Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #2201
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I wonder if Son will be right out the door behind him. It could take a couple seasons for Spurs to rebuild without Kane and Son isn’t exactly young anymore.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #2202
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the combination of Covid, Levy and their contracts pretty much guarantees that they have to stay for another year. There's just no way any team coughs up the money that Levy would want.

there's something to be admired when it comes to loyalty, but signing that long-term deal was really stupid on Kane's part. Now all of the sudden he comes out with the "I want to win something" stuff? Well then don't just re-sign with Tottenham until 2024. The earliest he can leave is probably next summer, and he'll be 29 by then. Not ideal.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #2203
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the combination of Covid, Levy and their contracts pretty much guarantees that they have to stay for another year. There's just no way any team coughs up the money that Levy would want.

there's something to be admired when it comes to loyalty, but signing that long-term deal was really stupid on Kane's part. Now all of the sudden he comes out with the "I want to win something" stuff? Well then don't just re-sign with Tottenham until 2024. The earliest he can leave is probably next summer, and he'll be 29 by then. Not ideal.
I mean I love Kane and all, but he's played in a couple finals here and hasn't exactly stolen the show. It's one thing to say "well it's the team around him" and I guess that's fair to an extent. But the fact is, in big games he didn't score, didn't set up goals and didn't make the difference for the win.

I just think that the "I want to go somewhere I can win" only holds water when you're at a club that is obviously not winning because they're not there. when you're on a team that has played in a couple finals and challenged for the league...well some of that comes back to you as a player. It's not as though you're playing for Palace and want to move to a club with a chance.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:28 PM   #2204
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah...most major Clubs outside of the Premier League are effectively broke.

I think Bayern are financially stable, but I doubt he wants to go to Germany and I doubt Bayern would pay what Spurs want.

My own opinion is that if Kane is smart and ambitious he should go to City, but he could make a case for Chelsea if he wants to stay in London.

Arsenal should buy him....
I'll immediately hate him if he goes to any London team. I can't even believe that you'd bring up Arsenal though...that's low.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #2205
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I mean I love Kane and all, but he's played in a couple finals here and hasn't exactly stolen the show. It's one thing to say "well it's the team around him" and I guess that's fair to an extent. But the fact is, in big games he didn't score, didn't set up goals and didn't make the difference for the win.

I just think that the "I want to go somewhere I can win" only holds water when you're at a club that is obviously not winning because they're not there. when you're on a team that has played in a couple finals and challenged for the league...well some of that comes back to you as a player. It's not as though you're playing for Palace and want to move to a club with a chance.
not that I disagree with that, I just read it differently. I think Kane realizes that the window to win with Tottenham was there, but has pretty much closed and now the only way he can win trophies is to leave. Hindsight is 20/20, so maybe it's unfair of me to criticize his decision to re-sign in 2018. Back then, things looked pretty rosy after all. But he severely limited his options at that point by tying himself to the club for such a long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #2206
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
not that I disagree with that, I just read it differently. I think Kane realizes that the window to win with Tottenham was there, but has pretty much closed and now the only way he can win trophies is to leave. Hindsight is 20/20, so maybe it's unfair of me to criticize his decision to re-sign in 2018. Back then, things looked pretty rosy after all. But he severely limited his options at that point by tying himself to the club for such a long time.
Yeah and I don't entirely disagree. I just felt that pretty strongly with Eriksen (who we still miss). He was healthy and played the CL final, and basically did nothing. I mean sure, we got shafted 25 seconds in and basically that changed the whole complexion of the game (), but some of these guys need to show and perform when it matters.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #2207
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh boy. That's one way to react I guess

https://twitter.com/user/status/1394376487457988620
Old 05-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #2208
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm mostly surprised they even addressed it at all, giving the story life seems like an odd strategy. But Spurs gotta get this settled pretty quick you'd think, what they choose to do will affect their coaching hire and their transfer strategy this summer. Letting this drag out just needlessly complicates things.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #2209
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'm mostly surprised they even addressed it at all, giving the story life seems like an odd strategy. But Spurs gotta get this settled pretty quick you'd think, what they choose to do will affect their coaching hire and their transfer strategy this summer. Letting this drag out just needlessly complicates things.
Well truthfully, there's one team who could afford him (City). I don't think any one else can really do it, with the caveat that Spurs would actually deal with them. I know that Roman has the cash, but we basically don't deal with them, and United might have the money but we also don't deal with them. Levy has burned a few bridges, which is bad for us most of the time, but here it could mean that Kane isn't going anywhere if it PL or nothing?
Old 05-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #2210
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah...most major Clubs outside of the Premier League are effectively broke.

I think Bayern are financially stable, but I doubt he wants to go to Germany and I doubt Bayern would pay what Spurs want.

My own opinion is that if Kane is smart and ambitious he should go to City, but he could make a case for Chelsea if he wants to stay in London.

Arsenal should buy him....
PSG if Mbappe leaves?

Maybe Spurs can work out a true "hockey" deal. Send him to Madrid for Vinicius Jr.

Last edited by Cappy; 05-17-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:31 PM   #2211
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well truthfully, there's one team who could afford him (City). I don't think any one else can really do it, with the caveat that Spurs would actually deal with them. I know that Roman has the cash, but we basically don't deal with them, and United might have the money but we also don't deal with them. Levy has burned a few bridges, which is bad for us most of the time, but here it could mean that Kane isn't going anywhere if it PL or nothing?

After Sheringham and Berbatov, buying Kane would just be the natural progression of United buying Spurs strikers.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #2212
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fake news

Ali g is tier 0 with spurs rumors, more trusted than the actual club statements

https://twitter.com/user/status/1394361957545820167
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #2213
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
PSG if Mbappe leaves?

Maybe Spurs can work out a true "hockey" deal. Send him to Madrid for Vinicius Jr.
I mean Vinicius is a nice talent, but it's gotta be way more than that to get Kane. On the note of "hockey deals" though, I do wonder if we're not going to see more transfers involving players instead of cash this summer with many teams likely struggling with cash.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #2214
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the Bale scenario you'd think Real would think twice about buying players from Spurs...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:57 PM   #2215
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean Bale was pretty good for the first half of his time at Madrid, and then golf happened. But can you imagine Harry Kane speaking Spanish? He's barely intelligible in English, and he actually speaks English as his mother tongue, so....
Old 05-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #2216
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty good?

He scored and was their motm in like 4 finals
Old 05-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #2217
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean Vinicius is a nice talent, but it's gotta be way more than that to get Kane. On the note of "hockey deals" though, I do wonder if we're not going to see more transfers involving players instead of cash this summer with many teams likely struggling with cash.
Agreed. I believe Real Madrid and Barca had tried to make a few player-player trades last offseason but struggled due to the inflated salaries
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #2218
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Truth be told, selling kane wouldn't be horrible this summer to city, his value is peaked because of his age, pep prefers him over haaland too

I dont think it will happen though because of the money issues all these clubs have, and like ali g says kane wont force it

Also this rebuild thing is kinda silly, if they need a rebuild so does every other club in the league except city, they need a starting level cb and rb this summer, from what hes shown the last few weeks, they are basically gonna get a dele type player next season that they didnt have this year
Old 05-17-2021, 03:27 PM   #2219
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Pretty good?

He scored and was their motm in like 4 finals
He was trash the last two seasons.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #2220
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He was trash the last two seasons.
He was injured and never used by zidane in his final season

His first five years he was excellent, the sixth year he had 11 goals and 5 assists in 23 starts in the league and champions league, not excellent but nowhere near trash

Not surprised the daily mail/sun thinks it was first half 'pretty good' then golf happened, because its the lazy narrative, but it's far from true

He also won them trophies, the incredible run on the goal in the league cup final vs barca, his goals in the cl finals etc. He was more than worth the fee
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post: