Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2023, 01:41 PM   #221
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Except they're still innocent while they're on the stand, so the "but they did do it" wouldn't (shouldn't, at least) come into play.

Granted, if they were pretty adament about not doing anything throughout the course of the proceedings, and stuck to that even in their post-findings address to the court (having been found guilty), then that would demonstrate a lack of remorse, which would be taken into account during the decision of punishment.

But if all we're talking about is an "I didn't do it" during the actual arrest, then... I mean, I can't imagine there are a lot of times when someone says "It was me, it was all me, I confess to everything" while they're being cuffed lol.
Looch’s story was nothing happened. He was just there minding his own business and then he was shocked that the police showed up. So he has to maintain that story if he takes the stand otherwise his credibility is quite easily attacked. So when they show the pictures of the injuries he had to say “nothing happened” and when they show the broken lamp he has to say “not sure how that broke”. There was a lot of things he could have said that do not include “I did it”. His version of events is that nothing happened, the entire incident is made up.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 02:08 PM   #222
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Except they're still innocent while they're on the stand, so the "but they did do it" wouldn't (shouldn't, at least) come into play.

Granted, if they were pretty adament about not doing anything throughout the course of the proceedings, and stuck to that even in their post-findings address to the court (having been found guilty), then that would demonstrate a lack of remorse, which would be taken into account during the decision of punishment.

But if all we're talking about is an "I didn't do it" during the actual arrest, then... I mean, I can't imagine there are a lot of times when someone says "It was me, it was all me, I confess to everything" while they're being cuffed lol.
Of course it comes into play. Presumption of innocence is what you go in with. Then you tell your story if you get on the stand. If that story is inconsistent with your prior statement it affects your credibility. A judge or jury is entitled to reject testimony if it lacks credibility.

So now, if he changes his story from, for example, "nothing happened" to "we had a fight and both people were physical" the next question is "why did you lie to the police" and the third question is "well, which story should we believe, or is none of it true"?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:12 PM   #223
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Looch’s story was nothing happened. He was just there minding his own business and then he was shocked that the police showed up. So he has to maintain that story if he takes the stand otherwise his credibility is quite easily attacked. So when they show the pictures of the injuries he had to say “nothing happened” and when they show the broken lamp he has to say “not sure how that broke”. There was a lot of things he could have said that do not include “I did it”. His version of events is that nothing happened, the entire incident is made up.
That's a lot to glean from reports stating "when he answered the door and stated “nothing happened” and provided no explanation for the incident."

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/bo...ent-police-say

The alleged victim also has some complications around initially stating Lucic choked her, and then saying otherwise when police responded.

Like anything this is probably a lot more storied and complicated than what's currently in the news. However, it's pretty clear that something happened and Lucic will need to account for it.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:26 PM   #224
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
That's a lot to glean from reports stating "when he answered the door and stated “nothing happened” and provided no explanation for the incident."

The alleged victim also has some complications around initially stating Lucic choked her, and then saying otherwise when police responded.

Like anything this is probably a lot more storied and complicated than what's currently in the news. However, it's pretty clear that something happened and Lucic will need to account for it.

Let’s not allow facts to get in the way of collective internet outrage. We’ve already made up our mind that there are never nuances in what’s reported in the media.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 04:01 PM   #225
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well if nothing happened it follows that anything someone says happened is made up. Those two are mutually exclusive, one cannot have something happen and have that thing not happen at the same time.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:11 PM   #226
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well if nothing happened it follows that anything someone says happened is made up. Those two are mutually exclusive, one cannot have something happen and have that thing not happen at the same time.
Right. If his initial story was: "yes something happened and this is what it was", then he stands a better chance later on if he relies on the same story.

If he says "nothing happened" then a later story that something happened but not his fault, then he has to explain. If you are in court and you have to explain, it's a problem.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:38 PM   #227
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It is weird that she said she was choked but then said she was not choked. If too bad no one else was there to witness. It's just a "he said", "she said". In my experience, witness statements are quite reliable in situations like this.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:49 PM   #228
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wrong thread

Last edited by Boreal; 11-22-2023 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:57 PM   #229
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or the more likely scenario is that he said that in the moment to minimize police involvement, and also probably to minimize responsibility. Not saying that it was right or justified, but it's not going to be drawn along the lines you're talking about.

It's not rational to look at it through the all or nothing lens.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 10:59 PM   #230
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope their kids didn't witness the choke.
Old 11-22-2023, 11:02 PM   #231
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty normal for an abused women to defend the husband after the fact
Old 11-23-2023, 12:21 AM   #232
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
It is weird that she said she was choked but then said she was not choked. If too bad no one else was there to witness. It's just a "he said", "she said". In my experience, witness statements are quite reliable in situations like this.
Except that’s not exactly accurate. The report said there was a 911 call reporting that he tried to “choke” her. It never said who made the call. Later, the police asked her if Lucic tried to “strangle” her and she said no.

A. She might not have made the 911 call. We don’t know who was in the house. We know there were kids there for a sleepover.

B. She might differentiate between being choked for a moment and being strangled.

C. The 911 dispatcher may have gotten the message wrong if it was hurried/crying/etc.

Anyway, it only matters if it goes to court and he takes the stand. I suspect this will end in a plea bargain.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2023, 07:43 AM   #233
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I assume you mean "unreliable".
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 07:58 AM   #234
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That’s not how criminal justice works. The state has to prove its case; The defendant doesn’t need to account for anything.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 08:15 AM   #235
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
That’s not how criminal justice works. The state has to prove its case; The defendant doesn’t need to account for anything.
But if the wife testifies that he did something, and he doesn't say anything, unless her testimony is extremely unreliable, she is likely believed.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #236
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And when they have her say something happened, if he says nothing, the evidence is 100% one way. If he gets on the stand, his credibility will be challenged based on inconsistent statements. His best bet at that point would be to say he gaslit the cops because he was hoping they'd just go away.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:14 AM   #237
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Pretty normal for an abused women to defend the husband after the fact
Absolutely. GioforPM gave an outline of possibilities that could account for discrepancies.

Quote:
That's not quite true though, is it? At minimum, if Lucic is of the defense that nothing significantly criminal occurred he will have to account for the physical and observable evidence (broken lamp, reddish marks, alleged intoxication, etc).

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-23-2023, 09:27 AM   #238
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

May I just add again that there's almost no chance this makes it to a trial. Charges dropped, alternative measures, plea bargain, etc. are all far more likely.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2023, 09:29 AM   #239
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post

Doesn't sound good.
Staying out of the he said/she said politics, but the accusations are present.
The prosecutor inspires way more confidence than that defense lawyer...

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 09:32 AM   #240
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
The prosecutor inspires way more confidence than that defense lawyer...
When you don’t have good facts you want good law. Doubt the defence lawyer has either.