Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #221
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Iginla is the kind of player that could put a lot of the contenders over the top. Despite the puck not going in for him so far this season, he's been playing fairly well, and has been the main catalyst for much of the Flames' offence this season. If Iginla was made available at the deadline (and I won't comment about whether he should be), he easily could be part of a pretty good bidding war to get him. Much lesser players have gotten 1 rounders + more at the deadline.

I suspect that the return for Iginla at the deadline could be something like 2013 1st + 2014 1st + decent prospect + decent player. The first round picks probably wouldn't end up being high first rounders, simply because it would be teams that are already good offering that deal.

I think that it is conceivable that Kipper could bring in a similar package back, except that the player coming back would likely be a goalie (whom probably would be a help to us).
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #222
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
No team looking to acquire Iginla for a deep playoff push is going to play him top 4 forward minutes unless they are almost exclusively heavy PP minutes.

Not that he couldn't do it if asked, but contending teams have better players for their top lines.

Look at Boston as an example. Iginla is not going to displace Horton, Lucic, seguin and probably not Marchand.

In New York, he won't replace Gaborik and likely not Ryan Callahan.

In St.Louis he won't replace Backes on the top line but would likely displace someone playing out of position on the 2nd.
I think heavy PP time would be part of it for sure.

I would say in Pittsburgh he is playing on a line with Crosby with heavy PP time. Likely behind Crosby/Malkin and right there with Neal for 3/4 minutes.

For Boston I think he would be right there with Lucic/Horton for 3/4 minutes on the team. I would expect he would be ahead of both of them on the PP.

In St. Louis I would think he is easily 3/4 in minutes behind Backes and Oshie.

I think he would be on the top PP unit of every team outside of NYR and that would be the big reason for his big minutes.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #223
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Jokinen was about 5 years younger the Iginla is now and had another year on his deal (Iginla doesn't) and most people would say that in retrospect that deal ended up being a mistake... I don't think we can count on another team making a mistake. Even if Joker is comparable you can fast forward a year and a slumping Olli Jokinen in his contract year returned Ales "Moneypit" Kotalik and Chris "snakebit and soon to be a free agent" Higgins. I'm not saying that would be the return for Iggy (it'd be better then that) but the second Jokinen trade is closer to Iggy's circumstances (slumping and contract year) then the first Jokinen trade.
I think Iginla is worth alot more than people are giving him credit for. He has had a slow start, but it would not shock me at all if he was at 10 goals at the 30 game mark. I would not be surprised to see the Flames get a package like Bennett, Dumoulin and a 1st rounder from Pittsburgh for Iginla. He is the type of piece that could make Pittsburgh the instant favourites to come out of the East.

Last edited by EddyBeers; 02-21-2013 at 04:42 PM.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #224
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regardless of what he is worth, he would have to be shopped, and can you honestly see KK allowing him to be shopped. Iginla would also have some say in the matter with his NTC. Iginla has shown to be a pretty hard bargainer in the past, and my guess is he will come to terms with the Flames with a fairly healthy contract until the age of 40.

Last edited by flamesfever; 02-21-2013 at 05:25 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #225
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No team looking to acquire Iginla for a deep playoff push is going to play him top 4 forward minutes unless they are almost exclusively heavy PP minutes.

Not that he couldn't do it if asked, but contending teams have better players for their top lines.

Look at Boston as an example. Iginla is not going to displace Horton, Lucic, seguin and probably not Marchand.

In New York, he won't replace Gaborik and likely not Ryan Callahan.

In St.Louis he won't replace Backes on the top line but would likely displace someone playing out of position on the 2nd.
A lot of contenders are strong at RW. For example, the Blues have Oshie, Tarasenko, and Stewart. I'm pretty sure Oshie and Backes have played together forever. So would Tarasenko move to his off-wing to make room for Iginla? I don't know if I'd risk that sort of disruption if I was the Blues.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #226
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
A lot of contenders are strong at RW. For example, the Blues have Oshie, Tarasenko, and Stewart. I'm pretty sure Oshie and Backes have played together forever. So would Tarasenko move to his off-wing to make room for Iginla? I don't know if I'd risk that sort of disruption if I was the Blues.
Exactly my point.

The only hole I can see being created is if Stewart is a piece coming back to Calgary in a trade.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #227
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I would certainly risk that disruption if I was a Blues team in 7th/8th spot with a young team that could benefit from everything that Iginla could bring.

Switching from left to right wing shouldn't be that big an issue for guys and if not the Blues could go with 3 fairly offensive lines and give the Backes line the tough defensive assignment since him and Oshie are both fairly good defensively.

Something along the lines of:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Iginla
Stewart-Macdonald-Tarasenko

That seems like a fairly solid top 9 and you put Iginla into the first PP unit for Steen and it is a much more dangerous team offensively.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #228
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly my point.

The only hole I can see being created is if Stewart is a piece coming back to Calgary in a trade.
I think Stewart would almost certainly come back in a deal with St. Louis. The Flames would want some immediate help coming back, and a big, scoring RW fits the bill.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #229
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think Stewart would almost certainly come back in a deal with St. Louis. The Flames would want some immediate help coming back, and a big, scoring RW fits the bill.
Stewart and Schwartz would not be a bad package.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #230
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
The idea that Iginla would not have value is kind of crazy.

Olli Jokinen, a thirty goal scorer at the time and a 3rd round pick was good enough to snag Phoenix a 1st rounder, Brandon Prust who was a servicable 3rd or 4th liner at the time and a young 2nd line center who was 27 at the time who had had one 46 point season and was on pace for close to a 50 point season at the time of the trade. I would suspect that a similar package would be available for Iginla.
Ha.

Jarome Iginla 2013: 35-years old, 7 million cap hit, perimeter winger, on pace for 3 goals. (6 pro-rated if you like.)
Olli Jokinen 2009: 30-years old, 5.25 million cap hit, big physical center, on pace for 30 goals.

Yes, I'm sure they would bring a totally similar package.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #231
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Ha.

Jarome Iginla 2013: 35-years old, 7 million cap hit, perimeter winger, on pace for 3 goals. (6 pro-rated if you like.)
Olli Jokinen 2009: 30-years old, 5.25 million cap hit, big physical center, on pace for 30 goals.

Yes, I'm sure they would bring a totally similar package.
Well obviously Jarome would bring in more but you have to use lesser guys like the Jokinen example as there aren't a whole lot of comparables of guys at Jarome's level getting dealt.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #232
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ C'mon man, that's a terrible comparison to make. 14 games do not make a season, how about the fact that Iginla has put up 11 straight 30 goal seasons. He's off to a notorious slow start this year, but every manager out there probably realizes that won't last.

Then we all know that Jokienen was considered a cancer when Sutter traded for him, meanwhile Iginla is highly regarded across the NHL. Even though he's never won a cup, is there a more well respected veteran in the league than Jarome? He gets a Joe Sakic level of respect from around the league from what I've heard.

Oh and even when he's playing like crap, Iginla is still on pace for a 55 point season (pro-rated), while Jokinen put up 57 points the year he was traded here. Also don't forger Jokinen had zero playoff experience, while Iggy is quite a bit (and has played in a ton of big games).

I have been saying to minimize our expectations on an Iginla trade, but he will get more value than Olli Jokienen (who was also signed on for another overpaid year after we got him).
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #233
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have to guess that Iggy would be more effective if he didn't have AHL wingers as centers. That is part of the reason he cant score
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #234
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the biggest question is whether Iginla is a problem in the locker room. If he's a good influence in the locker room, then I don't see how nothing good can come out of Iginla retiring a Flame. Good franchises take care of players who have given the franchise years of service and the Flames should try hard to have Iginla retire a Flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nobody is going to stand up in Iginla's locker room.
To be fair, Iginla hasn't had any help in the locker room. He's never had anyone near his stature with leadership abilities to share the locker room with.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #235
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd be all for Iginla retiring as a Flame if management had put in place a succession plan. If they could have drafted an impact player these past few years or could have traded for a young star in the making. But they didn't and I think that they need to shop Iginla around and try to get as much as they can for him. I don't think I could handle another "Young Guns" era of futility.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #236
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would like to see a deal with the Rangers, Iggy for Kreider and a 1st? Too much from the Rangers end? We could throw in Sarich. that first would have to be next year as I believe they traded there 1st for Nash.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #237
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
They are more than 5 years older than Iginla and produced what he did last year, WITH a centre.

If Iginla was playing like Selanne the last 3 years, do you think people would want him dealt?

No.

What is wrong with what he produced last year?

No it wasnt his best season...but certainly was top 10 in the league at his position. And he did out produce Selanne last year both in goals and points.

I think people see Iginla as a bad player now, instead of seeing him as one who was one of the best who has now just joined the ranks of very good. This seasons start aside, he has been consistently among the best in the game for many many years, and 15 games this season certainly doesnt change that.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #238
Jebus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
I would like to see a deal with the Rangers, Iggy for Kreider and a 1st? Too much from the Rangers end? We could throw in Sarich. that first would have to be next year as I believe they traded there 1st for Nash.
Kreider was a non-starter in the Nash trade negotiations. Can't see Sather doing a 180 and shipping him out for a UFA rental.

If dealing with NYR, I would love to see the Flames target Ryan McDonaugh, but the Rags would likely be more apt to move Del Zotto, who we don't really have need for with Wideman and Brodie in the lineup.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #239
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
What is wrong with what he produced last year?

No it wasnt his best season...but certainly was top 10 in the league at his position. And he did out produce Selanne last year both in goals and points.

I think people see Iginla as a bad player now, instead of seeing him as one who was one of the best who has now just joined the ranks of very good. This seasons start aside, he has been consistently among the best in the game for many many years, and 15 games this season certainly doesnt change that.
He got absolute choice minutes last year and struggled to pot 30.

Selanne plays a much better all-around game at this point in his career than #12, that's what I'm saying. 5 years older, better all-around game, similar point production.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #240
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
I'd want any firsts we get to be a 2013 first. Gotta take advantage of the deep draft as much as possible.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote