Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #2281
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah but he's a defenseman. This team has too many forwards that don't play their best in the big games.
And Brodie also played his best in the playoffs. I cannot see how you continue with Gaudreau, given performance, off-ice, and contract. Honestly, I don't care if he wants to re-sign here - I would not want to give out that contract. I guess he could turn into a fitness/commitment/lifestyle guru, and then we can re-visit.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 10-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #2282
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Ryan has scored at a +30-point pace his last four straight seasons. That's right in the ballpark of 2nd/3rd line production. He is the very definition of a "middle-six forward."

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Look I have no problem with Ryan's regular season production. The Flames in general are a good regular season team. The question management should be asking is, does this player move the needle in the playoffs.

Ryan has 3 points in 15 play off games. If he produced at a regular season pace he would have 5 or 6 points. No room for being sentimental this season. The Flames need to demand excellence in the post season. If Ryan can't get it done find someone who will.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #2283
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It felt like Ryan hardly played in the POs.

Dude was buried. Hard to put up points without opportunity.

But that's just another reason why it would be wise to move him and his cap hit.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #2284
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm stunned that as of today no changes have been made to the core forward group. That's been a clear issue for this team in two straight playoffs. Upgrading the goaltending and adding Tanev whole leaving the forward group intact looks like the plan is to win low scoring games next season.
Let's not forget that this is essentialy the same core forward group that was the 2nd highest scoring team in the NHL just 2 regular season ago.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #2285
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Let's not forget that this is essentialy the same core forward group that was the 2nd highest scoring team in the NHL just 2 regular season ago.
All we need is for everyone to have a career year at the same time once again and even then it led to a first round curb stomping. Going into the year with the same forward core group is damn silly IMO.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #2286
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really hoping that there is change to the core of the forward groups going into next season. BUT if there's not, and they go into the season with the roster largely what it is presently, then I REALLY hope that Ward and the coaching staff is a lot more flexible with their lineups, and willing to shuffle the chairs a fair amount to see what new combinations could work.

Be willing to break up Gaudreau from Monahan permanently on the even strength lineups. Get Gaudreau to play with Tkachuk possibly. Don't be glued to a certain legacy pairing that isn't getting results anymore. Gotta maximize the roster to the fullest potential.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #2287
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post

They are great regular season players I think as fans we all know that.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #2288
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that I think about it I could see a deal around Gaudreau to Nashville for Foresberg. They are both signed for 2 years, Forsberg cap comes at $6M. He is a right shot left wing. He plays a game that translates very well into the playoffs. He also always looks like he is a step away from becoming elite. You do give up offense, as Foresberg will score 65 points a season. I think this trade could really be a win/win for both teams.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #2289
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way I can see Treliving leaving the forward group alone is:

1. He doesn't believe any of the trades being offered are an improvement
2. He believes Bennett, Mangiapane and Dube will take huge steps forward, which would vastly improve the depth and take some pressure off the big 4.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #2290
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The only way I can see Treliving leaving the forward group alone is:

1. He doesn't believe any of the trades being offered are an improvement
2. He believes Bennett, Mangiapane and Dube will take huge steps forward, which would vastly improve the depth and take some pressure off the big 4.
3 he is confident that Pelletier or Phillips will become legit top 6 forwards in the NHL.

More than any other reason I am sure that number 1 is what is on his mind.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #2291
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree with the expectations that this team needs a career year.

If everyone just hits the median point between the last two seasons' worth of production, then this team should be comfortably in the playoffs.

I think the Flames are done for the most part. They need to get Mangiapane signed soon, and Treliving needs to add some cheap depth right now. A 4th line of Rinaldo - Ryan - Robinson is a bit of a downgrade from Jankowski and Reider, no matter how much you like or dislike those players.

Flames' AHL depth for the season (for forwards) is probably limited to (and probably in order) Gawdin, Phillips and Ruzicka. I don't think anyone is pushing out Rinaldo there, but hopefully. I think Treliving needs to sign 2 AHL depth players with NHL experience at least, just to make sure a rash of injuries doesn't suddenly see a bottom two lines of:
Rinaldo - Ryan - Robinson
Ruzicka - Gawdin - Phillips

On defence I think he needs to add another NHL-experienced defender like a Prout even. Mackey and Yelesin are there, but that's 2 or 3 games of NHL experience between them. Tanev does have a reputation for getting hurt in practically every season (including last season where he got hurt on the last game before the shutdown), and injuries happen anyway.

I think with a tandem of Markstrom and Rittich, there will be less pucks in the net. Even looking at Rittich alone, having him not play as often (and having to play through injury last season) will probably be good for him. He will still play regularly though, as he will have to with a condensed schedule. I think his numbers will improve. Defence is younger and more inexperienced, but Calgary has been rolling one of the best defences in the league for a few seasons now with poor results. I am ok with this change, especially since I think the bottom 4 are young and all have upside.

Maybe Treliving has a trade in the works, I don't know. We will see.

What I think is critical is that Ward comes in with a better system. That top line needs to play more on the rush. Don't tell me that "You can't score goals in the playoffs off the rush" - I don't know why this keeps getting repeated, but goals off the rush ALWAYS happen in the playoffs. Yes, things get tighter and more physical, and you get a large amount of 'ugly goals' that go in because players are more willing to attack the net, but you see plenty of goals scored on the rush and a large number of breakaway chances.

I think Ward has the benefit of having been an assistant on this team for a while, then having first-hand head coaching experiencing of this team for a while, but this is his first opportunity to figure out a better system for the team as constructed. That's his job. That top line can't chip and chase effectively or create off the cycle much. Gaudreau was 'super' when he takes the puck in with OPTIONS and finds trailers. Make that adjustment to the top line. Ideally, I think this team could have used a 'Ferland type' if that's the system that they want that top line to play - someone who is quick on the forecheck, great along the boards, has some skill to his game and has a nice shot. Ferland may not have been a 1st liner, but he was effective enough to help keep that line dangerous. The RW'ers on that line moving down a line would have been good too. That's not going to happen (and no, I like Robinson myself, but he shouldn't be on the top line).

I am fine with how the team is. Re-sign Mangiapane, and figure out how much cap you have. The Flames may have to dump Ryan to make enough room to sign depth players - but hopefully not. Barring some trade that Treliving has up his sleeve, or if something interesting presents itself, this is pretty close to the opening night roster, and I am ok with that.

You need the established players to have a 'bounce-back' season and hit the median point of the last 2 seasons - that's not a huge ask. Even somewhere below that is acceptable. You also need the young players to take another step - Mangiapane, Bennett and Dube. That's not a huge ask - that's not expecting them to be 50 point players, just take another step and improve a bit.

I am ok with this. I think they can be comfortably in a playoff spot, especially now with superior goaltending rather than 'I hope it will be average!'.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #2292
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Look I have no problem with Ryan's regular season production. The Flames in general are a good regular season team. The question management should be asking is, does this player move the needle in the playoffs.

Ryan has 3 points in 15 play off games. If he produced at a regular season pace he would have 5 or 6 points. No room for being sentimental this season. The Flames need to demand excellence in the post season. If Ryan can't get it done find someone who will.
I am not advocating for keeping Ryan on the roster; the team has clearly outgrown him in his role. What I am saying is that he is a reasonably valuable trading chip. He can centre the second line on plenty of NHL teams, and is certainly better than just a third-line centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 10-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #2293
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am not advocating for keeping Ryan on the roster; the team has clearly outgrown him in his role. What I am saying is that he is a reasonably valuable trading chip. He can centre the second line on plenty of NHL teams, and is certainly better than just a third-line centre.

Sorry but i don't see Ryan as a fulltime 2nd line center on any team.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #2294
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
What a Richard.

Why is the Johnny's leaving as soon as possible narrative more plausible than he wants to stay narrative? Both are total speculation.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Is it? Like Taylor Hall wanting stability and a chance to win?
Old 10-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #2295
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping with the signing of Robinson, Rinaldo and Froese, that there is a plan to have two of them as mentors/callups in the AHL and the third as a popcorn muncher.

There is an aversion among the fanbase to think of some of the prospects as failed/unworthy if they are not absolute barnburners, but I think that it would be a mistake to bury Gawdin and Phillips.

The three vets are there for insurance, but I want to be pleasantly surprised by the play of the fourth line this year, and not dreading every time they are on the ice.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #2296
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am more than fine with the team as is. I would love to see a vet like Perry added for the 4th line and some PP time. I think there is a lot of value in giving this group another kick at the can. Better goaltending and perhaps Reider's stick not breaking in OT and this team beats Dallas and that is with their top players not being their top players. If Ward can adjust his system to fitting each line with their own way of playing this team is a very good team. Having Markstrom in goal is going to be a major difference maker.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #2297
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

I am fine with how the team is. Re-sign Mangiapane, and figure out how much cap you have. The Flames may have to dump Ryan to make enough room to sign depth players - but hopefully not. Barring some trade that Treliving has up his sleeve, or if something interesting presents itself, this is pretty close to the opening night roster, and I am ok with that.

You need the established players to have a 'bounce-back' season and hit the median point of the last 2 seasons - that's not a huge ask. Even somewhere below that is acceptable. You also need the young players to take another step - Mangiapane, Bennett and Dube. That's not a huge ask - that's not expecting them to be 50 point players, just take another step and improve a bit.

I am ok with this. I think they can be comfortably in a playoff spot, especially now with superior goaltending rather than 'I hope it will be average!'.
If the Flames go with the same group of forwards (i.e. top 3 lines) this is a mistake

Flames core is not built to generate any sort of success within the playoffs.

I like they have added a top notch goalie, however the changes made "so far" are not enough to make them contenders.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #2298
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally I'd love to see some of the LHS forward depth turned into a RHS winger/center. Sprinkle in a Granlund and I think that's a huge improvement with minimal invasive surgery.

I don't think the Flames are done yet but I think Tree is just navigating the waters.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #2299
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It’s only Columbus Day in the US.
All signings to the Blue Jackets today then!
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #2300
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm confused. One UFA tracker site lists RNH as available, but another says he's on the books through this upcoming season.

He expires 2021 right?
RNH is hacking the UFA lists, trying to get out of Edmonton sooner.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread