Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2022, 07:09 AM   #221
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah this is just wrong. Nobody will ever convince me that public shaming is anything but moving in the wrong direction as a society. Also when it comes to employment someone losing their job should always come at the discretion of the employer only.
What do you mean by “moving in the wrong direction”? As far as I can tell, public shaming has been part of human history since before the time of Christ. We publicly shame people who commit crimes all of the time, even long after they have served their time and before they’re even guilty, so it seems in-step that we would call out those who fund a group that is committing crimes.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:49 AM   #222
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...tion-1.6351642

Quote:
Records from the federal government show that Easy Kleen has received funding from the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program, set up to help employers who have "seen a drop in revenue during the COVID-19 pandemic."

It's not clear how much the company received, but when asked about the subsidy, Howland said it was spent on wages at the beginning of the pandemic in 2020.
I wonder if he has a spare $75k to donate to this cause whether he should have qualified for the wage subsidy.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:01 AM   #223
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
What do you mean by “moving in the wrong direction”? As far as I can tell, public shaming has been part of human history since before the time of Christ. We publicly shame people who commit crimes all of the time, even long after they have served their time and before they’re even guilty, so it seems in-step that we would call out those who fund a group that is committing crimes.
Come on.

Cancel culture has definitely gotten worse the last 5 years.

Even Obama said it.

Though I'd imagine nobody cares what he says.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:08 AM   #224
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
We also used to burn witches and hold public lynchings. I am assuming EE was referring to the direction of modern, civilized society and not the entire history of mankind.

The fact that we do something wrong sometimes doesn’t mean we should accept that it’ll naturally pervert everything else. Also, we want to go down the route of criminalizing the entirety of a protest? If I donated to BLM, am I complicit in the crimes that caused millions in damage stateside? Or should I have lost my job for publicly supporting those at Fairy Creek? Or if CPAWS illegally blocked access to coal projects, you’d have their donors list be publicized for action?

Let’s save our outrage for those who actually commit crimes. Even then, that seems to be reserved for heinous crimes and particularly severe outcomes. Crimes happen all the time, no one here could possibly name 99% of the offenders.

I find it inhumane that we have so many businesses where a criminal record is automatically a rejection. It wracks my brain to consider actually extending that level of indecency simply for supporting political causes. Are we so hungry for moral righteousness that we should be so punitive in our judgments as to actuslly destroy the livelihoods of our compatriots because they donated to a cause they at one time or another belived in? That’s despicable any way you chose.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:13 AM   #225
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cancel culture is only very recent. I mean if you want to go back to the days where you, your family, and friends all gather to watch a starving person get publicly hanged for stealing an apple I suppose you like this direction but I surely don't. I don't agree with protests in general but a lot of these protestors are just regular people at the end of the day.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 08:15 AM   #226
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get cancel culture is an exciting topic for some, but not sure why its being discussed now in this thread.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 08:17 AM   #227
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Cancel culture is only very recent. I mean if you want to go back to the days where you, your family, and friends all gather to watch a starving person get publicly hanged for stealing an apple I suppose you like this direction but I surely don't. I don't agree with protests in general but a lot of these protestors are just regular people at the end of the day.
I've heard Cancel culture described as trying to kill the digital avatar of a person... so like a virtual mob instead of the public mobs
Old 02-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #228
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Cancel culture is only very recent if you're a straight white man.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 08:21 AM   #229
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Come on.

Cancel culture has definitely gotten worse the last 5 years.

Even Obama said it.

Though I'd imagine nobody cares what he says.
I think it’s probably gotten less effective, but donating to a group activity engaged in criminal activity is quite a bit different than have told a few off-colour jokes about trans people, so I don’t really think we’re talking about the same kind of “cancel culture” in this scenario.

It’s still in keeping with Obama’s thoughts on the matter. Though I agree that nobody probably cares about what he says, considering he made a point of publicly supporting Trudeau despite wearing black face, and some people apparently against “cancel culture” still bring it up every chance they get.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:31 AM   #230
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...tion-1.6351642

I wonder if he has a spare $75k to donate to this cause whether he should have qualified for the wage subsidy.
Nice peaceful canadian citizen also:

"In 2009 he got a conditional discharge after Howland threatened to beat the principal senseless because the school stopped singing the national anthem."

Anyone seeing a pattern with these people yet?
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #231
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Nice peaceful canadian citizen also:

"In 2009 he got a conditional discharge after Howland threatened to beat the principal senseless because the school stopped singing the national anthem."

Anyone seeing a pattern with these people yet?
They are patriots?

Wait, no, it's the violence.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #232
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
We also used to burn witches and hold public lynchings. I am assuming EE was referring to the direction of modern, civilized society and not the entire history of mankind.

The fact that we do something wrong sometimes doesn’t mean we should accept that it’ll naturally pervert everything else. Also, we want to go down the route of criminalizing the entirety of a protest? If I donated to BLM, am I complicit in the crimes that caused millions in damage stateside? Or should I have lost my job for publicly supporting those at Fairy Creek? Or if CPAWS illegally blocked access to coal projects, you’d have their donors list be publicized for action?

Let’s save our outrage for those who actually commit crimes. Even then, that seems to be reserved for heinous crimes and particularly severe outcomes. Crimes happen all the time, no one here could possibly name 99% of the offenders.

I find it inhumane that we have so many businesses where a criminal record is automatically a rejection. It wracks my brain to consider actually extending that level of indecency simply for supporting political causes. Are we so hungry for moral righteousness that we should be so punitive in our judgments as to actuslly destroy the livelihoods of our compatriots because they donated to a cause they at one time or another belived in? That’s despicable any way you chose.
I actually agree with most of this personally and I think you and I are on the same page more often than we’re not, I just find this position to be out of step with where society is at or has been at recently and I don’t see much resistance to those things from most people who complain about cancel culture.

People have no problem complaining about cancel culture when they empathise with the person and a lot of difficultly not engaging it when they don’t. How many people like EE were eager to try and shame Trudeau for blackface, right? Plenty. How often do people stand up and say we should do away with sex offender registries, which serve to shame people even after they have served their time for their crime? People pick and choose what’s tasteful to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #233
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

"Cancel culture" is what angry folks (usually right-wingers) use to describe how people don't want to listen to their antiqued views or don't understand that what they say isn't universally accepted. It just happens to be called out more publicly rather than continue as the low frequency 'hum' of bad takes that include discrimination, misogyny, racism, ageism, classism, and other kinds of imbalances.

Condemnation is just a more public response in the 'last five years'.

"Cancel culture" for the Freedom convoy is not cancel culture. If you've been shut down and had laws made against you because you're severely damaging the country economically and bringing guns, hate and general disorder, that's called 'consequence culture', not 'cancel culture'. And before the right-wingers get their Limbaughs in a knot, Occupy/BLM/Eco-warriors/Anti-pipelines get shutdown all the time too in their protests.

This Convoy is far past that issue, and now is serving as an impetus for law enforcement to be strengthened and sets a tone for political discourse going forward, which Ottawa does need to take more seriously.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 08:34 AM   #234
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Wanting people to get fired for their political views is cancel culture.

Telling people they should be ashamed for a view you find perhaps despicable is not cancel culture, especially if you actually engage with them.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:34 AM   #235
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The whole 'oooh im getting canceled' is sometimes just facing the consequences of your actions.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 08:35 AM   #236
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hilarious people think cancel culture is some new thing. Try being an unwed mother in the early 20th century. Or not believing in god(or the right god) at any time in history. The Catholic Church canceled more scientists than you can count. There are no shortage of examples to look back at.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:36 AM   #237
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's hilarious people think cancel culture is some new thing. Try being an unwed mother in the early 20th century. Or not believing in god(or the right god) at any time in history. The Catholic Church canceled more scientists than you can count. There are no shortage of examples to look back at.
Not one single gay person was ever canceled.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 08:36 AM   #238
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It is new in terms of using the internet to do it.

But nice that we are still the same society that we were back then.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:38 AM   #239
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
It is new in terms of using the internet to do it.

But nice that we are still the same society that we were back then.
And the church could weaponize their flock to hang people for being "witches". Does it matter what the method is?
Old 02-15-2022, 08:41 AM   #240
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
"Cancel culture" is what angry folks (usually right-wingers) use to describe how people don't want to listen to their antiqued views or don't understand that what they say isn't universally accepted. It just happens to be called out more publicly rather than continue as the low frequency 'hum' of bad takes that include discrimination, misogyny, racism, ageism, classism, and other kinds of imbalances.

Condemnation is just a more public response in the 'last five years'.

"Cancel culture" for the Freedom convoy is not cancel culture. If you've been shut down and had laws made against you because you're severely damaging the country economically and bringing guns, hate and general disorder, that's called 'consequence culture', not 'cancel culture'. And before the right-wingers get their Limbaughs in a knot, Occupy/BLM/Eco-warriors/Anti-pipelines get shutdown all the time too in their protests.

This Convoy is far past that issue, and now is serving as an impetus for law enforcement to be strengthened and sets a tone for political discourse going forward, which Ottawa does need to take more seriously.
Its also a dodge/re-positioning of the issue at hand to a topic people feel they are on stronger ground discussing.

I don't know who's being cancelled here. But the reason why its being discussed now is because various posters feel its an easier topic to debate then trying to justify what is happening in Ottawa.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post: