Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2023, 11:08 AM   #2241
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Tough to watch that.
Interesting that body cam footage was immediately available. I wonder why it isnt always like that?
My guess is there is a lot more pressure to release body cam footage after all the blowback following the Uvalde response.

And yes, as others have said, they are likely only to release the stuff that doesn't get them in trouble. To be fair, if there'd been an incident, like unlawful discharge of a weapon or allegations of brutality, the police likely wouldn't be allowed to release footage until after the investigation process.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:10 AM   #2242
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I don't know how those guys keep their cool. That was really impressive, they no doubt saved lives.
They kept crossing over each other's line of fire. I was impressed that they were able to keep track of each other, and avoid friendly fire.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #2243
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I don't know how those guys keep their cool. That was really impressive, they no doubt saved lives.
they clearly train constantly on building clearance techniques, it did show graphically how slow the process has to be, every room has some blind corner, bathroom or cupboard that all have to be checked as if there is a shooter inside, everyone has to come and check it together, a school must be a nightmare scenario for cops, a large difficult building for of nooks and hiding places but also full of the most vulnerable victims that a cop would be desperate to get to quickly
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:20 AM   #2244
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Americans don't care. After Sandy Hook you know they will never change.
Effing 3rd world country down there.
I'm sure plenty of 3rd world countries have better gun laws than the US. The leading cause of death for all children and adolescents in the United States is now from gun violence, they just put a significantly lower value on human life than most countries do
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:23 AM   #2245
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
they clearly train constantly on building clearance techniques, it did show graphically how slow the process has to be, every room has some blind corner, bathroom or cupboard that all have to be checked as if there is a shooter inside, everyone has to come and check it together, a school must be a nightmare scenario for cops, a large difficult building for of nooks and hiding places but also full of the most vulnerable victims that a cop would be desperate to get to quickly
They also have to consider that even though the school is supposed to be evacuated, there could be scared kids hiding in places, so you have to resist shooting before your brain can process things.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:27 PM   #2246
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure why they release body cam footage... the last thing America or anyone needs is more desensitization to violence... The fact that it seems very video-game like is also cause for concern.

Even with the faces blurred you see a victim in the hallway they step over... this shouldn't be shown in respect to the victims and their families... Releasing the footage does more harm than good IMO... A child seeing this could be very traumatic for them, it's traumatic for adults. Where does it end? the line keeps being pushed it seems.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:35 PM   #2247
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

After yesterday where a video of a man being murdered in Canada came out, I really question why we need to see stuff like this. It feels a bit goulish.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:58 PM   #2248
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Not sure why they release body cam footage... the last thing America or anyone needs is more desensitization to violence... The fact that it seems very video-game like is also cause for concern.

Even with the faces blurred you see a victim in the hallway they step over... this shouldn't be shown in respect to the victims and their families... Releasing the footage does more harm than good IMO... A child seeing this could be very traumatic for them, it's traumatic for adults. Where does it end? the line keeps being pushed it seems.
Plus, it gives intel to future shooters as to the tactics of the police. Which they'd likely uncover anyway if they really wanted that information.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 02:08 PM   #2249
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perspective. saw this somewhere

Q - What would congress do if there was a new jumbo jet crashed every day in America?
A - In 3-4 days all flights on using that jet most certainly would be grounded

Every single day more people die from guns than a plane crash every day for many years now.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:17 PM   #2250
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Perspective. saw this somewhere

Q - What would congress do if there was a new jumbo jet crashed every day in America?
A - In 3-4 days all flights on using that jet most certainly would be grounded

Every single day more people die from guns than a plane crash every day for many years now.
umm the American solution would be to allow more guns onto jumbo jets..
Old 03-28-2023, 03:24 PM   #2251
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

No the solution would be to ease aircraft maintenance requirements and Rs would blame Biden.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:04 PM   #2252
Dunnyberg
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm sure plenty of 3rd world countries have better gun laws than the US. The leading cause of death for all children and adolescents in the United States is now from gun violence, they just put a significantly lower value on human life than most countries do
Very misleading stat.
It's not gun violence, it's guns period. This includes suicides.
The US suicide rate has historically been lower than Canada's until recently.
And most of the gun violence is inner-city, which won't be solved with gun control.

I honestly don't think guns are the problem, we are seeing a break down in society due to various factors.
If you ban guns you'll get van attacks like the one in Montreal in February.

Compare Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire to the Maritime provinces.
Very high household gun ownership, almost 50%.
But which side of the border has there been mass shootings?
Same with the Dakotas and Sask.
Dunnyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:39 PM   #2253
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Footage of the metro police going into the school and taking the shooter out. Very tough to watch but also extremely impressive how surgical the police are. Almost as if they've been training for this the past 10+ years.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1640723505518985224
That Was awesome police work.

Last edited by metallicat; 03-28-2023 at 05:03 PM.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:35 PM   #2254
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnyberg View Post
Very misleading stat.
It's not gun violence, it's guns period. This includes suicides.
The US suicide rate has historically been lower than Canada's until recently.
And most of the gun violence is inner-city, which won't be solved with gun control.

I honestly don't think guns are the problem, we are seeing a break down in society due to various factors.
If you ban guns you'll get van attacks like the one in Montreal in February.

Compare Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire to the Maritime provinces.
Very high household gun ownership, almost 50%.
But which side of the border has there been mass shootings?
Same with the Dakotas and Sask.
Two points, the vast majority of gun violence is not inner city, the vast majority of gun violence is in the rural south, Texas, Alabama etc, Illinois which is what you are hinting at barely makes the top 20, the reality is that 'normal law abiding gun owners(white folks)' are the ones that randomly get drunk or fired or divorce or just plain snap and kill people, criminals, even the dumbest gang banging 14 year old aren't really wanting to get into gun battles, they are trying to sell drugs, the violence is an offshoot of the trade and as such they will do what they can to minimise it unlike your drunken angry divorced middle aged white guy, he wants to kill someone, that's his whole aim.

Second point, if you take away legal guns it also takes away illegal guns, gang members aren't making Glocks in their garage, the source of all illegal guns in the US and Canada is from legal gun owners in the US, they get stolen in burglaries or more commonly just sold by the 'legal' owner to anyone that want's it, you can charge an extra 50 bucks selling your gun on the black market than selling it legally and its quicker, if you ban legal guns then you eventually remove all of them
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:54 PM   #2255
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
That Was awesome police work.
14 mins from when the attack started to when the perpetrator was killed by police.

Wow. I agree, crazy impressive. Also interesting to watch how well they work as a team to very quickly clear areas.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:52 PM   #2256
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Also interesting to watch how well they work as a team to very quickly clear areas.
This is why you have a plan and practice it BEFORE you need it. The time to dust off and read the Emergency Plan is NOT when you need to be doing it from automatic memory.

That's why I like how CPS handles this. Not only do they practice this, they do it at the very schools themselves so they are familiar with the schools as something more than a floorplan on the hood of their patrol cruiser.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:01 PM   #2257
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Guns aren't the problem guys.

Did you know Drag Queens kill ~110 people per day in the US?
That's over 40,000 deaths per year caused by Drag Queens.
In fact Drag Queens are the number one cause of death for children 19 and under.

Why is everyone so concerned with guns, when clearly the issue that needs to be looked at is Drag Queens.
I never knew that Drag Queens killed more people annually than Sharks, Cows and Vending Machines combined!

This dragging of queens business is a menace!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:08 PM   #2258
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to go out there and say....'Rex Engelbert' is the unlikeliest name for a badass mofo.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:18 PM   #2259
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I never knew that Drag Queens killed more people annually than Sharks, Cows and Vending Machines combined!

This dragging of queens business is a menace!

They do slay all day.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2023, 01:24 PM   #2260
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Second point, if you take away legal guns it also takes away illegal guns
Has this actually worked for anything that criminal enterprise can profit off of? There’s like, a hundred years of recent history that indicates otherwise.