Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #221
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Held my nose and voted for Uncle Len over the weekend.

I didn't see a Rhino candidate in Calgary-Confed, otherwise I was going that route.

Now to wait and see what Ontario has decided for us.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #222
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The SNC thing is literally Trudeau undermining the justice system though.
Not really. It's politics through and through.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #223
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well I think I'm back on the "not voting" train. I'm in Rempel's riding, and I think it's ridiculous to have an MP represent you that doesn't even live in the same country, so conservative is out. There's no way I could vote Liberal given how much of an ass Trudeau is, so that only really leaves the NDP. However I haven't seen a single orange sign anywhere around nose hill. There's a ton of Rempel signs and a few PPC, but that's it. I'd have no way of even knowing the name of the NDP candidate without a specific Google search, if they can't even be bothered to do a minimal amount of campaigning then why do they deserve my vote?

So I'm back to my original conclusion that there just aren't any good options this year. I'm sitting this one out
The NDP candidate lives in Signal Hill as per the NDP website. Hey it's better than oklahoma rite?

There's quite a few malcontents to vote for in Calgary Nose Hill!

I mean, you don't have to fulfill the liberal candidates "Alberta should fit in or #### off" opinion.

Larry Heather is running.

Stephen Garvey has his nomination here.

Finally left of those two is the PPC candidate, but if you're voting ppc then that's your vote.

I'm certain if you hang out in the Deerfoot City parking lot you can find a soldiers of odin recruiter to do a blood eagle on one of the denizens of huntington with.

Of course there's oklahoma Rempel, however most of the Edgemont and Hamptons crowd will probably vote for her.

There's the Marxist-Leninist candidate (they had 71 votes last election!), as well as the Rhino Party candidate.

The Rhino party candidate did have an AMA on the Calgary Reddit and had a meet and greet in August, before the delta variants gained traction.

What kind of riding is this where the most popular parties can't even get a person who lives in the riding to be nominated?

To be eco-friendly remember to walk to the local polling station on September 20.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #224
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I'm just being pedantic. I agree Trudeau needs to go but the social conservatives in the CPC need to go more so I can't vote for them.
That's why I appreciate the PPC so much, it's slowly drawing away more of the crazies.

I would have loved to vote NDP if I had a real candidate
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #225
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone in this house is voting Liberal, even my dyed in the wool, normally staunchly conservative voting husband. He loathes this iteration of the conservative party, feels O'Foole is Kenney with less hair, and won't touch Singh with a 10 foot pole - or any of the other parties, since they're all nuttier than the fed conservatives. Our CPC MP is dumber than a sack of hammers, habitually unavailable & has done jack diddly effing squat for our riding.

Last edited by Minnie; 09-13-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:04 PM   #226
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
You're good with the PMO interfering in criminal trials where they might be implicated?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #227
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

My ballot for Natalie Odd, Green party, Calgary Confederation was put into the mail last week.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #228
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
You're good with the PMO interfering in criminal trials where they might be implicated?
It's old news and you are completely over-hyping it.

The AG is a cabinet position and serves at the pleasure of the Prime Minister.

I'm not a Trudeau supporter by any stretch, but using SNC as a reason to not vote Liberal is silly.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #229
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Everyone in this house is voting Liberal, even my dyed in the wool, normally staunchly conservative voting husband. He loathes this iteration of the conservative party, feels O'Foole is Kenney with less hair, and won't touch Singh with a 10 foot pole - or any of the other parties, since they're all nuttier than the fed conservatives. Our CPC MP is dumber than a sack of hammers, habitually unavailable & had done jack diddly effing squat for our riding.
Who’s your current MP? Would be nice if there was some competitive races here in Calgary. My riding just defaults to blue (not saying that isn’t the best choice) but having a legitimate race with real ideas and strong competition would lead to a much healthier democracy. I might not even vote due to covid and the landslide blue wave that will be in my riding.

Had a discussion with my neighbors and they couldn’t even name the candidate in our area. Basically vote blue because it’s the “Alberta thing to do.” Such a dangerous perception as this is how the political process is under minded. What incentive is there for my MP to campaign, debate, share ideas when the outcome is basically a given. I expect more from our political system and all parties should have ideas that invigorate their demographic.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #230
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man the wing nut hecklers are handing this election to trudeau. Every major news outlet but the post headline is some crazy ahole who yelled sexist stuff about his wife and asked him to "go". with his track record reminding everyone about the loud white redneck and how awful that group is is just about the only winning strategy I could have imagined 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by Matty81; 09-13-2021 at 11:11 PM. Reason: oops meant to post in general politics thread
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #231
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Man the wing nut hecklers are handing this election to trudeau. Every major news outlet but the post headline is some crazy ahole who yelled sexist stuff about his wife and asked him to "go". with his track record reminding everyone about the loud white redneck and how awful that group is is just about the only winning strategy I could have imagined 2 weeks ago.
Speaking for myself (and I consider myself pretty informed of the options), I’ve even found here that a lot of the extreme dramatics around Trudeau has actually softened my view of him and made me question some things. I’ve always been of the mind that the majority of people wouldn’t actually care about the scandals (said as much last year), but the over the top posts about him being a dictator, worse than Trump, controlling the media, etc and the constant rehash of stuff we’ve been over (blackface, among others) instead of any relevant commentary has actually swayed me to take it even less seriously.

The crazies have actually succeeded in making criticism of Trudeau look… crazy. It’s not, and shouldn’t be. But it’s pretty hard not to question yourself a little bit when a very loud section that agrees with you happens to be conspiracy theorists and other nutjobs. Especially when a lot of what you would consider fair and moderate critics just nod along with the crazies (assuming because their criticism is pointed in a desirable direction).

Pretty funny, I guess. The more unhinged your critics look, the better you look when they’re critical of you.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #232
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Held my nose and voted for Uncle Len over the weekend.

I didn't see a Rhino candidate in Calgary-Confed, otherwise I was going that route.

Now to wait and see what Ontario has decided for us.
I was hoping we would have a Rhino in Confed but it didn't happen. I'm not even going to bother voting this time around. All the candidates here are worthless.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #233
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
Who’s your current MP? Would be nice if there was some competitive races here in Calgary. My riding just defaults to blue (not saying that isn’t the best choice) but having a legitimate race with real ideas and strong competition would lead to a much healthier democracy. I might not even vote due to covid and the landslide blue wave that will be in my riding.

Had a discussion with my neighbors and they couldn’t even name the candidate in our area. Basically vote blue because it’s the “Alberta thing to do.” Such a dangerous perception as this is how the political process is under minded. What incentive is there for my MP to campaign, debate, share ideas when the outcome is basically a given. I expect more from our political system and all parties should have ideas that invigorate their demographic.
Richards.

We have the most "hotly contested" riding apparently, with the most candidates vying for the position. Richards for the Cons, Sloan as an independent (barf, puke, spit), Gamble for the Liberals, Wellwood for the PPC, Blum for the Greens, Zagoda for the NDP, Elnaga for the Maverick party (lol), some old coot named Ron Voss who is entered as an independent & vows "not to go to Ottawa" LOL, and a late entry from a Caroline O'Driscoll who is also running as an independent. I think that's all of them.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:23 PM   #234
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah I totally agree pepsi. Strategy wise he should be getting hammered on his electoral promises he failed to keep and his record, for example on the environmental promises but instead social media is flooded with these eff trudeau people with pics of him looking like Castro and the other bs at events... at best dumbing down and blunting the attacks and at worst making him look like some kind of hero just by being in opposition to the attitude of the people spouting it.

Governing pms always have a shelf life and I thought it was curtains a couple weeks ago but it seems like momentum is with him right now. Though still time to go, and 6 more spin cycles, I think any hopes of a conservative majority are done if I was a betting man

Last edited by Matty81; 09-13-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #235
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of surprised by the dislike of OToole, a fighter pilot lawyer seems better credentialed than Trudeau was when he first ran for PM.

I’ve almost always voted Liberal for 30+ years. But I’d like more sensible spending and lower taxes so I am leaning towards CPC. The woke language laws the Libs brought concern me too (at least as much as the bible thumpers and conspiracy nuts on the right). And I’d like some drama/scandal free government for a cycle or two and OToole seems more likely to provide it.

So, other than saying he looks like a dork what’s the complaint with OToole?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #236
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Holy crap.

I have never witnessed a thread go down the tubes as fast as this

It’s like a cartoon. Loonie tunes
Old 09-13-2021, 09:20 PM   #237
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's old news and you are completely over-hyping it.

The AG is a cabinet position and serves at the pleasure of the Prime Minister.

I'm not a Trudeau supporter by any stretch, but using SNC as a reason to not vote Liberal is silly.
I'd love to know the mental gymnastics that would make this statement true.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 09:28 PM   #238
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Went to the advance poll today, since I literally drive by the polling place on the way home, and figured it would be mostly empty today, which it was.

Including walking halfway around the school from the street to walk straight into the gym, in and out in 5 minutes.

Voted for Chahal. I think he’s be a good MP, as he has been a good Councillor. Had to hold my nose at the leader and corruption though. No matter what, it’s good to have provincial MPs that are from more than 1 party, need some diverse representation that way.

Now hopefully no party gets a majority, and whatever happens, the liberals punt their leader.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:31 PM   #239
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Trudeau got hammered for a ethical violation. Butts was forced to leave, he lied to the committee. A Attorney General was pressured to interfere in the justice system on behalf of a Liberal friendly corporation that later got fined 280 million dollars for corruption. Its not just a politics thing,

On top of it, the Liberals shut down committees investigating it to protect the PM and his office. And the RCMP was refused the requested disclosure of documents by the PMO.

Its not just politics. Its the definition of corruption.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #240
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well, I am starting to expect a Liberal Majority which will be the absolute worst result, and this country will be even further divided on top of an out of control Liberal party with their hand on the checkbook, full majorities in committee and the ability to pass completely odorous bills like C-10.

But if that happens, we get what we deserve.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: