Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #221
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
They're talking about what he's costing in that role, not his performace alone.
The cost is mostly irrelevant as his cap hit hasn't hurt the team's ability to do anything yet.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #222
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, many contracts before Stajan's that can be pointed to as being problematic. I agree Stajan is overpaid, but it is not nearly as egregious as many other contracts on the roster.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #223
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you could get rid of any one contract on the team, it'd be foolish to get rid of Stajan over some of the others. His contract isn't the best but he's a good 3rd or 4th line center who adds a veteran presence.

I still have a funny feeling that Wideman will either be dealt at the deadline or the draft. I think getting rid of Smid has to be one of the top jobs.

As long as the team doesn't give out any bad contracts this summer, they'll be doing fine after next year.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #224
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Ramo settled things down on the goaltending front for a while, then he went down and we're right back at square goddamn one, early October to November 2015. Flipping back and forth between two blah's in Hiller and Ortio. If the Flames still feel like the playoffs are a realistic hope, then they're chasing goalies.
I like Ramo. Once he gets in a groove, he can sustain it for a while.

But he isn't elite at the NHL and will rarely steal games. He gives a good team a chance, but not a lot of wiggle room for error.

I think we should try to do better, but I have no issue in re-signing him if whoever the would-be replacement is, is not a clear upgrade. Especially considering most free agents get grossly overpaid.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #225
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This all not considering that Stajan only has one season left on his contract.

The reason why Howard's contract really hurts is that it cripples our chances of re-signing our young core long-term.

Stajan's contract doesn't.
Stajan has 2 more years after this season, while Howard has 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
In what league does Howard make the Flames a playoff team?
I don't believe he does, but that's missing the point. Ramo does not make us a playoff team, and neither will Reimer (and he's likely to cost 4.5M+). Is there a UFA goaltender that makes us a playoff team? I don't see one, and I don't want to pay the cost to acquire via trade.

What I'm saying is... I don't want to sign an average UFA goaltender this summer to an inflated UFA dollar amount, when I believe we could instead trade for a goaltender who is every bit as capable, and likely dump 1 or more of our undesirable contracts in the process.

Who do you propose we start in goal next season?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #226
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

N/m

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 02-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #227
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Are you expecting Burke to leave soon?
It was his last move as interim GM, and one he should've left to his successor. So yes it was a parting present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Yes, because Matt Stajan and his 4th line centre role has been the issue this year.
Agreed, he's been terrible and part of problem. Glad we're on the same page.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #228
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
The cost is mostly irrelevant as his cap hit hasn't hurt the team's ability to do anything yet.
Arguable.

Given that the Flames will need to part with one or (more likely) more pending UFAs as a result of anticipated pay increases to certain players, you can make the reasonable argument that overpaying Stajan has contributed to the conditions that prevents the Flames from icing the best possible roster next season
Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #229
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Yes, because Matt Stajan and his 4th line centre role has been the issue this year.
I don't think anyone can solely blame Stajan for the team's performance, but if Trevy got a deal on the table to part with Stajan without having to add any futures or assets, I would hope that Trevy executes such a deal.

In the cap world guys like Stajan now have to be replaced by ELCs.

Last edited by MarkGio; 02-16-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #230
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2015/2016 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Coyotes down another goalie:

Dave Vest – ‏@davest4yotes

Per Don Maloney: #Coyotes goalie Anders Lindback suffered an injury to Achilles' tendon last night and is out indefinitely

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Last edited by MissTeeks; 02-16-2016 at 01:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #231
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Send them Hiller and see if Ortio can run with it. It wouldn't be considered a tank...just a learning experience!
Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #232
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting. Since they're 4 points back from a wildcard spot and desperately need the playoffs revenue, I can see them making a small push for a goalie. They're in a rebuild so they won't go over the top.

They also have cap space, but a tight budget.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #233
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Coyotes down another goalie:

Dave Vest – ‏@davest4yotes

Per Don Maloney: #Coyotes goalie Anders Lindback suffered an injury to Achilles' tendon last night and is out indefinitely
Hiller makes sense. I can't see Tippet wanting an inexperienced rookie for that role
Old 02-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #234
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

San Jose and Arizona could both be in the market for a veteran goalie now. It would be nice to get a bidding war going on.

My prediction is that Hiller goes to San Jose for Stalock and a pick, then the Flames flip Stalock to Toronto for Bernier and a pick. I foresee Ward going to Arizona.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #235
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

never mind trying to start a bidding war, if someone wants Hiller and is actually willing to take him, let alone give anything up for him you take the deal!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #236
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Arguable.

Given that the Flames will need to part with one or (more likely) more pending UFAs as a result of anticipated pay increases to certain players, you can make the reasonable argument that overpaying Stajan has contributed to the conditions that prevents the Flames from icing the best possible roster next season
They should be parting with those UFAs regardless of how much cap space they have. I don't want Russell, Hudler, Jones, Hiller... any of them back. Only one I wouldn't mind back is Ramo, and that's only if they don't find an upgrade elsewhere.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #237
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
They should be parting with those UFAs regardless of how much cap space they have. I don't want Russell, Hudler, Jones, Hiller... any of them back. Only one I wouldn't mind back is Ramo, and that's only if they don't find an upgrade elsewhere.
The Flames are a worse team on paper without Russell, Hudler and their goalies. Is that good for the club? Sure, one could argue that. But the Flames need to get rid of contracts to fit under the cap, the benefits of which are separate. So regardless if the Flames exercise good asset management at the expense of what the team looks like on paper, it can be argued that contracts such as Stajan's have caused the needed release of players due to cap purposes alone.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #238
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
never mind trying to start a bidding war, if someone wants Hiller and is actually willing to take him, let alone give anything up for him you take the deal!
That doesn't make any sense, he's a UFA this summer.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #239
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Sure, but it's still better to have two teams interested than one. Of course, one is better than none.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #240
InBurkeWeTrust
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That doesn't make any sense, he's a UFA this summer.
Makes even more sense for a team looking for a replacement till the end of the year..
Closed Thread