Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #2341
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I would also like to congratulate UAE on their PL title. Good job outspending the other clubs by insane amounts of money, buying feeder clubs around the world and escaping FFP sanctions. It’s really impressive.
Money wins championships.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:14 PM   #2342
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I’m not bitter about City winning at all. Truth be told, I’d prefer them over a lot of teams if it’s not us. I do like watching them because it’s basically an all star team. It’s not a victim mentality either. It’s just the obvious point that City is effectively owned by a nation-state, and spends an insane amount o
f money. We all know it, and it’s not being a victim to acknowledge that.
Look at Liverpool they spent close to one and a half billion pounds to get their PL title often at the time being the biggest spenders of the season. But that didn't stop them with their wah wah United buying titles and Howard
Webb conspiracies despite them outspending them some seasons.

Value for money they're by far the worst at 1.5bn/title.

Look at United post Fergie. The money they spent under van Gaal and Mourinho and have done basically nothing.

I've said this before but you can throw all the money in the world at a team but you still need a top manager to bring it all together. To manage a bunch of unique individuals, different personalities, cultures, to get them all to buy into the same system, to manage playing time, keep everyone happy etc. To get them all to buy into team success.

Look at Liverpool with Sane and Shoulders. I would say they haven't bought into the team first approach.

For me what was telling looking at the two Amazon documentaries on Spurs and City. Both had fantastic training facilities but the energy in both was remarkably different. City's was fun and business focused on winning.

Look at Pep. He's an intense driven guy focused on details and getting the little things right for preparation and enjoyment. Compare in contrast Mourinho who, it's well documented doesn't focus that much on physical fitness and the serious mood around their changing room. As Kane just revealed this week Mourinho doesn't pay much attention or implement practice of any sort based on the latest sports science.

So yeah, I'll give Pep the respect he deserves and appreciation for what he's created there. Also six titles out of nine seasons in Spain and England is quite the achievement. I could say 9/12 but I don't count the 3/3/ Bayern ones as that's a joke toilet of a league.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:16 PM   #2343
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Money wins championships.
Case in point. Dur de dur....

Just missing the ref conspiracy part.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:56 PM   #2344
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
And there you have it. Case in point. Unable to enjoy the football because they're blinded by a victim mentality.

I would like to congratulate Spurs on their entertainment factor this year. Congrats on your 6-1 victory and good job on finishing above Arsenal. I'm sure they're devastated to miss out on 7th.
The only joy I gained from finishing about arsenal is seeing multiple pics of st totteringhams day signs on twitter that arsenal fans brought to their game.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2021, 11:59 PM   #2345
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only issue I have with City is how their fans deify sheikh Mansour

His name gets chanted at their stadium
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 12:00 AM   #2346
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

JT still covering himself in glory I see

https://twitter.com/user/status/1396031620444983300
Old 05-25-2021, 12:04 AM   #2347
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
The only joy I gained from finishing about arsenal is seeing multiple pics of st totteringhams day signs on twitter that arsenal fans brought to their game.
Yeah. I get it. Of all the scenarios when it would be best to finish below them this was the year.
I don't know the legalities of it with UEFA but the best way to approach this tournament is either register the U23s for it or get to hell out of it asap.
There is zero reward from a long run in it. In fact I would nearly argue the same for the Europa with the exception of CL qualification.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:32 AM   #2348
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
JT still covering himself in glory I see

https://twitter.com/user/status/1396031620444983300
He's such a POS. I hated seeing him and Carragher having a little punditry lovefest. Vile.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #2349
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Look at Liverpool they spent close to one and a half billion pounds to get their PL title often at the time being the biggest spenders of the season. But that didn't stop them with their wah wah United buying titles and Howard
Webb conspiracies despite them outspending them some seasons.

Value for money they're by far the worst at 1.5bn/title.

Look at United post Fergie. The money they spent under van Gaal and Mourinho and have done basically nothing.

I've said this before but you can throw all the money in the world at a team but you still need a top manager to bring it all together. To manage a bunch of unique individuals, different personalities, cultures, to get them all to buy into the same system, to manage playing time, keep everyone happy etc. To get them all to buy into team success.

Look at Liverpool with Sane and Shoulders. I would say they haven't bought into the team first approach.

For me what was telling looking at the two Amazon documentaries on Spurs and City. Both had fantastic training facilities but the energy in both was remarkably different. City's was fun and business focused on winning.

Look at Pep. He's an intense driven guy focused on details and getting the little things right for preparation and enjoyment. Compare in contrast Mourinho who, it's well documented doesn't focus that much on physical fitness and the serious mood around their changing room. As Kane just revealed this week Mourinho doesn't pay much attention or implement practice of any sort based on the latest sports science.

So yeah, I'll give Pep the respect he deserves and appreciation for what he's created there. Also six titles out of nine seasons in Spain and England is quite the achievement. I could say 9/12 but I don't count the 3/3/ Bayern ones as that's a joke toilet of a league.
Haha, yeah that's the only difference between the two clubs? I mean sure, one team spends roughly 100m/season (since 2015) and the other spends about 19m/season (also since 2015) on players. But sure...the difference is attitude in training.

I mean this is as hilarious as when you tried to claim that it comes down to ambition a few years ago. That just means spending money and buying players. It's not that teams like Palace/Wolves/Everton/Southampton are lacking in wanting to win. They can't spend with the other clubs, and the results show that. You can dress it up however you like, but the correlation is obvious; teams that spend the most win the most.

Now, whether Daniel Levy should spend more and make Tottenham a contender is another discussion entirely. To me, they're one of the richest clubs in Europe and the rationale for why they won't spend makes less and less sense. Sure, they were building the stadium, so you kind of have to reel it in a little. Now it's Covid and the associated ramifications, so I don't expect a lot of spending this summer in general, but at some point if Spurs want to compete it comes down to spending.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #2350
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, yeah that's the only difference between the two clubs? I mean sure, one team spends roughly 100m/season (since 2015) and the other spends about 19m/season (also since 2015) on players. But sure...the difference is attitude in training.

I mean this is as hilarious as when you tried to claim that it comes down to ambition a few years ago. That just means spending money and buying players. It's not that teams like Palace/Wolves/Everton/Southampton are lacking in wanting to win. They can't spend with the other clubs, and the results show that. You can dress it up however you like, but the correlation is obvious; teams that spend the most win the most.

Now, whether Daniel Levy should spend more and make Tottenham a contender is another discussion entirely. To me, they're one of the richest clubs in Europe and the rationale for why they won't spend makes less and less sense. Sure, they were building the stadium, so you kind of have to reel it in a little. Now it's Covid and the associated ramifications, so I don't expect a lot of spending this summer in general, but at some point if Spurs want to compete it comes down to spending.
LOL! Oh my! I've been proven right on Spurs lack of ambition coming back to bite them. Your defensive little self should have listened to me then.

I was right wayyyy back when I said that they lacked ambition and they should make a run for a PL title then when all of Utd, City, Chelsea and Liverpool were either struggling or rebuilding. But your defensive little self wouldn't have any of it.

I was right when I said that they would struggle after their CL final when you and others had them down as contenders stating that the fact that their second half of the season mid/bottom table form counted for nothing.

I was right when I stated that the window for them winning a title would only be open for a short time but oh no, you were convinced they were going to be perennial contenders.

Now their lack of ambition is coming back to bite them. Even Kane is publicly stating it. Kane is basically saying.... Bagor was right. There's no ambition. Bagor was right then and I get it now.

It's not that Spurs have declined. It's just that they're settling into their rightful place. A high, mediocre, mid table team that had an opportunity but through lack of ambition and gonads failed to go for it.

How do you figure out that they're one of the richest clubs in Europe? Because of all the clubs in Europe they carry the most debt at well over a billion?

What debate whether Levy should spend more and make them a contender? LOL! There is no debate! Even if he spends now they won't be a contender. It's ....too .....late. The window of opportunity has closed. It's gone. The moment has passed. It's over.

Last edited by Bagor; 05-25-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #2351
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL! Oh my! I've been proven right on Spurs lack of ambition coming back to bite them. Your defensive little self should have listened to me then.

I was right wayyyy back when I said that they lacked ambition and they should make a run for a PL title then when all of Utd, City, Chelsea and Liverpool were either struggling or rebuilding. But your defensive little self wouldn't have any of it.

I was right when I said that they would struggle after their CL final when you and others had them down as contenders stating that the fact that their second half of the season mid/bottom table form counted for nothing.

I was right when I stated that the window for them winning a title would only be open for a short time but oh no, you were convinced they were going to be perennial contenders.

Now their lack of ambition is coming back to bite them. Even Kane is publicly stating it. Kane is basically saying.... Bagor was right. There's no ambition. Bagor was right then and I get it now.

It's not that Spurs have declined. It's just that they're settling into their rightful place. A high, mediocre, mid table team that had an opportunity but through lack of ambition and gonads failed to go for it.

How do you figure out that they're one of the richest clubs in Europe? Because of all the clubs in Europe they carry the most debt at well over a billion?

What debate whether Levy should spend more and make them a contender? LOL! There is no debate! Even if he spends now they won't be a contender. It's ....too .....late. The window of opportunity has closed. It's gone. The moment has passed. It's over.
Yeah, you've really nailed it. I just hope that you have placed some bets and made some money off the prescience?

And why don't you regale us with what we can expect next season, since you've got it all figured out?
Old 05-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #2352
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've already told you.
You'll settle into your rightful place. 6-9th.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:31 PM   #2353
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
He's such a POS. I hated seeing him and Carragher having a little punditry lovefest. Vile.
Yeah. Totally repulsive.

So nice that he'll always be remembered for Moscow.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #2354
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Liverpool have agreed to sign Ibrahima Konate from RB Leipzig on a five-year contract.

The defender passed his medical a few weeks ago and will complete a move to Anfield once he returns from competing at the Under-21 European Championship with France this summer.
https://global.espn.com/football/soc...-euros-sources

Hey! We're buying more Defenders! How many does that make this year?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #2355
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
https://global.espn.com/football/soc...-euros-sources

Hey! We're buying more Defenders! How many does that make this year?
he played a total of 22 league games in the last 2 seasons combined. He'll fit right in with your CB room!
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:27 AM   #2356
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1397831151704756225
Old 05-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #2357
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ So Zidane to PSG and Conte to Madrid I guess? It suddenly feels like Spurs could end up with Poch or Conte here...which sounds a lot better than Potter.

I love Poch and with my heart, I'd be thrilled. With my head though, this seems too early and probably not as great as I would hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #2358
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Levy just tossing #### at the wall to see what sticks now? I like Poch and would be fine with him returning, but Levy's had a completely bizarre 18 months.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #2359
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Is Levy just tossing #### at the wall to see what sticks now? I like Poch and would be fine with him returning, but Levy's had a completely bizarre 18 months.
I think that he realises that he's lost the fans at this point and needs to try to make that up somehow. I'm not saying that we didn't need to move from Poch when we did, but Mourinho proved to be a disaster, and he's got to do something here.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #2360
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that he realises that he's lost the fans at this point and needs to try to make that up somehow. I'm not saying that we didn't need to move from Poch when we did, but Mourinho proved to be a disaster, and he's got to do something here.
Right, but Poch had clearly lost the room. Does an 18 month spell away fix that when many of the same players are still there?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote