Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #2281
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/24/xbox...arly-adopters/

Three months after release, Microsoft’s panic price cut is an insult to its most loyal fans. And as an added kick in the jewels they get to see later adopters pick up Titanfall for free.

Critics, analysts, fans, marketers and everyone else with a throwaway opinion had been calling out Microsoft for its overpriced console since it first revealed the price point at E3 last year, but it was still a shock to see the company slash £30 off the machine and throw in a copy of Titanfall to boot.

Clearly, sales of Microsoft’s Xbox One are lagging behind Sony’s PlayStation 4 in the UK. There’s no other way to assess such an immediate and drastic price cut less than three months after release. It’s a panic move from Microsoft.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #2282
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do I go about getting a 360 controller to work?
Old 02-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #2283
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ahh, here comes the Xbone price drops already as some expected (I figured they would wait til after March myself)

Now down to £399.99 in the UK (drop of £30 and includes Titanfall for a limited time) and to be bundled in for $499 in the US with Titanfall. That should help their sales a bit.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/games-t...edition-bundle

http://www.totalxbox.com/71999/xbox-...-of-titanfall/
Looks like I paid the early adopter penalty lol. Microsoft really should have known better seeing how they were the cheaper console last generation and it was probably one of the main reasons it outsold the PS3 in North America.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #2284
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
well wired ones just plug into usb and it works automatically...for the wireless ones you need a dongle. I think memory express has them, or ebay for sure and cheaper.

they are recognized in windows so nothing else to setup, most game are optimized for them too which is nice
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #2285
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I have one of these and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wire...reless+adaptor

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #2286
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks fellas
Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #2287
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might actually jump on one of these Titanfall bundles, I've been waiting for a bit more value before jumping into the generation.

Question for the the Xbox One owners on here, how well does the tv input work right now? Will I have any issues trying to watch TV as I normally would, or do they have it working pretty seamlessly so far?

Honestly one of the biggest draws to Xbox for me is the ability to just seamlessly switch from TV to games to whatever other media applications I might use, but it needs to work well.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 02-24-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #2288
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I might actually jump on one of these Titanfall bundles, I've been waiting for a bit more value before jumping into the generation.

Question for the the Xbox One owners on here, how well does the tv input work right now? Will I have any issues trying to watch TV as I normally would, or do they have it working pretty seamlessly so far?

Honestly one of the biggest draws to Xbox for me is the ability to just seamlessly switch from TV to games to whatever other media applications I might use, but it needs to work well.
It works seamlessly, but the one-guide integration isn't there. It just means that you can't change the channels with the xbox, you still have to use your remote.

Other than that, it's great.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #2289
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to play BF4 on the pc and I get at error on the bottom of the screen that says

Error
Could not communicate with BF4. Please use the Task Manager to close it down.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #2290
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
It works seamlessly, but the one-guide integration isn't there. It just means that you can't change the channels with the xbox, you still have to use your remote.

Other than that, it's great.
Might be a region thing but the common channels such as Nickalodeon, ESPN, NBC, ABC etc can be changed by simply naming the the channel you want to go to. At least it does down here. I've said it before but while you wouldn't think running the TV through would be a big deal I really do like it. I like putting a hockey game up in the corner while playing some Fifa for example. It gets used that way several times a week. My kids love it because they can turn it on and ask it to go to Nick or Disney without fiddling with the remote. I think it's a feature many blow off but find themselves using and enjoying a lot.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #2291
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Might be a region thing but the common channels such as Nickalodeon, ESPN, NBC, ABC etc can be changed by simply naming the the channel you want to go to. At least it does down here. I've said it before but while you wouldn't think running the TV through would be a big deal I really do like it. I like putting a hockey game up in the corner while playing some Fifa for example. It gets used that way several times a week. My kids love it because they can turn it on and ask it to go to Nick or Disney without fiddling with the remote. I think it's a feature many blow off but find themselves using and enjoying a lot.
Stuff like that is exactly the reason I went ahead with my pre-order (titanfall bundle).

Its easy to get lost in all the internet debate and fanatacism, but in the end the Xbox One has features like that I can see myself using every day. I've said in this thread before that with getting older and my gaming time dwindling, I'm looking for more than just a gaming experience frome the console. I'm sure the PS4 is awesome but I wanted to buy a machine I'm going to literally use for everything. All the talk of resoultions and framerates that are making the rounds probably won't affect me much, I guess I honestly just don't care that much. As long as the One can deliver a solid gaming experience with great media features, that's what I want.

I guess I'll see how it works out when I get it, I'm hoping the console ships prior to being able to download the game.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 02-24-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #2292
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft has appointed ex-Nokia CEO Stephen Elop to assume control of MSFT's device and Studios devision, which is responsible of the Surface and Xbox product lines. This seems like a poor move on MSFT's part given his past performance with Nokia where he was responsible for horrible financials and declining brand visibility.

This graph says it all really:

He also got a massive golden parachute for mismanaging the company
http://qz.com/129256/where-nokia-wen...den-parachute/

and also allegedly had plans to sell off Xbox and Bing (two of MSFT's projects that helped them remain relevant in a time when Windows and Office sales are starting to decline) when he was up for consideration as MSFT's replacement CEO for after Ballmer's resignation. Move doesn't bode well for the future of the Xbox division. If the device division gets spun of MSFT proper, they lose the deep pockets of the parent company and a lot of the exclusives that brought market share for the 360.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/50...ng-xbox-rumors
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #2293
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So basically, Nintendo and Microsoft are doomed in the home console market.

Go Sony?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #2294
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
£399.99 is over $660 US dollars...wow those guys are getting ripped off. Consoles are actually cheap here considering our dollar is lower and we still get the US price
We know we are, thanks for reminding us
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #2295
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
We know we are, thanks for reminding us
Well, apparently store are price cutting even lower than the "official" reduced price. I wonder how long it will take for further price cuts after the Titanfall push next month.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/2...tanfall-bundle

GameStop UK is selling the Xbox One Titanfall Bundle Microsoft announced yesterday for £369.97.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #2296
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft is banking so hard on Titanfall, but outside of the hardcore gaming community, no one has heard of it.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #2297
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Microsoft is banking so hard on Titanfall, but outside of the hardcore gaming community, no one has heard of it.
I think that the word is out there and they'll ramp up advertising as the release date gets closer. But I'd imagine most of their sales will come from the 360 anyhow given the size of the install base.

I think there are many good reasons why they've purposely delayed the 360 version and kept it under wraps (no screenshots, no video, nothing). They have to try to sell the Xbone with it.

But really, if people can't tell the difference between 720p and proper full HD - I doubt they could tell the difference between the 360 and Xbone versions anyhow.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #2298
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
they are going to market the #### out of it...the odd thing for me though is they are banking on a multi player only game that is available for two other platforms, and made by another company

Beta on PC was good (not great) and I will likely buy the game but I really wish it had a campaign and more to it. I just see it turning into call of duty with mechs and 13 year olds calling everyone fags
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #2299
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

People may forget that long ago, but Call of Duty 4 didn't sell itself with it's multiplayer mode -- it was the awesome campaign/single player. The multiplayer just happened to be good and addictive and caught on.

Multiplayer games are impossible to predict -- the market dictates what becomes popular and long lasting. There's been piles of 'flash in the pan' multiplayer games that were marketed as the next big thing, and some where the multiplayer was added as an afterthought (Gear of War) and ended up really catching on. A multiplayer only title is a gigantic risk.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #2300
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was disappointed to hear that it was multiplayer only. Probably would have picked it up on sale if it had a full fledged campaign. Personally I am not interested in a multiplayer only games.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote