Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #2221
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apple iPad 2 event next week?

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/22/...for-march-2nd/

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #2222
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
DOh! Good thing I have 14 days to return this to best buy with no questions asked!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #2223
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
DOh! Good thing I have 14 days to return this to best buy with no questions asked!
Even if there is an event it could end up being a "iPad 2 releases April 1, here's what it'll have". I would definitely consider trading it in for store credit and just go a month or two without an iPad and grab the updated version.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #2224
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Even if there is an event it could end up being a "iPad 2 releases April 1, here's what it'll have". I would definitely consider trading it in for store credit and just go a month or two without an iPad and grab the updated version.
Dont worry I will ... HAHA I went to upgrade my wife's to a newer iPhone here at AT&T last night . She still had 30 days until she could get one so they couldnt do it . I said what if I buy an iPad here instead of across the parking lot at best buy , since I was headed there after here anyway. Well it worked and they upgraded my wife's phone for me. Then they were out of 3G iPads so I had to go to Best Buy anyway. At least the guy was a good sport about it , like he said " It's not your fault we dont have any in stock. "
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #2225
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Dont worry I will ... HAHA I went to upgrade my wife's to a newer iPhone here at AT&T last night . She still had 30 days until she could get one so they couldnt do it . I said what if I buy an iPad here instead of across the parking lot at best buy , since I was headed there after here anyway. Well it worked and they upgraded my wife's phone for me. Then they were out of 3G iPads so I had to go to Best Buy anyway. At least the guy was a good sport about it , like he said " It's not your fault we dont have any in stock. "
haha that's awesome. Sounds like a good guy ... he was probably just waiting for the threat so he could unleash the deal. I've run into certain customer service agents that have guided me before into saying something like that (eg. "I can't do anything about your data fee sir ... maybe if you had a problem elsewhere in your bill but surely not your data").
Old 02-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #2226
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding the in-app purchase rule changes I think the Kindle app will be the one to watch. I don't think Amazon will be happy about giving Apple a 30% cut just to save the customers a couple clicks/taps. And I don't think Apple will cut them out of the store as they are the best way to get books on your iPad.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #2227
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Regarding the in-app purchase rule changes I think the Kindle app will be the one to watch. I don't think Amazon will be happy about giving Apple a 30% cut just to save the customers a couple clicks/taps. And I don't think Apple will cut them out of the store as they are the best way to get books on your iPad.
I would laugh large if Kindle aligned with a group of other application developers to completely pull out of official iOS channels and release only via cydia. Sure it's a pain in the ass for the consumers, but it's standing up to the bully that Apple is being right now.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #2228
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
but it's standing up to the bully that Apple is being right now.
It's not really new . . .
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #2229
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
I would laugh large if Kindle aligned with a group of other application developers to completely pull out of official iOS channels and release only via cydia. Sure it's a pain in the ass for the consumers, but it's standing up to the bully that Apple is being right now.
Unless Apple gives Amazon a pass on this one (and my thinking is they won't) I don't see how the Kindle will keep going in the app store. The profits Amazon would be giving up would be massive ... just think of the revenue apple would gain from the Kindle app alone. Sure they'd probably sell more product since it'll be that much easier to obtain, but 30% more? Kinda doubt it.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #2230
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

New iPad March 2.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/23/...neration-ipad/
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #2231
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I'm going to add that I figure we might see iOS 5 previewed at that event as well.

iOS3 announced/previewed March 17, 2009
iOS4 announced/previewed April 8, 2010

I highly doubt we'd see another Apple event in a months time, or really between now and WWDC in June when iPhone 5 would likely be previewed.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #2232
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

On tap:

- MacBook refresh
- iMac refresh (rumoured)
- OS X Lion stuffs
- Something about a weird tablet-like device. I don't know though, I don't think there's going to be much of a market for it.

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-23-2011 at 10:39 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #2233
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Unless Apple gives Amazon a pass on this one (and my thinking is they won't) I don't see how the Kindle will keep going in the app store. The profits Amazon would be giving up would be massive ... just think of the revenue apple would gain from the Kindle app alone. Sure they'd probably sell more product since it'll be that much easier to obtain, but 30% more? Kinda doubt it.
I am going to make a prediction that this 30% won't effect the Kindle app. Either Kindle will get a pass, the policy will change or get scrapped.

I just can't see Amazon allowing a 30% cut with their books sales. I can't see Apple kicking them out of the store either. The iPad would be a terrible e-reader without the Kindle app. iBooks selection is just completely inadequate. The only thing that could allow Apple to take their 30% is Amazon raising their prices 30% which would raise all e-book prices and make e-books more expensive than physical books. I don't think making a kindle book slightly easier to buy would raise sales by 30%. Books aren't purchased on impulse the same way a $.99 app is. It's something that someone will be using for several hours at the minimum and is purposefully sought out to buy.

If this results in higher e-books prices I would be furious at Apple, but I don't think that will happen. I am guessing Apple will back down, or as they will say it, "clarify their policy".
Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #2234
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Amazon has (or will have) their own app store for Android, so I guess it's not totally out of the realm of possibilities, but it wouldn't happen.

But for this and many other reasons I am glad I am using a Kindle instead of an iPad for e-books.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #2235
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

On tap:

- MacBook refresh
- iMac refresh (rumoured)
- OS X Lion stuffs
- Something about a weird tablet-like device. I don't know though, I don't think there's going to be much of a market for it.
What, that looks just like the old iPad with a big "2" sticker stuck on the front!

That can't be it!
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #2236
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I don't see a usb on that iPad. Nobody will want it.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #2237
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

I'm insane. I'm considering buying the new one. Even though I have the old (new) one.

I have a problem.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #2238
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
I'm insane. I'm considering buying the new one. Even though I have the old (new) one.

I have a problem.
Yeah, put me in the insanity club too. Since I got my ipad, my laptop is basically a paperweight now. It is the perfect form factor imho for surfing. The only complaint I have is the processor speed, it just seems a little too slow. Couldnt care less about cameras on it. I honestly think the thing is the perfect form factor for everyday internet browsing. If it goes dual core, and the battery life stays the same, I will buy the new one for sure.

The thing is awesome for work as well. Toting it into a meeting is awesome, and way less obtrusive than a laptop for taking notes, and recording the meeting. And for presenting and emailing brochures in pdf form, it is awesome as well. We have our entire staff going to iPads now. All of the guys will replace all of their brochure catalogues, price lists, and customer lists to them, and use them interactively with customers. All because I showed up 3 months ago with mine, and started using it to quote payments and warrnties pricing to customers.

Another bonus, when I am working with a client do a credit application, and their kids get restless, I just slide it over to junior, open up whiteboard, and hand them the stylus. They just shut up and draw as long as you will let them, and then I email the drawing to their parents after....lol.

Just an awesome device. Even though the thg existed in concept long before apple put it out, they absolutely polished the thing beyond belief, and made the interface so idiot proof, a monkey could use it. On the flip side, if you are willing to put some time and effort into learning some of the more obscure functions, and invest in the right apps, it can be a very powerful business tool.

End fanboi rant.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #2239
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if there will be a price a drop on the current models after the March 2nd meeting.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #2240
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Yeah, put me in the insanity club too. Since I got my ipad, my laptop is basically a paperweight now. It is the perfect form factor imho for surfing. The only complaint I have is the processor speed, it just seems a little too slow. Couldnt care less about cameras on it. I honestly think the thing is the perfect form factor for everyday internet browsing. If it goes dual core, and the battery life stays the same, I will buy the new one for sure.

The thing is awesome for work as well. Toting it into a meeting is awesome, and way less obtrusive than a laptop for taking notes, and recording the meeting. And for presenting and emailing brochures in pdf form, it is awesome as well. We have our entire staff going to iPads now. All of the guys will replace all of their brochure catalogues, price lists, and customer lists to them, and use them interactively with customers. All because I showed up 3 months ago with mine, and started using it to quote payments and warrnties pricing to customers.

Another bonus, when I am working with a client do a credit application, and their kids get restless, I just slide it over to junior, open up whiteboard, and hand them the stylus. They just shut up and draw as long as you will let them, and then I email the drawing to their parents after....lol.

Just an awesome device. Even though the thg existed in concept long before apple put it out, they absolutely polished the thing beyond belief, and made the interface so idiot proof, a monkey could use it. On the flip side, if you are willing to put some time and effort into learning some of the more obscure functions, and invest in the right apps, it can be a very powerful business tool.

End fanboi rant.
Sneaky son of a *****! That's a good sales tactic right there.