Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 01:11 AM   #221
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 01-01-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #222
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Media player help.

I like to listen to a variety of stations throughout the day that have live streaming audio. Starting last night and continuing into today, the media players on each site will play for a couple minutes then they just shut down. The prompt to "start" or "ready" comes bak and when clicked, it just searches for about 3 seconds and comes back to the same prompt.

very odd, and its happening on every single station I attempt to connect to.

Any ideas from the gurus?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #223
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Anybody?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #224
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I got nuthin. Some sort of network problem? I take it then that you have to close the browser window and reopen it and relaunch the audio feed to get it to play for another 3 minutes? Does it act the same regardless of the browser (IE vs. Firefox)?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #225
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon
I got nuthin. Some sort of network problem? I take it then that you have to close the browser window and reopen it and relaunch the audio feed to get it to play for another 3 minutes? Does it act the same regardless of the browser (IE vs. Firefox)?
yes on the close and re-open

No idea on firefox...hated that thing on my last cmop. so i never put it on the new one.

Thanks for answering tho dude!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #226
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

I had that recently T99 on several radio stations (the Fan Calgary, and Toronto and another I can't remember). Every time I rebooted the player, it started at the same point, and stopped at the same point.

Seemed like a cache would be replayed but not new content. Time addressed it, as everything else I did had no effect.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #227
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Cache.. yeah try emptying your cache on IE.

You also *could* install Firefox just to try it and see what happens.. if nothing else it would give a better idea if it's a IE problem or something else.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #228
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished formatting the hard drive of my computer and re-installing everyting, starting from scratch. Now I have an alterior problem, it's freezing at a rapid pace and it's never done this before. What could be the cause?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:28 AM   #229
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze
I just finished formatting the hard drive of my computer and re-installing everyting, starting from scratch. Now I have an alterior problem, it's freezing at a rapid pace and it's never done this before. What could be the cause?

Is it just the streaming media that's freezing or the whole system? Any errors? CTRL-ALT-DEL do anything? Any details would be helpful.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:19 AM   #230
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd suggest trying to find the direct links to these stations (ones that you listen to continually) and open them in an external application like Windows Media Player Classic.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:09 AM   #231
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough
Is it just the streaming media that's freezing or the whole system? Any errors? CTRL-ALT-DEL do anything? Any details would be helpful.
The entire system. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. I can't do a restart either or it automatically freezes up as soon as it gets back to windows. I have to do a power down by holding in the power button in until it turns off then leave it for a couple minutes. Then I can turn it back on and it will run for a little while.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #232
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The entire system. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. I can't do a restart either or it automatically freezes up as soon as it gets back to windows. I have to do a power down by holding in the power button in until it turns off then leave it for a couple minutes. Then I can turn it back on and it will run for a little while.
Had you ran windows updates yet?

Is your computer behind a hardware based firewall? (router will do)

I've seen it happen before where I had to reinstall windows, but because the computer was not behind a router it got infected before I could run windows updates. I had to take the computer back to my office and re-install everything again.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #233
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Windows updates are installed and it's still freezing.

The only firewalls I'm aware of are the one you get through Shaw's internet connection and also the one in windows security center (this one is now disabled).

oh, and just to add to that, the fan in the tower sounds like it's about to blow up. Christ.

Last edited by Eddie Bronze; 01-12-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:26 AM   #234
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Windows updates are installed and it's still freezing.

The only firewalls I'm aware of are the one you get through Shaw's internet connection and also the one in windows security center (this one is now disabled).

oh, and just to add to that, the fan in the tower sounds like it's about to blow up. Christ.
Complete lock ups like the one you described are rarely software related. Viruses, spyware, and buggy programs in general can cause all sorts of instabilities and behaviours but a complete lockup where hard-rebooting (cutting power, holding the power button) is necessary is almost always hardware related (or at least driver related).

Unfortunately it can be just about anything. The usual suspects are (in no order):
CPU Heat
Video Card Heat
Faulty motherboard components
Faulty power supply
Faulty memory (ram)

There are a LOT more things that can cause these types of lockups, but they're the most common.

Because you mentioned a noisy fan, I'm going to guess that the problem is heat related (probably power supply), so that's where you should start looking.

If you are comfortable opening up your computer case and checking out some stuff inside, here's a few things to try.

While the computer is running, try to identify where the noisy fan is. The most likely place will be the power supply's internal fan, which you should be able to see without opening up the computer, right near where the power cable plugs into your machine. If this is where the noise is coming from, it's very likely you need a new power supply. You should be able to get one for under $50 from memory express.

If it's coming from inside the machine somewhere, open up the case while the computer is on (try not to touch anything). Locate the CPU heatsink (should be a fairly large aluminum-looking block with a fan on it). Is that the noisy fan? Replace the fan; it will be cheap (under $20 from memory express).

There may also be a fan on your video card, check this for noise as well.

Another thing to try is to shut the machine down immediately after it locks up. It will take a few minutes for things to start cooling down. Hold on to the chassis of the case (or the power supply) with one hand while you touch anything in your computer. Touch the CPU heatsink with your finger. It should definitely be warm but it should not be too hot to touch. CPUs typically begin to fail/act weird at around 70 degrees or so, depending on the make. If you can't hold your finger on it without pain, there's a good chance this is your problem. Try this also with the video card heatsink and any other heatsinks on your motherboard (some have several heatsinks). There shouldn't be anything too hot to touch in there.

If you have your motherboard manual, it may have instructions on getting an actual temperature reading from your CPU using a built-in probe. This varies for each make of board, so I can't help you with this except to say that getting in the 70-80 degree range (celsius) is usually too hot for most CPUs.

Also take a look on your motherboard for defects. Look for darker and/or burned patches on the motherboard. Also check for expanding capacitors. Capacitors look a little like batteries standing up on your motherboard (there should be a bunch of them right close to the CPU). If they are bulging or appear discolored, this may be the problem. Hopefully not, since you need to replace the whole motherboard if this is the case.

Since you obviously are ok with reinstalling windows, you could try reformatting and reinstalling just to see if that helps the problem, but its more likely to be hardware related. If you reinstall, run the machine for awhile before installing anything extra and see if it runs without locking up. Install things one by one and try to determine which piece of software triggers the lockups.

I can give you more suggestions but these are the most likely culprits. Post back here if you have any other questions.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #235
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks a lot for the help so far. I actually took the side panel off the tower yesterday and the noise is coming from the fan that is inside the computer. I knew it wasn't the video card because that is brand new. I actually put my finger on the fan inside the computer and stopped it and the noise was gone. At the moment I type this, it's not making any unusual noise. After I took the side panel off yesterday and stopped the fan with my finger 4-5 times, it actually ran for quite a long time without interruption. So, I'm hoping that's the only problem. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #236
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Question about upgrades to my pc

I have a quick question for people for are good with pc's. Im thinking about doing some minor upgrades. Currently I have a AMD Athlon Xp 1800+(1.53ghz) 512 MB Ram, and a ATI Radeon 8500. Im just thinking about for now upgrading the video card and the ram.I wanna get another stick of 512 ram.If I uprade the video card, its a Sapphire Radeon X1300 512mb card that Im thinking about, will I really notice a differnce because Im still using a slow processor. Will I just be wasting my money until I buy a new processor? Any help is greatly apprceated thank you.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #237
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the help so far. I actually took the side panel off the tower yesterday and the noise is coming from the fan that is inside the computer. I knew it wasn't the video card because that is brand new. I actually put my finger on the fan inside the computer and stopped it and the noise was gone. At the moment I type this, it's not making any unusual noise. After I took the side panel off yesterday and stopped the fan with my finger 4-5 times, it actually ran for quite a long time without interruption. So, I'm hoping that's the only problem. Thanks again.
It wouldn't hurt to add another fan to improve the air flow in your computer. If you can. I was having a heat issue with my computer and did quite a bit to fix the problem. I added a fan at the front of the computer and it would push the air to the back of the computer. My computer came with a "scoop" that was directly above the CPU and was supposed to funnel the hot air from the cpu fan out of the computer, but it blocked air flow more than anything, so I removed that scoop. I also added this:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.p...uctID=546&SID=

and it helped take the heat from the graphics card and vent it out of the computer. I suspect I can remove the fan from the front of my computer... or maybe I did... at any rate I've solved me heat problem.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #238
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSutterWeTrust
I have a quick question for people for are good with pc's. Im thinking about doing some minor upgrades. Currently I have a AMD Athlon Xp 1800+(1.53ghz) 512 MB Ram, and a ATI Radeon 8500. Im just thinking about for now upgrading the video card and the ram.I wanna get another stick of 512 ram.If I uprade the video card, its a Sapphire Radeon X1300 512mb card that Im thinking about, will I really notice a differnce because Im still using a slow processor. Will I just be wasting my money until I buy a new processor? Any help is greatly apprceated thank you.
Your current video card is AGP, correct? The Sapphire Radeon is PCI-E, at least the one I saw. Judging on your CPU I'll assume that your MB won't take PCI-E.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #239
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff
Your current video card is AGP, correct? The Sapphire Radeon is PCI-E, at least the one I saw. Judging on your CPU I'll assume that your MB won't take PCI-E.

I honestly had no idea that there was a difference until I started talking to a few differnt people about this. I think Im gonna have to do some more research on this. The main reason I wanna upgrade is that I wanna get a video card that I can transfer old camcorder videos on to my pc via composite cables.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #240
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSutterWeTrust
I honestly had no idea that there was a difference until I started talking to a few differnt people about this. I think Im gonna have to do some more research on this. The main reason I wanna upgrade is that I wanna get a video card that I can transfer old camcorder videos on to my pc via composite cables.
I don't even think the card you are looking will do what you want it either. You might want to look at the Ati All-In-Wonder cards. You should be able to pick get one that is AGP and will work with your MoBo.
The X1300 will be wonderful for games, but lacking in the video features. Plus, being PCI-E card, will not work with your current hardware

The all-in-wonder cards are alittle behind the "bleeding edge" ATI cards, but have more functionaily, and should work with your current hardware.
Closed Thread