Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #221
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

This really opens some amazing new avenues if you're a text book publisher - imagine being able sell an e-version of a standard university text book - you can cut out the cost of paper, printing and distribution and deliver a more interactive book at a fraction of the cost...
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #222
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does that GSM MicroSim mean I can't take the sim card from my iphone and used my data plan?
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #223
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prices are more or less where I thought they'd be. 3G is great but the price is not as attractive at that price point.

As someone pointed out 16GB is pretty rinky-dink for video and media. Put some pressure on the netbook groups but by no means it is a home run for Apple.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 01-27-2010 at 12:37 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #224
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
It isn't. Thats why we're all not ejaculating on our keyboards right now.
well i guess the question is then, what would have made it that awesome?

to me i could see it being a cool computer that can really make a dent in the netbook market, but i just wondered if it did anything that would make it noteworthy.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #225
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
that's US dollars, Apple usually marks it up selling in Canada. I would guess $599 Canadian for the base. To me it's not bad product, I own an iPhone and a macbook so the only way I see this being any use to me is if I can get the 3G on it, highly doubt though 3G will be only $30 a month in Canada.

Let's say $749 for the base 3G model in Canada, $45 Canadian a month for the 3G, just seems to be getting a bit expensive.

Also, a Kindle is $259 not $400, and I still don't see myself being able to read for extended periods of time on the iPad as it's backlit and seems like it would be too heavy for that.
The base Mac Mini is more expensive than the base iPad, it the price difference in Canada is $50. I'd expect something closer to that.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #226
Keeko_ca
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Also, a Kindle is $259 not $400, and I still don't see myself being able to read for extended periods of time on the iPad as it's backlit and seems like it would be too heavy for that.
A Kindle DX is nearly $500...until later today I assume!
Keeko_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #227
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
last month i bought my wife a very nice toshiba laptop with a core 2 duo and 15.6" screen for $500... aside from being a hip and trendy tablet computer, how is the iTampon an upgrade?

(please note i am just making fun of the name, not trying to slam apple or anything)
Seeing as it's probably ugly, 6 lbs, and slow as hell, yes, it's an upgrade.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #228
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

to me i could see it being a cool computer that can really make a dent in the netbook market, but i just wondered if it did anything that would make it noteworthy.
Something like OSX, the ability to install something I want on it without having to deal with the app store that would have sold it to me.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #229
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
that's US dollars, Apple usually marks it up selling in Canada. I would guess $599 Canadian for the base. To me it's not bad product, I own an iPhone and a macbook so the only way I see this being any use to me is if I can get the 3G on it, highly doubt though 3G will be only $30 a month in Canada.

Let's say $749 for the base 3G model in Canada, $45 Canadian a month for the 3G, just seems to be getting a bit expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...NP55PW2N7G27EJ

Amazon Kindle DX $489 USD

9.7" screen
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #230
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is $259 US dollars as well. There is also the $21 for shipping and the $31 import fee. So you are around $340 for the Kindle to get to your door.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #231
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

iPhones are the same price in both the US and Canada.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #232
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only problem I have with it is the number of models

If they had one device, say 16gb with memcard slot for 550 - that would be a killer.

One with 3g and 1 without.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #233
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

I think like you said, it'll do really well in the netbook market, and it'll do really well in the e-reader market. Combined that's a pretty big group of people. I think the price on this is just massive. That product at $700 is much different than it at $500.

Kind of makes me wonder if it would be smarter to get the base wifi version and a mi-fi (I think we have mi-fi's now don't we?).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #234
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonebutedmonton View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...NP55PW2N7G27EJ

Amazon Kindle DX $489 USD

9.7" screen
You can't get the DX in Canada I was talking about the Kindle 2, but the other poster is right, with shipping etc, it gets up there.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #235
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Well, it'll be thinner and lighter definitely. I wouldn't say "slow as hell".

Still 2 different products here.

It would be more comparable to a netbook/kindle as mentioned earlier.

To me it seems more like a business product then a consumer product. If you were a web design guy, carrying around an iPad to show off your portfolio/web pages would be powerful.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #236
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
well i wouldnt think a computer with much better technical specs would be slower, but to me, getting a computer with way better hardware specs and having it weigh a few more pounds is a great tradeoff.

to me it may be a great device, i just don't see how its blowing anything out of the water or causing any manufacturers would shat their pants.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #237
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
well i wouldnt think a computer with much better technical specs would be slower, but to me, getting a computer with way better hardware specs and having it weigh a few more pounds is a great tradeoff.

to me it may be a great device, i just don't see how its blowing anything out of the water or causing any manufacturers would shat their pants.
Basically with the lower price point Apple is hoping to not only get in on the netbook market but also the eReader market. Thus doing in one device, what the other two do separately. A singular product that can be used as both, and is a 'better' option.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #238
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll ultimately be the apps that drive this. They were the thing that made the iphone really take off over its competitors, and this is looking pretty strong even just with the Apple apps. If developers start producing full-featured versions of their iphone apps for this, it will give them a huge edge over competing products.

So is that it for today then? Nothing about the new iphone OS?
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #239
Keeko_ca
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Basically with the lower price point Apple is hoping to not only get in on the netbook market but also the eReader market. Thus doing in one device, what the other two do separately. A singular product that can be used as both, and is a 'better' option.
Agreed. Also, it cracks in on the portable gaming market too.
Keeko_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #240
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeko_ca View Post
Agreed. Also, it cracks in on the portable gaming market too.
Touche.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote