Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2023, 12:33 PM   #2221
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Dooku's description of seeing Obi-wan and Anakin and Palpatine in the force was awesome

Obi-wan was a sunny meadow. Anakin was a storm cloud. Palpatine an event horizon looking in windows and testing locks to get in.

Even just the opening chapter where they describe the battle over Coruscant from the view of the citizens was awesome.

And the end when Stover describes what its like to be Anakin Skywalker forever, was really well done.

Quote:
his is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker, forever:
The first dawn of light in your universe brings pain.
The light burns you. It will always burn you. Part of you will always lie upon black glass sand beside a lake of fire while flames chew at your flesh.
You can hear yourself breathing. It comes hard, and harsh, and it scrapes nerves already raw, but you cannot stop it. You can never stop it. You cannot even slow it down.
You don’t even have lungs anymore.
Mechanisms hardwired into your chest breathe for you. They will pump oxygen into your bloodstream forever.
Lord Vader? Lord Vader, can you hear me?
And you can’t, not in the way you once did. Sensors in the shell that prisons your head trickle meaning directly into your brain.
You open your scorched-pale eyes; optical sensors integrate light and shadow into a hideous simulacrum of the world around you.
Or perhaps the simulacrum is perfect, and it is the world that is hideous.
Padme? Are you here? Are you all right? you try to say, but another voice speaks for you, out from the vocabulator that serves you for burned-away lips and tongue and throat.
Padme? Are you here? Are you all right?
I’m very sorry, Lord Vader. I’m afraid she died. It seems in your anger, you killed her.
This burns hotter than the lava had.
No…no, it is not possible!
You love her. You have always loved her. You could never will her death.
Never.
But you remember…

You remember all of it.
You remember the dragon that you brought Vader forth from your heart to slay. You remember the cold venom in Vader’s blood. You remember the furnace of Vader’s fury, and the black hatred of seizing her throat to silence her lying mouth…
And there is one blazing moment in which you finally understand that there was no dragon. That there was no Vader. That there was only you. Only Anakin Skywalker.
That it was all you. Is you.
Only you.
You did it.
You killed her.
You killed her because, finally, when you could have saved her, when you could have gone away with her, when you could have been thinking about her, you were thinking about yourself…
It is in this blazing moment that you finally understand the trap of the dark side, the final cruelty of the Sith —
Because now yourself is all you will ever have.
And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less now than what you were. You are more than half machine, you are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow.
In the end, you do not even want to.
In the end, the shadow is all you have left.
Because the shadow understands you, the shadow forgives you, the shadow gathers you unto itself-
And within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame.
This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.
Forever…

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 09:22 PM   #2222
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I know I'm way late to the boat, but I just stumbled upon the concept art for Colin Trevorrow's episode 9 script, and holy hell does it look so much better than what we got. There's still no fixing the mess that was The Last Jedi, but if Duel of The Fates was allowed to be made then maybe the aftertaste from the new trilogy wouldn't have been so bad

https://imgur.com/a/lX9JG8F

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020...the-fates.html
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 01:13 PM   #2223
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I know I'm way late to the boat, but I just stumbled upon the concept art for Colin Trevorrow's episode 9 script, and holy hell does it look so much better than what we got. There's still no fixing the mess that was The Last Jedi, but if Duel of The Fates was allowed to be made then maybe the aftertaste from the new trilogy wouldn't have been so bad

https://imgur.com/a/lX9JG8F

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020...the-fates.html
I liked all of those art concepts, except for the one about
Spoiler!

I wish we got this film instead though, for sure.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #2224
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I liked all of those art concepts, except for the one about
Spoiler!

I wish we got this film instead though, for sure.
If the Star Wars Universe had any sense they'd put all of their petty differences behind them and make R2 their Emperor.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2023, 08:57 AM   #2225
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The Redemption of Jar Jar Binks was pretty entertaining.

6 40-ish minute podcasts that go through the origins of the character, the crazy backlash to it, and the affects it had on Ahmed Best, the actor that played him.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:51 AM   #2226
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just read my first new Star Wars novel in a couple of years. After Disney purged the EU I tried to read the new novels, and found them mixed. The Thrawn books that I read were ok. Aftermath trilogy I thought was terrible.

But I've always been interested in all things dark side so I picked up Sith Inquisitor Rise of the Red Blade.

I did enjoy it. It follows Jedi Padawan Iskat Akira who is a Jedi that is not trusted by the Jedi due to an incident in her youth, she's maligned by her fellow Padawans and her Master is cold and aloof. When the Clone Wars comes along, she's promoted to Jedi Knight and sent on a first mission that is deemed a disaster.

She's basically banished to the Jedi Temple for two years as the Jedi fight and die in the Clone Wars. She feels repressed and has no freedom.

She finally gets another mission with another Jedi Knight who maligns her when Order 66 happens, and she's given a choice. Be free, free to explore her past. Free to do as she wants. Free to punish the Jedi who marginalized her while they betrayed the Republic, Free to stay alive.

She joins the Inquisitors and given permission to explore all sides of the Force, to have possessions, to search for her past. To kill. And she does. She even gets a chance to get revenge on the Jedi that treated her so badly.

The ending is a surprise, not surprise, but I'm not going to spoil it.

Delilah Dawson the writer does a decent job of getting into the main characters head. She does a good job of making the Inquisitorous out to be a twisted version of the Jedi temple where the Inquisitors are constantly trying to injure or kill each other, how they steal credit, and how again the main character is marginalized and forced to scrabble for approval from Vader and the Grand Inquisitor.

If I have a complaint. The book seems rushed, almost like the writer had a ink budget. There were areas that came to unsatisfying conclusions, like her search for her mother that ends up fueling her rage. The time between the last chapter and the epilogue and the relationship with Vader would have been nice to see some fleshing out.

Its not a bad book, its written well, and you can understand the choices that the main character made, especially when she willingly joins the Inquisitors. Its interesting that most of the initial inquisitors were willing joiners, and most were former Jedi Knights and Padawan's. Eventually we meet Inquisitors who were "Convinced" to join.

We also get hints of future storylines like we saw in Rebels and Obiwan.

Its a solid 6/10 book.

Old 08-09-2023, 11:00 AM   #2227
BigT112
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ya I recently read that book too. Found it to be more of a mixed back than you I think and eventually rated it 2/5 on Goodreads. I felt it was rushed as well. Was shocked at how many pages are ultimately devoted to the Clone Wars and how long it was before the character became an Inquisitor.

I am pretty tired of Order 66 stories at this point but that seems to be what Disney wants to push on us. I know a lot of Jedi survived in the EU, but it seems like every other Jedi survived in the new canon and I honestly feel is weakens the effect of Order 66. I know Disney needs enemies for the Empire, but invent new ones and let the Jedi die. Good thing there are plenty of "Legends" novels I haven't read yet.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:57 PM   #2228
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Skyguy and Snips, together again.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:08 PM   #2229
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
1. I hate you so much.

2. I cant believe Ray Stevenson is dead. Its so weird seeing him in trailers for shows that havent even come out yet knowing that he's dead.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 01:06 PM   #2230
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-14-2023, 07:30 PM   #2231
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Ahsoka is just a really good series and story without any jarring or distracting KK stuff shoehorned in.

Just be awesome, that is all.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:01 AM   #2232
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Next week cannot come any faster... ugh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2023, 03:59 PM   #2233
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Can't wait for the two-episode premiere next week

That Anakin teaser video was super unexpected but just got me more hyped for the show. Can't wait to see whether it's a force ghost, flashback, or world between worlds version of Anakin but at this point I'll gladly take any of them.

Please just be a good show that actually moves the franchise forward. The fans need something to be excited about, I just want a great show that sets up Dave Filoni's upcoming Star Wars film in a big way.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:29 PM   #2234
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Releasing this is just unfair.
Old 08-16-2023, 09:49 PM   #2235
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have a great deal of respect for Hayden. At the end of ROTS, he was pretty maligned and the toxic side of the Star Wars fandom went full force on him as it did with a lot of others.

But the video of him and Ewan reuniting and then this and he talks about how much he loves playing Anakin makes his return very cool.

I would love to see how Ashoka views Anakin now after his fall and his redemption. I've said there needs to be a flashback scene of Luke telling her that Anakin had returned to the man that she remembers and seeing her response to that.

How does she square away her declaration. "I won't leave you, not this time".

Even though Ashley will forever be the voice of Ashoka to me, and the Clone and Rebels Ashoka is my prime Ashoka, I look forward to seeing the live interpretation in a full series.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:16 PM   #2236
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think they've nailed Ahsoka's live action 'look'. Now we just need a good story.. but with Dave at the helm I am pretty confident we won't be disappointed.
Old 08-18-2023, 06:58 PM   #2237
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

Today, Disney announced the episodes will be releasing every Tuesday at 7:00pm MT rather than the Disney+ usual 1:00am MT.

Old 08-18-2023, 08:39 PM   #2238
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you.

It was stupid needing to stay up until the early hours of the morning on a week night to avoid next day spoilers.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:33 AM   #2239
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

WOOO. I'm so hyped.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:45 AM   #2240
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today's the day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post: