose the Code Breaker. It would have tightened the story up and allowed more time for the other story arcs. I would have liked it if they had spent more time on Luke training Rey, but I can live with what they showed.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #240
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel conflicted right now with this movie and need another couple viewings to really get my bearings. Truth be told the Luke death took a couple hours to sink in.

I'm conflicted in that I thought it was a great movie. I think it hit the right notes of a Star Wars movie, had a lot of similar elements from ESB and ROTJ without seeming too repetitive. Space battles were well done, the humour may have been a little overdone at times but I enjoyed the extra attempts, especially Luke's shoulder brush.

I didn't enjoy it as part 2 of a trilogy, or part 8 of this story. I found the tonal switch from the last movie was a little jarring. This movie had some very hard hitting, "this is not the same story anymore" points. The lightsabre toss, the helmet destruction, the dice fading, the lightsabre torn in two and Luke's demise. This felt like the perfect type of ending to the Skywalker story, or a good start to the last trilogy. But as a middle chapter it felt too much like throwing away the old halfway through a story, Frodo tossing the ring in book 2. Fantastic at moving from one storyline to another, poor timing imo.

I really look forward to Rian Johnson getting his own new trilogy. I really liked the movie on it's own merits. I enjoyed the call-backs, particularly the fact that in the dark side cave Luke sees himself in Vader's helmet and when Rey see's herself when looking for her parents. I liked Luke's zen master translocational trick but it kind of ruined the whole "Luke got in so there must be a way out".. oh wait he didn't actually find a way in.

I would have loved to see Rey join Kylo, that was along the line of Vader is Luke's father twist I was looking for. Have her join the First Order, the remnants of the resistance trapped in a cave, Finn in a cell and set up a third movie where it is up her friends to help her find her way back to the light and redeem herself. Maybe that was just too Empire of an ending tho.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post: