Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2024, 10:38 PM   #221
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Unless Helenius grows 4 inches and packs on 40lbs I doubt he'll be Barkov 2. funny thing is he's probably more physical than Barkov though, I think his upside is more like Aho which is fantastic.
I understand your point but he’s 17. Between 17 and 22, I added 3 inches of height and about 30 lbs. Also, if he turns into Aho, that would be awesome! Like I said, I just have a gut feeling that he’s going to be a real good centre in the NHL.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:19 PM   #222
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Celebrini and Parekh would be my 2 that I would pick before Tij.

His series against Wenatchee was the clincher for me-he's a gamer.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 11:32 PM   #223
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
I understand your point but he’s 17. Between 17 and 22, I added 3 inches of height and about 30 lbs. Also, if he turns into Aho, that would be awesome! Like I said, I just have a gut feeling that he’s going to be a real good centre in the NHL.
Same with me. I added another 2 inches of height after high school. A typical male doesn't stop growing until they are 20. Some stop sooner, but some go a little later too.

When the scouts and managers are meeting with the players and their parents, you can be sure they are looking at the dads to see if there is still potential to grow a little more. If you're drafting a player that is 5'9" and the dad is 6'2", it probably alleviates the size concern a little. If the dad is also just 5'9", probably not so much.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:47 PM   #224
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
I agree that he's going to be good one but as for growing we'll see but his dad is 5'11 and his older brother is about the same at 6'.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:22 AM   #225
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd feel much better about it if we could somehow get by both Montreal and Ottawa in the reverse standings. Have a feeling one of those 2 are going to screw us on a potential Tij era here.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:12 AM   #226
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Dude's a beast but so are many in the top 10.
Passing on him for another "beast" and then see Tij go on to become a star would be soul destroying stuff.

Poolparty over Tkatchuk type vibes except it's the son of a local hero.

Rankings aren't foolproof i know. Just framing the meltdown if this were to happen.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:16 AM   #227
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Feels like the fallout from not taking him and watching him break out elsewhere would be greater than the fallout of taking him here and having him not work out.

Of course he could always come here and work out beautifully, who knows.

But unless Jarome has told Conroy "no", I'd imagine if he lines up with the Flames in Round 1 its a pretty large chance they take him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 10:09 AM   #228
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Same with me. I added another 2 inches of height after high school. A typical male doesn't stop growing until they are 20. Some stop sooner, but some go a little later too.

When the scouts and managers are meeting with the players and their parents, you can be sure they are looking at the dads to see if there is still potential to grow a little more. If you're drafting a player that is 5'9" and the dad is 6'2", it probably alleviates the size concern a little. If the dad is also just 5'9", probably not so much.
This is a bit of an exaggeration. Growing taller until age 20 is not typical (although it certainly does happen) and growth after that point is pretty rare. Most guys stop growing in high school, with the average male reaching peak height at 16. A lot of guys see major improvements in posture and muscle mass between 16-20, which makes them seem taller.

It's all a bit of a moot point anyways. If Jack Hughes can succeed, so can this guy. The NHL has changed. Without obstruction, size isn't as big of a factor.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:19 AM   #229
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

They absolutely do. The WHL teams send out questionnaires and you have to put your shoe size and parent size on them. If the mom is Venus Williams the scouts panties get moist.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 11:21 AM   #230
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Feels like the fallout from not taking him and watching him break out elsewhere would be greater than the fallout of taking him here and having him not work out.

But unless Jarome has told Conroy "no", I'd imagine if he lines up with the Flames in Round 1 its a pretty large chance they take him.

I'm not sure Jarome has that kind of power with the team, and if he does, then we've got bigger issues. Him giving his OK to management on drafting his kid should not be a part of the decision making at all. In fact, I'd argue that you probably don't want him included in any kind of prospect analysis discussions involving his son.
Our scouts have been evaluating these players for years at this point and have done a pretty damn good job the last number of years. Gotta rely on them and their expertise.

Adding to that, in Conroy's interview on Afterhours the other day, he basically laid out their strategy of picking BPA from their list. I'm pretty indifferent on drafting Tij, but if we get him, it means he was BPA based on our rankings, and if not, it means either he wasn't available or we didn't think he was BPA.
Pretty simple.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 11:28 AM   #231
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

The bolded part is some Carl Lindros type stuff.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:21 PM   #232
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If someone does take him "early" they are leaving someone previously ranked higher for the Flames...no point in worrying
Old 04-09-2024, 12:32 PM   #233
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
We're trying to finish 9th and sell jerseys.
Lol and we're damn good at it too!

I'm all for taking Iginla - this franchise needs elite talent upfront and it appears that he's in that conversation. The name factor can't and won't enter the equation for Conroy and his staff.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:45 PM   #234
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

we need this kid
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:50 PM   #235
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
[/B]

I'm not sure Jarome has that kind of power with the team, and if he does, then we've got bigger issues. Him giving his OK to management on drafting his kid should not be a part of the decision making at all. In fact, I'd argue that you probably don't want him included in any kind of prospect analysis discussions involving his son.
Our scouts have been evaluating these players for years at this point and have done a pretty damn good job the last number of years. Gotta rely on them and their expertise.

Adding to that, in Conroy's interview on Afterhours the other day, he basically laid out their strategy of picking BPA from their list. I'm pretty indifferent on drafting Tij, but if we get him, it means he was BPA based on our rankings, and if not, it means either he wasn't available or we didn't think he was BPA.
Pretty simple.
Valuing Jarome's opinion who obviously knows his son very well in this very unique situation is valuable. No one is saying we are taking Jarome's advice on how to manage the team. But he is the greatest player to ever put on a flames jersey, and his son just happens to have a chance to play on a team he created his complete legacy at. Of course we should hear what Jarome has to say. I'm sure connie feels the same. Ultimately, Conroy knows Jarome and Tij very well. If he reaches out and wants Jarome's honest opinion, then simply value it, and respect it, based on this unique situation. I have full trust in Conroy's judgement with whatever he does/drafts.

Last edited by FlameyMcFlameFace; 04-09-2024 at 12:56 PM.
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:52 PM   #236
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless we finish closer to drafting 10th or above I think some of you are really setting yourselves up for disappointment if you think the Flames are going to reach for Iginla. I think there is some serious bias here in where some of you are projecting him. If the Flames finish where they currently are unless they trade back I think the odds of them selecting Iginla are pretty damn slim.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:53 PM   #237
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post

I'm not sure Jarome has that kind of power with the team, and if he does, then we've got bigger issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post

The bolded part is some Carl Lindros type stuff.
I'm pretty sure the special advisor to the GM (and long time friend) would have the power to ask Conroy to not draft his son if that was how he ended up feeling about it (and I'm not saying he would or does).
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:06 PM   #238
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Unless we finish closer to drafting 10th or above I think some of you are really setting yourselves up for disappointment if you think the Flames are going to reach for Iginla. I think there is some serious bias here in where some of you are projecting him. If the Flames finish where they currently are unless they trade back I think the odds of them selecting Iginla are pretty damn slim.
This is a bit confusing...

"Unless we finish closer to drafting 10th or above... we'll be dissapointed because the Flames aren't going to reach for Iginla." (paraphrased)

= If we don't finish with a top 10 pick, we're not getting Iggy because we're not going to trade up (meaning Iggy is going in the top 10).

"I think there is some serious bias here in where some of you are projecting him.

= His last name is the only reason you guys are projecting him to go in the top 10 (meaning Iggy isn't going in the top 10).

"If the Flames finish where they currently are unless they trade back I think the odds of them selecting Iginla are pretty damn slim."

= If the Flames finish with the 8th overall pick (which is a top 10 pick), they're not going to trade down to get Iggy (meaning he's not a top 10 pick).

I guess the second and third bits line up, but that first bit is really messing me up.... "unless we finish closer to 10th and above" (translation 1: unless we finish closer to a top 10 pick ... translation 2: we're probably not finishing with a top 10 pick), "some of you are going to be dissapointed if you think we're reaching for Iggy" (translation: the Flames aren't reaching for Iggy question: is "reaching" up or down?). Putting it all together... we're probably not finishing with a top 10 pick, so you're gonna be dissapointed becuase we aren't reaching (up? down?) for Iggy.

This sounds like you're saying that Iggy is going in the top 10 but we're not picking in the top 10 and we're not trading up to pick in the top 10... but then you go on to say we're biased in ranking him in the top 10, and that we're probably finishing where we are now (8th pick) and we're not trading down to get him.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:34 PM   #239
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
This is a bit confusing...

"Unless we finish closer to drafting 10th or above... we'll be dissapointed because the Flames aren't going to reach for Iginla." (paraphrased)

= If we don't finish with a top 10 pick, we're not getting Iggy because we're not going to trade up (meaning Iggy is going in the top 10).

"I think there is some serious bias here in where some of you are projecting him.

= His last name is the only reason you guys are projecting him to go in the top 10 (meaning Iggy isn't going in the top 10).

"If the Flames finish where they currently are unless they trade back I think the odds of them selecting Iginla are pretty damn slim."

= If the Flames finish with the 8th overall pick (which is a top 10 pick), they're not going to trade down to get Iggy (meaning he's not a top 10 pick).

I guess the second and third bits line up, but that first bit is really messing me up.... "unless we finish closer to 10th and above" (translation 1: unless we finish closer to a top 10 pick ... translation 2: we're probably not finishing with a top 10 pick), "some of you are going to be dissapointed if you think we're reaching for Iggy" (translation: the Flames aren't reaching for Iggy question: is "reaching" up or down?). Putting it all together... we're probably not finishing with a top 10 pick, so you're gonna be dissapointed becuase we aren't reaching (up? down?) for Iggy.

This sounds like you're saying that Iggy is going in the top 10 but we're not picking in the top 10 and we're not trading up to pick in the top 10... but then you go on to say we're biased in ranking him in the top 10, and that we're probably finishing where we are now (8th pick) and we're not trading down to get him.
When I meant 10 or above I meant drafting at 10 or later than 10. I think 10 is about as high as I can see Iginla going. Most draft guys have him between 12-16.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:46 PM   #240
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not a draft expert and never claimed to be but the way Tij Iginla is rising late in the season, and watching him play makes me think he's going to be a star player. No guarantee and still lots of work to do but I absolutely love him as a prospect, with or without the last name.

His ability to find room, to know where to go and be open then get off a quick shot is high level, one of the best shots in the draft. Fantastic abilities in the offensive zone as well, great at creating his own space via his edge work and also great acceleration when carrying the puck. His passing ability is underrated too. Iginla isn't going to wow with his insane passes but what makes him a good passer is his puck handling and ability to hold onto the puck. He's really good in the offensive zone and controlling the play and finding open guys, he's really patient.

The thing he has to work on, and I'm stealing a bit from various scouting reports are; defence, strength and his skating. All things that can be worked on and maybe this is where I'm giving credit to his last name but from watching his dad and seeing interviews with Tij this isn't a kid who's going to stop working at any point soon. Also a small point is his late birth year. August 1st. He still has lots of development compared to guys born late September - January in the 2024 draft

Like I said.. potential star.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote