Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #2261
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Now that I have a better XC understanding, dare I ask for updated road bike recommendations! Probably can only do 1 of the 2 this year, but still like prepping.

I currently ride a hybrid - Dew Plus last couple of years and commute to work just find.

Didn't think I had the need for a road bike, but now get miffed when someone passes me on hills (like Edworthy)...lol...and want something I can at least attempt to "keep up" with. Might also do the Ride for Cancer event in next 2 yrs.

As with XC, I'm not exactly hard core, but something that will last - don't mind paying for quality - again a price range might be $2000-3000 and of course anything less would be welcomed.
(Afterall, after I purchase a road bike and XC bike over next while, I'll be after fat bike recommendations!...lol)
Old 06-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #2262
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are some terrific carbon bikes out there in your price range. I love my Cervelo RS, I think the R2 is today's equivalent, it goes for $2600. Does a little bit of everything well.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #2263
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Thanks for the recommendations. Dropped Rick a note.
Not a rush. Will have in a week or so, and then will be off at site for 10 days after that.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #2264
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
Just my experience but I haven't had a problem with a 4 inch travel bike on anything in the local area including Prairie View, Prospector, Baldy, Razors Edge, Seeya, Toothless, Billy Dog, SHAFT etc. I guess part of it is I started on a hardtail at Moose Mountain and was forced to learn to ride without relying on travel. I would say if you are riding West Bragg Creek travel can actually slow you down and a solid hardtail or short travel bike is better suited for those trails. Anything over 5 inches of travel is overkill for 90% of the trails most people will spend 90% of their time on. I still pull out my hardtail from time to time but for me 4 inches of travel is a happy medium. Too much bouncing around will slow you down on the trails and will make climbing harder than it needs to be on the majority of the trails around here.
Life's not a race. Bigger travel bigger smiles. I too grew up riding a hardtail with a Z2, a 110mm stem and 22" wide bars. Could I navigate Razor's on one? Sure. Would it be as much fun? Absolutely not.

For the 4" travel crowd, what bike would you recommend? Who even makes a 4" travel trail bike these days that isn't geared toward cross country racing? Trek Superfly, Giant Anthem, Specialized Epic... 70° head angles and 100mm stems? Yuck. Talk about a confidence shattering body position!

I wholeheartedly agree that being over suspended can slow you down - if you're pumping corners and working the terrain. But that travel will also make it easier. In my experience most beginner riders will benefit way more from a confidence inspiring bike than they will from a low travel race bike.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the trails here being smooth. The trail networks in Fernie, Golden, Revy, etc. are all way smoother than here. They're all built on a base of decomposing trees and loam - ours are rock. Suspension exist for two main reasons: bailing you out on a massive g-out and smoothing out rough terrain. Letting off the brakes and straight-lining Baldy is as rough as it gets anywhere so may as well have the suspension to let you do it safely.

The funny thing is a year ago I was full on in the camp of "it's an xc bike, it's suppose to be sketchy". Clinging on to my 26" wheels and 120mm bike. Then I got a modern bike and it changed everything. Turns out you can have your cake and eat it too!

Last edited by kevman; 06-18-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #2265
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Life's not a race. Bigger travel bigger smiles. I too grew up riding a hardtail with a Z2, a 110mm stem and 22" wide bars. Could I navigate Razor's on one? Sure. Would it be as much fun? Absolutely not.

For the 4" travel crowd, what bike would you recommend? Who even makes a 4" travel trail bike these days that isn't geared toward cross country racing? Trek Superfly, Giant Anthem, Specialized Epic... 70° head angles and 100mm stems? Yuck. Talk about a confidence shattering body position!

I wholeheartedly agree that being over suspended can slow you down - if you're pumping corners and working the terrain. But that travel will also make it easier. In my experience most beginner riders will benefit way more from a confidence inspiring bike than they will from a low travel race bike.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the trails here being smooth. The trail networks in Fernie, Golden, Revy, etc. are all way smoother than here. They're all built on a base of decomposing trees and loam - ours are rock. Suspension exist for two main reasons: bailing you out on a massive g-out and smoothing out rough terrain. Letting off the brakes and straight-lining Baldy is as rough as it gets anywhere so may as well have the suspension to let you do it safely.

The funny thing is a year ago I was full on in the camp of "it's an xc bike, it's suppose to be sketchy". Clinging on to my 26" wheels and 120mm bike. Then I got a modern bike and it changed everything. Turns out you can have your cake and eat it too!

Yeah, I take my full suspension bike up Razors but 4 inches is plenty for even that trail for my riding style. I don't enter races but I do like to go fast as part of the fun so I guess it is kinda a race. I also do all of the natural drops but don't go off most wooden features. I guess the suspension you prefer is all what you get used to. I also agree that we have some of the steepest and rockiest trails around but they only appeal to maybe 5% of trail users and the other 95% are over at West Bragg Creek or riding city trails. Going fast on technical trails is smile inducing! Dropper post is a must. Don't worry about wheel size as I use all of them including fat and for the most part that doesn't matter much either. Ideally a different bike could be used depending on the trail you are riding that day but for most people the best option is the happy medium.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #2266
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
The only one I can think of is a Morewood Zula with an angleset. Otherwise, most other 100mm slack bikes are for 4X. The most fun bike in the garage is my Banshee 4X. Can't climb with it; frame probably has 4lbs of gussets and a low travel 34mm stanchion fork for a total of 31lbs. The seat tube angle also make it wierd. When you're slightly forward in climbing position, the slack post puts the horn of the saddle right where you don't want it.

I'm gonna guess the 4" travel crowd is younger, with good spines. My back was spasmed badly for a week after my Baldy ordeal.
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #2267
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm 100 years old in mountain bike years
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #2268
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are some good methods for getting my position more upright? I find that I'm bending my back too much on my hybrid and that a lot of weight is on my front bars. My hands and thumbs are sore every ride.

I went to a LBS and they sold me on an angled stem/riser thing for $90! It didn't make much of a difference and I passed the point of returning it. I think that I could use like 3inchs higher on my hands for long distances or I end up riding with my hands so I can give my body a break.

Should I be trying bull horns, new bar, or ?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #2269
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sure you checked already but is your seat too far back?
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #2270
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
There are some terrific carbon bikes out there in your price range. I love my Cervelo RS, I think the R2 is today's equivalent, it goes for $2600. Does a little bit of everything well.
I loved my RS. I just upgraded to a R3 with a Reynolds Assault wheelset.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #2271
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
Ideally a different bike could be used depending on the trail you are riding that day but for most people the best option is the happy medium.
Agreed! And that happy medium, at least according to the industry, is in the 120mm to 140mm "trail bike" range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
The only one I can think of is a Morewood Zula with an angleset.
A relatively boutique brand with an angleset. I've looked around, I can't find a modern trail bike with under 120mm of travel, I'm happy to be proven wrong. Heck it doesn't even look like Norco makes any bike with 100mm of travel any more. The new Stumpjumper FSR, arguably the go to "mountain bike" for the last 25 years, is 150mm next year with stems in the 60mm and 70mm range! The times they are a changing - and it's great!
Old 06-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #2272
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rocky's 29ers are 100mm. Seams the 27.5" go up to 120mm though.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #2273
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long is your stem - something shorter may mean you are not as stretched out - although if you need a riser, you may be hooped.

do you wear padded gloves? are your grips soft or hard? I was going to ask about bar ends, but persumably they would stretch you out even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
What are some good methods for getting my position more upright? I find that I'm bending my back too much on my hybrid and that a lot of weight is on my front bars. My hands and thumbs are sore every ride.

I went to a LBS and they sold me on an angled stem/riser thing for $90! It didn't make much of a difference and I passed the point of returning it. I think that I could use like 3inchs higher on my hands for long distances or I end up riding with my hands so I can give my body a break.

Should I be trying bull horns, new bar, or ?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #2274
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
How long is your stem - something shorter may mean you are not as stretched out - although if you need a riser, you may be hooped.

do you wear padded gloves? are your grips soft or hard? I was going to ask about bar ends, but persumably they would stretch you out even more.
Medium grip softness, I do wear mountain bike gloves.

When I'm riding and I put myself in my ideal position, I see that my hands are floating about 3-4inchs directly above my grips. Maybe a new handle bar that comes up exaggeratedly higher? Like a bmx would.

I ride a Scott Sportster 10 in Medium, as a 5'9 rider with slightly shorter than average legs (30in inseam on pants). It would have been great to fit it better off the bat, but I will need to tinker a bit.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #2275
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that would be some kind of handle bar.MIGHT BE WORTH GOING FOR A BIKE FITTING. I BELIVE THAT IT MIGHT RUN AROUND $150

sorry for the caps - I am not yelling
Old 06-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #2276
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think you're right Northendzone - cyclepath on MacLeod has a setup there for bike fittings. I think however it's $150 if you buy a bike there.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #2277
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a very newbie question, apologies if it was answered earlier, I didn't wade through all of the pages.

I've become more interested in buying a bike since the bike lanes were developed (I live in Beltline, the 12th Ave one runs very close to my place), but the only thing that is stopping me from commuting to work via bike is that I need to bring my daughter into and home from her daycare downtown. The bike cage at my work can't hold a chariot, nor would it be feasible to store in our condo. does anyone know if there are any on-bike seats that are okay for toddlers? She's 3 1/2, just shy of 30 lbs. Are there some bikes that these seats work on and not others?

I'd likely be wanting to buy a city bike, but not a cruiser - I want it to be fairly lightweight. I used to own a Marin Bolinas Ridge 18 speed until it got stolen about six years ago - I loved that bike, and would love something similar to it again. I bought it 15 years ago, so I can only imagine what kind of improvements have been made to bikes since then.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #2278
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My kid is the same size. I've used the Bellelli handlebar-mount seat (off shop.ca/aeroplan site). Used it twice before I decided it was too dangerous. It raises your center of gravity too high. If you crash, it's an instant head injury to the kid because they are strapped in at the highest point on the bike with no way to raise their arms to protect themselves.

Now, I use the Weehoo trailer. It's not quite as bulky as a chariot, but it's still an extra half-bike that you have to find storage for. So much lower to the ground that, in the event of a crash, i think the risks are lower. I have a dedicated bike for towing, swapped out all the QR connetors to permanent star-drive bolts so I generally just park it anywhere as I would a normal bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #2279
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cycle Track launch party today as a part of Sled Island. Come on down and say hi.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #2280
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5036-576/m...10+50002+50057

I have one of these. We started using it at around 3.5 but it really depends on how comfortable she is on a bike. But now that she is 4.5 it goes everywhere including easy single track. With cycle track I would do it but not not sure if I would do it in traffic.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread