Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #2261
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Should we mail him a jumbo pack of cocktail napkins to facilitate the process?
Don't forget the Crayons.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #2262
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
https://twitter.com/CBCScott/status/862122369451790338

Jeff Fielding (City Manager) just said this in Council:

"If we don't have an offer sheet in next 6-8 weeks, 'we'll be passing'.

Hopefully King doesn't bring back Jay Feaster to create the offer sheet
Old 05-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #2263
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would assume this is all known by King and Flames for quite some time and they already have plans and financing structure ideas all ready to present. Why drag it out. get it to council ASAP
Old 05-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #2264
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
I would assume this is all known by King and Flames for quite some time and they already have plans and financing structure ideas all ready to present. Why drag it out. get it to council ASAP

Unless, with the point they are at, they would rather try and work this out with a new council and maybe hope Nenshi isn't there next time around??
The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Carnage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #2265
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Seems like a pretty remote hope; the last time an incumbent mayor failed to be elected in Calgary was 1980.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #2266
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Do they have financing plans etc. set up?

All they have said is there will be a ticket tax and they want CRL?
Old 05-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #2267
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
Seems like a pretty remote hope; the last time an incumbent mayor failed to be elected in Calgary was 1980.
Don't disagree, but I guess they are thinking that if Nenshi gets re-elected, then they are only a few months further behind... but if not, they may have other options available to pursue???

And, let's not forget, Nenshi's popularity is supposedly at an all-time low...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ayor-1.4088110

Last edited by Lord Carnage; 05-10-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #2268
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
Don't disagree, but I guess they are thinking that if Nenshi gets re-elected, then they are only a few months further behind... but if not, they may have other options available to pursue???

Nenshi's popularity may be at an all time low, but there is no one credible to oppose him yet. Chabot won't be a threat in my opinion. So, unless a decent candidate shows up, Nenshi will be mayor for the next 4 years.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #2269
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Placing the story in the media - on the eve of Round 1 back in April - that the Flames would consider moving if they don't get their way on the arena - was a bad publicity stunt by King et al. No credibility whatsoever from that side for me on this issue after that move. I suspect an overwhelming majority of Calgarians would agree. Nenshi has played this well, and the Flames have not.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #2270
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
Nenshi's popularity may be at an all time low, but there is no one credible to oppose him yet. Chabot won't be a threat in my opinion. So, unless a decent candidate shows up, Nenshi will be mayor for the next 4 years.
Hypothetically, lets say Nenshi gets replaced.

Do we honestly expect the next possible mayor to be more progressive in getting this done? What's expect from them to be different than Nenshi has been throughout this? Are we anticipating that the city would be willing to offer more money? Will the public be alright with that? It's hard to answer these questions, since we don't even have an official number on how much an arena will cost, let alone how much the city's official stance is on how much they would offer.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #2271
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Placing the story in the media - on the eve of Round 1 back in April - that the Flames would consider moving if they don't get their way on the arena - was a bad publicity stunt by King et al. No credibility whatsoever from that side for me on this issue after that move. I suspect an overwhelming majority of Calgarians would agree. Nenshi has played this well, and the Flames have not.
Thats funny, they effectively ruined the 'feel-good' factor of the playoffs with that threat and then we got swept.

I'd be keeping my head down at the moment if I were them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Old 05-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #2272
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

link to the report:
http://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/arena-survey/

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-11-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #2273
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there a dollar value placed beside the question? Because I support Public Funds for an arena, but only to a point.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #2274
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=sureLoss;6258521]

So 0% of people support arena funding then as any arena development that the city spends money on will affect their taxes.

Last edited by ken0042; 05-11-2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Did you really need to quote a massive post for this reply?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #2275
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So 0% of people support arena funding then as any arena development that the city spends money on will affect their taxes.
Yes, that is exactly what it says
Old 05-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #2276
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Was there a dollar value placed beside the question? Because I support Public Funds for an arena, but only to a point.
Yeah... that's a poor poll.

I'd have done this...

Q: Do you support the City of Calgary purchasing the construction of an arena and event centre for whom the principle tenant will be Calgary Sports and Entertainment, the owner of the Calgary Flames, Stampeders and Roughnecks? Yes, No, Undecided

Q: If yes, what is the minimum percentage of the cost that the city should expect to receive back in revenue?
1: 0-25%
2: 25-50%
3: 50-75%
4: 75-100%
5: More then 100%
Old 05-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #2277
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Not necessarily... taxes could remain the same. We'd just see reduced current services or foregone future ones. I get what you're saying, that there's a cost to everything, but that cost isn't inherently in taxes.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #2278
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Not necessarily... taxes could remain the same. We'd just see reduced current services or foregone future ones. I get what you're saying, that there's a cost to everything, but that cost isn't inherently in taxes.
And if he read it, he'd be wrong. Only 60% said they wouldn't support it if it caused a raise in their taxes, so unless that other 40% are all undecided, he's flat out wrong.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #2279
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Yeah... that's a poor poll.

I'd have done this...

Q: Do you support the City of Calgary purchasing the construction of an arena and event centre for whom the principle tenant will be Calgary Sports and Entertainment, the owner of the Calgary Flames, Stampeders and Roughnecks? Yes, No, Undecided

Q: If yes, what is the minimum percentage of the cost that the city should expect to receive back in revenue?
1: 0-25%
2: 25-50%
3: 50-75%
4: 75-100%
5: More then 100%
Why ask that question when the NHL and all other sports leagues have effectively said no to any agreement approaching revenue sharing
Old 05-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #2280
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just skimmed the report, and all of the questions were basically asking in favor of financial assistance, with zero tradeoffs.

Where are the questions that ask "give a grant and raise your taxes", or "give a grant and reduce the number of cops on the street"?

Basically the report conclusion is that, "Calgarians support the new arena if we can magically create money out of thin air." Frankly, if we lived in that reality, I would support the arena too.

Last edited by Regorium; 05-11-2017 at 04:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread