Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2022, 11:08 PM   #2201
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well that's a solid ending to Dexter and a just reward for fans who stuck with the original series until the dismal end. The execution wasn't perfect, but the final result was good and didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth like lumberjack Dexter did. It just sucks that for anyone who hasn't seen the series or if you wanted to do a rewatch, there's no way to avoid those terrible last few seasons. So many plot elements of the final season play huge importance in New Blood, I kinda wish they had found a way to retcon or ignore everything after season 4 so you could have a solid 5 seasons to watch without wanting to shut it off
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2022, 11:31 PM   #2202
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Season 5 with lumen and the wake of Rita was not a Total write off.

It was decent enough.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:53 PM   #2203
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The pacing of the finale didn't hurt it I don't think.

A lot of it was a sort of reflective pause for Dexter as well as the fans on all the things he's done and the rightful consequences that one day were bound to rear their head.

The progressive degradation of his initially composed demeanor into doubt then desperation also made sense.

He's always been about self-preservation and was hyper focused on starting that new life with Harrison he thought was waiting for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 07:14 AM   #2204
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well that's a solid ending to Dexter and a just reward for fans who stuck with the original series until the dismal end. The execution wasn't perfect, but the final result was good and didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth like lumberjack Dexter did. It just sucks that for anyone who hasn't seen the series or if you wanted to do a rewatch, there's no way to avoid those terrible last few seasons. So many plot elements of the final season play huge importance in New Blood, I kinda wish they had found a way to retcon or ignore everything after season 4 so you could have a solid 5 seasons to watch without wanting to shut it off
Watching seasons 1-4 and then the season 8 finale with the recaps to start the episode might work ok.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:55 PM   #2205
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that completely sucked. would rather leave it at the lumberjack ending than tease us, that just left me wanting more. Would have liked a couple more seasons, if harrison really has the dark passenger he would understand the "Don't get caught" rule of the code.

I prefer the earlier seasons that were a bit more dark.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames_Gimp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #2206
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
I thought that completely sucked. would rather leave it at the lumberjack ending than tease us, that just left me wanting more. Would have liked a couple more seasons, if harrison really has the dark passenger he would understand the "Don't get caught" rule of the code.

I prefer the earlier seasons that were a bit more dark.
This was pretty dark.

In the earlier seasons Dex had more of a sense of humour about what he did and things hadn't completely gone to #### around him yet.

Leaving you wanting more is exactly how a show should end. In season 8 people just wanted it put out of its misery.. but in a significantly better way.

I think this was the best performing season of anything showtime has had in a while. Given that, we'll probably get a Harrison spin off with Dexter apparitions. I just don't know how well that would work, given people watched for Dexter's charisma and while Alcott was a great actor pick, I don't know if he could carry a show himself. And you can't have Dexter making commentary about absolutely everything he does to help him carry it.

Would need a really good supporting cast and premise, in whatever location he ends up in.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 08:11 PM   #2207
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished the latest season. I hated the first episode, like wife and I were willing to forget watching anything further. Gave it a shot out of boredom.

It ended better than it started. The first 3-4 seasons of dexter were amazing. Unfortunately, it got stale. I didn't like this latest season, really hope they leave the series here and not do a spin off.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:16 PM   #2208
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Loved it. Great way to end the series. After the first couple of episodes, which were a bit rough and jarring, the season really settled in and had me looking forward to each new episode in a way I haven’t really felt since the original series.

Julia Jones’ acting and the Angela character got better as the season went on. She was excellent in the finale and I felt her stress level and panic increasing as things escalated or “spiralled out of of control”. I also like the little touch that “Angela” was ultimately a version of “Angel” (representing the entire Miami Metro Police Department) who finally got clarity and a version of justice.

Absolute fitting and just that Dexter was killed by his son. A great way to bring the character full circle.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:35 PM   #2209
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

More specifically, it was fitting that he was killed by the person he was most responsible for and arguably f###ed over the most of any one.

Harrison's anger was largely bred through his abandonment and the overall terrble circumstances he was raised from, which can all be traced back to Dexter's actions.

Absolutely the perfect character to end his run. Felt like Harrison was directing all his angst and grief into that shot. And for Dexter, it was rightful karma coming back around all at once. And maybe some justice for the rest of the Morgan family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 02:32 PM   #2210
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like the revival was a pretty big success. I'm sure they can't help but make some kind of sequel. It would be asking a lot to have a Harrison show without any familiar supporting cast.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dex...634d4eb3917f2d
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:42 PM   #2211
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It sounds like the revival was a pretty big success. I'm sure they can't help but make some kind of sequel. It would be asking a lot to have a Harrison show without any familiar supporting cast.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dex...634d4eb3917f2d
I could see Dexter being Harrison's dark passenger in a sequel. It would require less of Michael C. Hall as the show went on. The show's a success and the network wouldn't walk away from the $$$ if they can help it.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:44 PM   #2212
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

That ending sucked more than the 1st disappointing one. What a waste of my time this revival was.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:09 PM   #2213
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That ending sucked more than the 1st disappointing one. What a waste of my time this revival was.
Honest question, what would have been a satisfying ending for you?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #2214
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always thought about a potential prequel with Cameron Monaghan as Dexter.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #2215
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Honest question, what would have been a satisfying ending for you?
I'm curious about this too.

There's a portion out there who hated it. And that's fine. I just haven't heard yet any kind of alternative plot from these same people that they would find satisfying. And some even bring up good points, but they can't articulate how they would prefer it to unfold in a way that would conclude the series. Which leads me to think that some in this group may just not be good with endings.

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-11-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #2216
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm curious about this too.

There's a portion out there who hated it. And that's fine. I just haven't heard yet any kind of alternative from these same people that would satisfy them. Which leads me to think that some in this group may just not be good with endings.
This makes no sense. If people can only dislike things if they can do better, then no one would comment on movies or sports.

Being a screenwriter or an athlete are not prerequisites for commenting on tv/movies or sports.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:05 PM   #2217
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This makes no sense. If people can only dislike things if they can do better, then no one would comment on movies or sports.

Being a screenwriter or an athlete are not prerequisites for commenting on tv/movies or sports.
Cool, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:06 PM   #2218
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Wish I could say the same for your posts.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:09 PM   #2219
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Wish I could say the same for your posts.
Love you too.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:23 PM   #2220
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I thought the ending was terrible, and outside of this forum, the reception has been overwhelmingly negative. It was like bad fan fiction made it onto television or something.

A good ending would have been Dexter needing to make a choice between Angel and his son, or the cop he killed and his son, or his girlfriend and his son, and then taking off and being chased by the authorities. They could have set up a whole season of Dexter on the run, which would have been very entertaining, followed by a season of courtroom drama, as someone suggested earlier in this thread. Heck, I would take a season of Dexter in prison just trying to survive.

I thought the kid who played his son was a terrible actor and a very poor casting choice. He just walked around angry all the time.

The show jumped the shark a long time ago, but killing the friendly police officer guarding him in the cell was just so out of place with everything else that went before it. Horrible writing. There were so many holes in this plot it makes me wonder how the scripts got approved.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote