Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #2261
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but aboriginal concerns are the most vociferous. I think a lot of farmland in the Peace Valley will go underwater, and there was some opposition from local farmers.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #2262
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some farm land will be lost to be sure but it is really a very small amount given that it is in the valley. BC hydro has two large dams just upstream on the Peace so I'm not really sure why this one is causing so much trouble. Times have changed I guess.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #2263
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally agree. The main concern that I heard was that some key archaeological sites may go underwater. Key meaning that some guy may have found stone flakes there once. Anyway, who cares.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #2264
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
John Ivison: Trudeau convinced that pipeline strategy must be top priority

John Ivison | April 11, 2016 6:52 PM ET

Justin Trudeau has told his senior lieutenants to draw up plans to make the Energy East pipeline and the Trans Mountain expansion in British Columbia a reality.

The prime minister has been convinced by his finance minister, Bill Morneau, and other influential voices around the cabinet table that the pipelines have to be built to achieve the ambitious economic growth targets his government has set...

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...e-top-priority

---

This is REALLY good to hear. Let's hope he's successful. That would be really huge for our province and our city.
With the Federal Liberals fully on board with pipeline development as well as the Alberta NDP, it's refreshing to think that left wing policy in Canada is warming up to the oil industry.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #2265
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
With the Federal Liberals fully on board with pipeline development as well as the Alberta NDP, it's refreshing to think that left wing policy in Canada is warming up to the oil industry.
I think they have both realized just how important Oil and Gas has been to the economy and to the tax base.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LanceUppercut For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #2266
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Hydro as a renewable source, but people need to stop ignoring the entire stream.

"Its clean and pure! Energy from Mother Gaia's flowing embrace!"

Its not like a couple of dudees can throw up a HydroElectric Dam over the weekend for a couple of bucks and some twine, it is a massive project that consumes huge amounts of resources and costs a fortune.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #2267
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
I think they have both realized just how important Oil and Gas has been to the economy and to the tax base.
While its great that they are finally realizing it, but the fact they could not see how important it was from the get go tells us a lot about their capability of understanding basic economics.

The conservatives may have not always had popular policies but at least they were grounded in reality and tackled problems with a pragmatic approach.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #2268
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of me thinks that all this delay/consultation/selfie nonsense from Trudeau was some kind of grand Straussian/Machiavellian scheme to slip pipelines into a more receptive public space.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #2269
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Part of me thinks that all this delay/consultation/selfie nonsense from Trudeau was some kind of grand Straussian/Machiavellian scheme to slip pipelines into a more receptive public space.
He also had to wait for the budget to be released to demonstrate he would truly outbid the foreign interest groups who have been funding those who oppose the pipelines
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #2270
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I truly think both him and Notley are just now being educated on business and economics and how it relates to running a province/country.

In the end it's a good thing but pretty sad that we elected these people and have wasted so much time already.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #2271
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Notley and Trudeau have both been MP's since 2008. You'd think something would have been learned beforehand.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #2272
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
That's exactly what it is, and I don't think it's ever been much of a secret. More honey with bees than mosquitos, or whatever the saying is.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #2273
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...er-seen-before
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #2274
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I truly think both him and Notley are just now being educated on business and economics and how it relates to running a province/country.

In the end it's a good thing but pretty sad that we elected these people and have wasted so much time already.
This exactly. You'd think the leader of a country or province would have a fundamental understanding of ecomomics. Would notley make the speech today at the anti pipline ralley she was at four years ago?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #2275
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
This exactly. You'd think the leader of a country or province would have a fundamental understanding of ecomomics. Would notley make the speech today at the anti pipline ralley she was at four years ago?
Yes the leader of the country, not necessarily the leader of the party trying to get into government.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #2276
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Yes the leader of the country, not necessarily the leader of the party trying to get into government.
So he doesn't have to be competent in basic economics before he gets into power because he isn't in power?

Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #2277
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am pointing out that it is par for the course for a politician to make promises that they cannot keep before getting electing. Part of the problem is that they don't have access to the full set of books before getting into power, and the other part of the problem is, well, they are politicians.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #2278
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
While its great that they are finally realizing it, but the fact they could not see how important it was from the get go tells us a lot about their capability of understanding basic economics.

The conservatives may have not always had popular policies but at least they were grounded in reality and tackled problems with a pragmatic approach.
Assuming the lines get built I will side firmly with the person who realized it was important after a time and got something built over the person who was always in favour of it but couldn't get anything built.

Also, I have had the feeling for a while that the Liberals were always on board with pipeline construction but are playing a deeper game to get it built without losing support.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #2279
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
So Alberta recovery is actually never coming....
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #2280
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Assuming the lines get built I will side firmly with the person who realized it was important after a time and got something built over the person who was always in favour of it but couldn't get anything built.

Also, I have had the feeling for a while that the Liberals were always on board with pipeline construction but are playing a deeper game to get it built without losing support.
This is my problems with all politicians and the political game itself. The fact we have to convince the uneducated / irrationally against/ misinformed / apathetic public to proceed with projects that are needed for the common well being society is insanity.

While i can appreciate that public input and discourse is required and a valid tool for any project of significant scope, it should be limited to the individuals that will be effected ie landowners not Activist Annie, Misinformed Mark, Star gazer Sally, or Git'off'my'lawn Jimmy