Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2022, 06:41 PM   #2181
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
It isn’t a catch 22 - because this isn’t the “does Bitcoin meet the definition of a currency “ thread

You are just constantly obsessed with trying to make it that , despite literally the rest of the world moving to accept forms of crypto currency and non traditional banking methods

If you don’t think Bitcoin end up being part of the ecosystem there’s nothing wrong with that - there’s tons of issues with Bitcoin itself . This is very common being first in a new tech - everything that comes after can improve on the issues

It does however also get the advantage of being first from an acceptance and ownership standpoint, which makes it valuable to people, hence the price

The problem is that certain people in this thread (and in most circles , places etc) have so little knowledge of the crypto ecosystem , how it works, and what it is trying to accomplish the argument always seems to come down to “Bitcoin is a scam vs Bitcoin going to a million “

Meanwhile , every bank , payment provider , and even credit cards are getting involved and the way financial ecosystems work will drastically change over the next decade

It may not be Bitcoin - in fact I think Bitcoin sucks for most of where the ecosystem is going - but we’re going in this direction
The reason payment providers are getting in on crypto is to get their cut of the transactions that existing early adopters are desperate to make, not because they feel mass adoption is coming. There’s trillions of dollars in value sitting in wallets that was generated by those putting in money to the ecosystem that came after them. They’re waiting for an outlet to spend it so they can use it without converting it to fiat first.

As the transaction processes the currency is sold back out on the market. This will actually be bad for crypto as every purchase instantly creates a forced market sell on an exchange. This will cause crypto values to decay.

Very few are going to go out of their way to acquire crypto in order to make a purchase they can already make in fiat. There will however be some that will make purchase to exit the market while taking a loss in order to not have to process a withdrawal from an exchange to a bank account.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2022, 08:39 PM   #2182
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are getting into it because merchants are requesting it because consumers want it

The demand for crypto for merchants in online processing is through the roof .

And more and more banks are becoming crypto friendly for settlements.

Like it or not accepting crypto will be as common as taking a CC within 5 years for online transactions

I’m also not sure why people continue to think it is hard to covert crypto to fiat and people are sitting with crypto “waiting” for a way to spend it

You can convert crypto to any currency without any issue and have in your bank account the next day or use a debit/prepaid card immediately at an atm or to pay at any point of sale

We really should do a CalgaryPuck crypto meetup one day over beers to discuss misconceptions regarding the currently state and usages of crypto currencies . I’ll even buy the first round !

Last edited by Jason14h; 04-21-2022 at 08:47 PM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2022, 10:13 PM   #2183
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would I use crypto when I can use a credit card?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:38 PM   #2184
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty wild interview.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:00 AM   #2185
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why would I use crypto when I can use a credit card?
Well to start only 70% of Americans own a CC. This number is 95% in Canada.

In Europe this drops significantly

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/ran...8.02%20percent.

Then we can get into emerging markets with CC penetration is effectively zero.

It probably would be surprising for most people to find out that Canada is actually one of , if not the most advance countries for online payments.

We have amazing credit card penetration, very few banks who are all on the same EFT rails, and even interac for instant P2P between almost all big financial institutions in Canada.

So for Canadians, agreed, it is easy to just use your CC online.

However, heres just one use case as an example of where Crypto can disrupt in Canada - Buying anything P2P online or even in person

Think of how many scams are online when trying to sell anything. Even using a service like Paypal allows the buyer to pull back the funds pretty easy (By design, it is there to protect the buyer)

Even accepting money in person is risky. Selling a car - Counterfeit $$ and fake bank drafts are an issue. What if its the weekend or a holiday and the bank is closed?

You don't have a point of sale machine just ready to accept a credit card in these instances. (The companies who make single person POS systems are all investing heavily in crypto as they know distributing CC POS to every individual is crazy)

NOTE * - Using Phone as POS machines will solve this issue when it happens and is why Apple is investing so heavily in it and announced last week and the fintech stocks all took a hit.

With Crypto I can send you the $$ and you know it is real, and in your position almost instantly.

But what about volatility ? Well you can almost instantly change into a USD backed stablecoin or into a fiat currency of your choice. Sure there is a fee , and the fees are high relatively still compared to other financial methods, but they are coming down and different coins and technology will continue to make transactions faster and cheaper.

Soon (and soon is a relative term) instead of going through swift, ACH, or EFT rails you will be able to do the exact same transaction cheaper, faster, and with 100% uptime by using crypto.

This doesn't even touch on countries that don't trust their own banking or currencies.

Last edited by Jason14h; 04-22-2022 at 08:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 08:00 AM   #2186
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Pretty wild interview.

Yeah he exposes many of these rug pulls but nothing ever happens. The dev uses the excuse he was paid for services so he doesn't feel he did anything wrong and shouldn't return the millions he made. All these Sh*tcoins just prey on the people looking to get rich from the crypto wave but missed their opportunity for more legitimate coins like bitcoin and because its unregulated they all got away with it so far.

Sadly these are the things that will cause crypto to never be fully adopted.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 01:36 PM   #2187
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
It probably would be surprising for most people to find out that Canada is actually one of , if not the most advance countries for online payments.
No, anyone who has gone to the States in the last decade realizes Canada is one of the leaders in electronic payments. Without needing crypto to do it.

That's one of the issues with crypto and crypto evangelists, there's plenty of talk of how crypto can solve problems, but none of the problems it solves can't be solved more effectively using other technologies.

Just as an example, when you're talking about more efficient payment for goods, it sounds great until you think about fraud - right now, if I pay for goods from a seller and don't receive those goods, I can have my credit card reverse charges. If my credit card is stolen and someone buys a 15k flight from Brazil to Spain on it (personal experience), I can get those charges annulled. Is greater efficiency worth the complete lack of traceability and accountability? Not in my mind.

This illustrates the philosophical divide between crypto proponents and opponents that goes much deeper than the latter's supposed ignorance. Crypto is rooted in libertarianism, in the idea that regulation and government control of currency is an infringement on liberty and a positive evil. Like all libertarian thought, this is simplistic, absolutist nonsense.

Last edited by jammies; 04-22-2022 at 01:42 PM.
jammies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jammies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #2188
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
However, heres just one use case as an example of where Crypto can disrupt in Canada - Buying anything P2P online or even in person

Think of how many scams are online when trying to sell anything. Even using a service like Paypal allows the buyer to pull back the funds pretty easy (By design, it is there to protect the buyer)

Even accepting money in person is risky. Selling a car - Counterfeit $$ and fake bank drafts are an issue. What if its the weekend or a holiday and the bank is closed?

You don't have a point of sale machine just ready to accept a credit card in these instances. (The companies who make single person POS systems are all investing heavily in crypto as they know distributing CC POS to every individual is crazy)

NOTE * - Using Phone as POS machines will solve this issue when it happens and is why Apple is investing so heavily in it and announced last week and the fintech stocks all took a hit.

With Crypto I can send you the $$ and you know it is real, and in your position almost instantly.
But that already exists for smaller amounts with Interac e-transfers (or things like Venmo in the US). And it would be trivial to implement for larger amounts if financial institutions felt any real threat from people switching to cryptocurrency for those types of transactions. The only real risk right now with accepting those kinds of payments when you're selling something is that the funds are stolen or proceeds of crime, and crypto doesn't solve that. And the risk for the buyer is fraud if you pay with something that can't be reversed, which again, is a problem that crypto doesn't solve.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:15 PM   #2189
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Has it peaked now? It's back to where it was Jan 2021. What circumstances would cause it to increase in price?
Are you suggesting BTC will never be higher than its current rate? Because that's what peak means.

I want yours to say something about how awesome Crypto is
Old 04-22-2022, 06:19 PM   #2190
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTC needs to go up 70% to meet the all time high. Seems quite a ways off, if ever.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:21 PM   #2191
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not making a bet based on the value of something supported by irrationality. I have no control over the types of people who may boost the value, and also spend $23.7 million on things like this:
Spoiler!

https://www.dexerto.com/tech/top-10-...-sold-1670505/

Not rational.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 06:32 PM   #2192
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well to start only 70% of Americans own a CC. This number is 95% in Canada.

In Europe this drops significantly

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/ran...8.02%20percent.

Then we can get into emerging markets with CC penetration is effectively zero.

We have amazing credit card penetration, very few banks who are all on the same EFT rails, and even interac for instant P2P between almost all big financial institutions in Canada.

So for Canadians, agreed, it is easy to just use your CC online.

But what about volatility ? Well you can almost instantly change into a USD backed stablecoin or into a fiat currency of your choice. Sure there is a fee , and the fees are high relatively still compared to other financial methods, but they are coming down and different coins and technology will continue to make transactions faster and cheaper.

Soon (and soon is a relative term) instead of going through swift, ACH, or EFT rails you will be able to do the exact same transaction cheaper, faster, and with 100% uptime by using crypto.

This doesn't even touch on countries that don't trust their own banking or currencies.
I've dabbled with pre-Bitcoin digital currency and I still don't really get crypto (although it would have been nice to have been able to retire if I had bothered to keep someone on hand). Like, I think I understand it, but I also feel like the vast majority of people understand crypto incorrectly/has consumed some form of misinformation Kool-aid.

=========

Crypto is essentially something like a token or collectible. I consider it basically no different than a situation in old school arcades where you run a bill through an exchanger and get X amount of tokens back to play the games. Intrinsically, it basically has no value outside of the ecosystem it was created in. Any time anyone tells me it has a storage value, I know they've made a logical leap somewhere. If I run $20 CAD through a token exchanger at an arcade and I receive 10 tokens, and a game costs 1 token to play a game, the cost to obtain a coin and play a game $2 each.

But if I sit on those tokens AND people want to play the game AND the exchanger now only gives 4 tokens per $20 AND it costs 2 tokens to play the games... each token costs $5 to obtain and each game costs $10 to play. It's not a storage of value of $5 per token. It's $5 per token because people like paying stupid money on things like Beanie babies, Pokemon cards, rookie cards etc.

Now people still want to play, the money exchanger is essentially broken and people are trading the damn things at approximately $5,000 a token... but you paid $2 and sat on the 10 of them... The tokens are essentially still worthless IMO. You just have tokens that are desirable in the same way people used to pay a few bucks for holo Pokemon cards and now they're worth stupid more. IMO, the exchange value of crypto is "temporary". Whether that holds for a few hours vs a few years is of debate, because it depends what people will exchange for it. But IMO it's temporary because the intrinsic value of these things is negligible. It does have value in the ledger, but this is a separate piece than the crypto token itself.

This token aspect IMO is more apparent in NFT.

===========

Digital currency vs crypto currency.

Digital currency is a country's fiat currency that is exchanged digitally. Crypto has many similarities to a digital currency, but it is essentially backed by no country. This is both a pro and con. If you hold CAD$ and something goes funky, you go and figure out what's going on with Canada. Canada legally has ownership of something that will always be valued. Land, law, citizen, infrastructure, resources etc. so in theory is still somewhat backed by something just waiting to be unlocked. Crypto does not have this in the same manner. Most of Crypto's "value" is often explained as past work and the ledger. True. But it's not the Crypto trading price of today's value IMO.

================

Crypto's true value... the block chain

IMO the true value is in the block chain. A relatively simple concept of randomizing information in a P2P method to prove ownership. Basically almost like a crowd sourced authenticator or audit trail. That way you can make sure that you don't get scammed by a spoof digital value and others will actually approve and accept of the trading value of of the "token" because others would agree to that value if they traded for it. But that aspect is again, not the Crypto trading price of today's value IMO.

The block chain is useful for a variety of reasons. P2P like raid storage that can also be encrypted. Online NFT/unique weapons in video games that are significantly more difficult to spoof and clone. Honestly, it's IMO a form of digital DRM but without being deployed in the idiotic manner that most DRM have typically been deployed.

Blockchain is great for currency to speed up digital transactions for digital currency, but sooner or later, countries will find a way to implement this and you don't have to specifically rely on crypto currency to do this.

Also, the block chain of a specific coin is useless if everyone migrates away from that coin. This might happen sooner or later if block chains are implemented into fiat digital currencies. This is why I said I think the values are potentially "temporary". Crypto doesn't have the same level backing as other currencies out there. Its only intrinsic values are the tech behind it, but no one really owns that tech either, so it's only a matter of time you get a dead arcade with a bunch of valueless tokens because you cannot really use them.

What you mentioned for currency transfers are current strengths of Crypto as of right now. But sooner or later the tech will be applied towards fiat digital currencies as well. The coins could potentially be as useless as e-gold (which I lost a bit of money on back in the day).

I'd even go as far to thank that maybe we will see blockchain paypal/block chain digital insurance portals that replace crypto itself.

===================

Crypto is unhackable.

I've heard this. No... that's wrong. It's just that Crypto is unlikely to be hackable because it's not currently worth the effort to hack inherently. But in the same way that sooner or later people figure out how to break encryption or target vulnerable points to bypass it (ie: digital currency exchange hacks etc.) I think there could be a small window one day where crypto's blockchains could fall to a vulnerability.

Eh... but who knows.

===========================

What seems funny is that lots of people think crypto is awesome because it's cryptic. It's only cryptic IMO because many people dive head first and don't bother trying to figure it out.

There are many facets of crypto that will be retained for the next bit and going forward... but I honestly don't understand why the intrinsic value of it cannot be taken away one day when many of those technologies are then integrated into a country's currency. It'd basically go full circle how some people prefer another country's currency to their own (ie: USD in Mexico vs Peso) but digitally. We'd be jumping ship to stockpile more blockchain US if we hated some other blockchain country's currency. That's how I feel about it.

I honestly think Crypto will "die" and people migrate towards into blockchain fiat. I just have no idea how long that might take. I could be wrong though. But that's just my expectation based on my understanding of what is happening and what this stuff is.

I think NFT will continue in some form and block chain tech used to help DRM many facets of previously unpoliceable digital space (ie: special weapons in games, tokens to use websites etc.)

==========

I don't get Crypto, so I don't really put my money there. I consider it a gamble. Maybe I'm a fool for doing so... but I just don't understand the logic when I run it through, few can explain the logic behind it properly to me, and I don't like the risk.

That's my understanding and subsequent stance. I'm not saying I could be completely wrong. I'd love to further have conversations/discord about it one day, but not right now. I've had enough discord with enough self proclaimed experts on the subject who are people who have a 5+ hour Wikipedia research degree. No thanks.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 10:03 PM   #2193
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not making a bet based on the value of something supported by irrationality. I have no control over the types of people who may boost the value, and also spend $23.7 million on things like this:
Spoiler!

Not rational.
Lol it's an avatar bet
Old 04-22-2022, 11:23 PM   #2194
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's wild to see people still just referring to crypto as a singular asset with a singular use. The misnomer of "cryptocurrency" really underscores the utility of some of the projects.

The fact is that right now there are thousands of legitimate entities trying to solve real world problems. To say "we can solve all the problems with the tech we have now" is ridiculous. True, but ridiculous. I mean I could walk everywhere or buy an encyclopedia, heat my house with fire or heal my wounds with a poultice.

Barely any of finance is day to day payments, billions aren't being invested to speed up your purchase at a tim Hortons drive thru (which is already "instant"). For finance it's the behind the scenes settlement that some companies are trying to solve (XRP, XLM, R3, Strike) which can take 3-5 days for real value to move right now and cost a fortune.

Filecoin and others are working on decentralized storage solutions

Sologenic is working on the tokenization of stocks to cut out the middleman and exchanges

Vechain is working on supply chain information and tracking.

There are many more cryptos trying to solve different problems. I think the space is still very immature and will follow a similar path to the invention of the internet. How many people used the internet, or thought it would be useful in the 90s? It has a long way to go but I think once governments launch CBDCs we'll start seeing a massive migration to the crypto space for other areas than finance.

I don't want to sound like a cheerleader here, I do own a few crypto assets but not a significant amount. It just seems like there's a lot of disinformation in this thread in regards to what crypto assets even are.

Also I think Bitcoin is stupid and people's love for it is getting in the way of real crypto adoption.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2022, 12:12 AM   #2195
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!

Not rational.
Because this is the first time art sells for stupid amounts. This never happened before the digitalization of 'art'

I really don't see how this is an argument for anything. People can spend stupid money on anything they want, especially one of a kinds.

Would I? (assuming I could) - Hell No. But that doesn't mean people can't do whatever they want with their money. How is this an argument against crypto?

Sure uniformed people are buying NFT's as an investment and probably they will all get burned. Know what else happens? People buy physical art as an investment and get burned. "Art" is only as valuable as the amount someone else will pay.

How many of these would you say are good purchases. Does it make art a scam because fool pay these amounts for canvas art vs digitalized?

https://www.iloboyou.com/ridiculous-...-for-millions/

Last edited by Jason14h; 04-23-2022 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:52 AM   #2196
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am trying to think of an instance of a physical piece of art, besides Banksies’ auto-destruct work, that lost value.

The problem with the NFTs is they don’t provide you any exclusivity. So you bought a tweet? Well, what does that even mean?
Old 04-23-2022, 10:56 AM   #2197
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am trying to think of an instance of a physical piece of art, besides Banksies’ auto-destruct work, that lost value.

The problem with the NFTs is they don’t provide you any exclusivity. So you bought a tweet? Well, what does that even mean?
I assure you all of my mom’s paintings of teddy bears are now worthless.
Old 04-23-2022, 11:07 AM   #2198
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius;8260032[B
]I am trying to think of an instance of a physical piece of art, besides Banksies’ auto-destruct work, that lost value. [/B]

Really?
Wouldn't almost all art depreciate?
I think you're using a sampling bias by only thinking of renoun artists. I bet the vast majority of original art sold goes down or even to zero.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #2199
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Really?
Wouldn't almost all art depreciate?
I think you're using a sampling bias by only thinking of renoun artists. I bet the vast majority of original art sold goes down or even to zero.

I suppose, but wouldn’t that be the benchmark? Has anyone spent > $100k on a painting or sculpture to find it worthless years later - forgeries aside.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:02 PM   #2200
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

people buy stupid #### everyday...they sell fake mud to spray on your hummer so you can look like a man

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum