Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #2281
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ if you decide you are interested in a device such as this I have one in the rafters of my garage that you can have for free.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #2282
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

We road the legacy trail starting out at cascade ponds today. Just at the edge of cascade ponds before going under the trans canada ran into a black bear (brown in colour). He just came out from under the underpass and we got within 10m of him before we saw him. As someone who owns bear spray and has carried it everywhere hiking I felt pretty stupid not having it as I left it at home thinking we were going on well traveled front country paved trails.

The bear continued down the path toward us as we backed away slowly. We dropped our bikes and kept backing away. The bear stopped at the bikes sniffed them letting us get more room between them. Eventually he veered off the trail and went off across the ponds.

So a pretty exciting start to the bike ride.

So even on front country stuff in banff consider bringing bear spray.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #2283
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy! I rode it yesterday, no sine of bears. Did the Loop up to Minewanka for a bit of suffering, too, though the wind also added to it. I never would have thought to need bear spray on that trail, especially on the weekends when there are so many people.

My sister in law went for a run in Canmore. One direction from the house were signs saying "bear in area" the other direction said "Aggressive elk in area". She chose to go in the elk direction...
Old 06-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #2284
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would choose bear over aggressive elk personally.

This bear was pretty calm but definitely startling as it's been over 10 years since I have encountered a bear up close without a car to hide in.

For most of the legacy trail you are on the highway side of the fence. It's only maybe a 1k section from the parking lot to the where you go onto the highway side of the fence.

Last edited by GGG; 06-21-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #2285
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

what's it like riding that legacy trail?it is like riding along a sidewalk on Macleod - the wife wants to ride it and i have no interest as to me it is like riding on the sidewalk along macleod
Old 06-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #2286
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
what's it like riding that legacy trail?it is like riding along a sidewalk on Macleod - the wife wants to ride it and i have no interest as to me it is like riding on the sidewalk along macleod
It's by the highway for the majority but I'd still say it's worth doing.

If you want more separation from the highway try the Bill Milne trail in Kananaskis.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #2287
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most of the ride you barely notice the highway. People bring their kids on it all the time, I think it's great.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #2288
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If anyone goes to east kootenays area the paved trail from cranbrook to Kimberley is a nice ride. Smooth pavement the whole way and a couple of minor up and downs. Best part is stopping for lunch or coffee in the platzl in kimberley before heading back. 25 km each way.
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #2289
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Rider says he doesn't feel safe on cycle track, blames flat tire on bike lane opponent

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-for-flat-tire
Old 06-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #2290
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

$30 or $40 to repair a flat? Larf. I think he's paranoid
Old 06-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #2291
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are there any fines for riding a bike in a car lane, when the cycle track is available? My Facebook is awash in pictures people have taken of bikers riding in car lanes when the cycle track is clearly available.

I support the cycle track but I really hope the city cracks down on people riding their bikes on sidewalks, car lanes, riding through crosswalks, etc. This is only going to further aggravate the divisions between car and bike riders if they block off a lane and the cyclists continue to ride wherever they want how ever they want.

I walk to work but I have nearly been run down a few times this month by cyclists flying through the 4 way cross at the Devon tower on solid red. Made me shake my old man fist I tells ya.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #2292
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Riding in a car lane is not illegal (except on Deerfoot).
Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #2293
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took part in the cycle track party yesterday, riding those lanes was glorious. I'll definitely be taking advantage of it to get into the core and Beltline from now on.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #2294
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Riding in a car lane is not illegal (except on Deerfoot).
I am just curious if riding in a car lane where an available cycle track is. The point of the track is to speed everyone up, so having someone on a bike going 20kms in a car lane is going to slow cars. I am just saying, just like a car cannot drive down the cycle lane, bikes should not be able to ride down the car lane in those areas.

Just burns me when I am walking down the sidewalk and some guy nearly clips me riding his bike, or cooks through a crosswalk because he is playing car/pedestrian where he sees fit.

I think the cycle lane is a good idea but if guys like in the article say forget it I am sticking to the street it won't work. I am thinking it needs to be enforced to use it so everyone can predictably know what the situation will be.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #2295
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I am just curious if riding in a car lane where an available cycle track is.
It is still legal for the bike to use the road.
Quote:
The point of the track is to speed everyone up
No, the point is to provide a safe lane for cyclists. No one has ever said it was to speed things up.

Quote:
I think the cycle lane is a good idea but if guys like in the article say forget it I am sticking to the street it won't work. I am thinking it needs to be enforced to use it so everyone can predictably know what the situation will be.
If a few people decide to stick to the road,s for whatever reason, it doesn't mean the cycle track is failure. You can't ban bikes from the road, as they may need to exit into an alley opposite the track, and find it safer to use the road for a few blocks. Drivers need to accept that cyclists aren't second class road users and if they have to slow down a little bit it isn't going to ruin their lives.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #2296
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I see what OldDutch is saying, and it just comes down to the "Don't be a dick" rule. If you are riding along a road with a bike lane for a good distance, use it and travel in a safer, more predictable manner for everyone.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #2297
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
$30 or $40 to repair a flat? Larf. I think he's paranoid
as a cyclist this guy should learn how to fix his own flats. A flat should only ever cost that much to fix if you need to buy a new tire.

Anywyas, there are all sorts fo sharp stuff out there on the roads waiting to flatten unsuspecting bike tires. PErsonally, i am not ready to start an Ongoing Calgarians Getting Flat Bicycle Tires Thanks to Tacks Placed in the CycleTracks thread just year.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #2298
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A few years ago someone was placing tacks on the canal path by the hundreds. I would not put it past someone to do this to the bike lanes, considering the amount of people here who log on and complain the second they see a cyclist do anything remotely illegal. Some serious hatred for cyclists right now.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #2299
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There was only one section where I felt the traffic was distracting. I had the same concern but really enjoyed it and great with kids.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #2300
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
A few years ago someone was placing tacks on the canal path by the hundreds. I would not put it past someone to do this to the bike lanes, considering the amount of people here who log on and complain the second they see a cyclist do anything remotely illegal. Some serious hatred for cyclists right now.
It happened two years ago to me on the canal path. A couple weeks prior to the flood.

Last edited by KTrain; 06-23-2015 at 11:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread