Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2024, 05:55 PM   #201
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
But are we trying to win a championship or sell jerseys?
The owners are most assuredly trying to sell jerseys ahead of winning a title.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 06:13 PM   #202
YyjFlames
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It will be interesting to see where Iginla is on different rankings once the more reputable ones release their final lists. A lot of them haven't been updated in quite a while.
Especially McKenzie's. He seems to be pretty close (not necessarily in order) each year and Iginla is the type of prospect he should get a good read on, as there's so much buzz about him six weeks before his list comes out, so lots of scouts will be talking about him.

The picks he misses on seem to be when a team goes way off board, like Arizona picking Simashev and But last year or Detroit grabbing Seider in 2019.

I find it interesting that his lists are still this good, as if I were a team's scout, why would I talk to Bob about the guy I REALLY want if he's just going to put him high up on his list and other teams know the list is pretty reliable.
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:38 PM   #203
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The owners are most assuredly trying to sell jerseys ahead of winning a title.
Aren't merchandise sales still split evenly among the teams, unless sold through a team-owned outlet?
Old 04-08-2024, 07:16 PM   #204
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Aren't merchandise sales still split evenly among the teams, unless sold through a team-owned outlet?

Selling more jerseys = more fan interest.

More fan interest = more dollars.

The last thing they want is to see is a concourse of Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk sweaters.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:26 PM   #205
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Selling more jerseys = more fan interest.

More fan interest = more dollars.

The last thing they want is to see is a concourse of Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk sweaters.
No, the last thing they want to see is an empty arena.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:59 PM   #206
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I never said I didn't want him, I said they should draft the best player the scouts say is there. I have seen on publication have Iginla in the top 10 and it was not exactly the most reputable. All of the big name draft guys have him outside the top 10.
That’s fair. My thoughts are if they have Iggy in a box with 2-3 other players and they are all available at 6-8 or wherever the Flames are drafting I hope they choose Iginla.

If we choose Iggy and he busts there will be a few fans online that will bitch and moan about the organization picking him because he is Jarome’s son but if they pass on Iggy and he breaks out we will never hear the end of it unless we pick a player who is even better but god forbid we make a Juolevi pick and Iginla pops like Chucky did for the team drafting after us then oh man that will be painful.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 08:47 PM   #207
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
That’s fair. My thoughts are if they have Iggy in a box with 2-3 other players and they are all available at 6-8 or wherever the Flames are drafting I hope they choose Iginla.

If we choose Iggy and he busts there will be a few fans online that will bitch and moan about the organization picking him because he is Jarome’s son but if they pass on Iggy and he breaks out we will never hear the end of it unless we pick a player who is even better but god forbid we make a Juolevi pick and Iginla pops like Chucky did for the team drafting after us then oh man that will be painful.
On the other hand, those fans who bitch and moan will proclaim Tij a bust the moment he's drafted, just so they can say they hated him before it was cool.

It's a hipster thing.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:16 PM   #208
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I watched Iginla break into the league, and I couldn’t care less if the Flames draft his son. Drafting a player to appease sentimental fans is the kind of strategy I want this franchise to move away from, not lean into.
Are you saying Iginla isn't good enough to draft 7th or 8th? I doubt any team would draft a player in top rounds to appease fans.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:16 PM   #209
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Disagree. There is not a prospect in this draft who Craig knows more than Tij. He held him as a baby and has known him his entire life. One thing teams try extremely hard to do is understand a players upbringing and family life and they know plenty about Tij.

Ultimately he has been one of the fastest rising prospects this year. Start of the season he was seen as a 2nd round pick and has put himself in the top 10 now based on a phenomenal season.

I would rather have the Flames pick Iggy and he bust opposed to them passing on him for someone else and watch him become far better than the prospect we draft. No guarantee either happens but adding an Iginla to this team is second only to winning the lottery and getting Celebrini or the consensus number 2 Russian player.

It does feel like for every flame fan that wants iggy for being an iggy there is one who doesn’t want him for the same reason
This!

The pedigree and training from the start runs through all the Iginla siblings. It's like the Tkachuks and now Doan. Some are speculating Tij may crack under pressure following in his dads shadows. Yet, he has succeeded following his footsteps now in Kamloops. I'm sure he'll succeed in a Flames uniform. You don't leave any regrets on the table. However, there may be regrets by choosing a smaller, flashier forward like we have seen too many times that don't fit the Flames system. Tij is a known potential that'll turn out well and I like to see him here than anywhere else.

As for the EP's 2nd overall choice, I'm not even sure where that one came out of. For one thing, the Russian player is smaller. Sure, he's flashy on bigger ice. Like all smaller players, bigger ice surface works to their advantage. We're talking about drafting for the NHL where the ice surface is smaller and players are bigger. Smaller players just aren't as effective when the games get physical. This is especially true once you get into the playoffs. For the top half of the 1st round draft, go big with speed and skill as much as possible. Later rounds, do whatever falls into their hands.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:29 PM   #210
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Well, Tij is playing in Kelowna, not Kamloops. The NHL equivalent would be him playing for Edmonton.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:34 PM   #211
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want Tij because other teams allegedly want Tij.

But without that factoring in I don't know if I actually want Tij.

Does that make sense?
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:41 PM   #212
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

2 weeks ago, the fan base wasn’t sure if the Flames should take him at around 10-12 because it could be a slight reach. Now he’s ranked in the top 10 and the Habs apparently want him really bad at #6. Now a bunch of the fan base is willing to take him ahead of everyone outside Celebrini and I am proudly part of that group.

I also want to win a Stanley cup but I don’t think it’ll come down to picking Tij at 8 instead of Catton or Buium. There are so many other variables. However, I’d have WAAAAY more fun as a fan cheering for Tij.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:48 PM   #213
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would like to hear people's lists of players they definitely wouldn't take Tij ahead of.

Any guy wiith 1C or 1D projections I would pick ahead of Tij.

After that... I wouldn't be mad.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 09:51 PM   #214
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Well, Tij is playing in Kelowna, not Kamloops. The NHL equivalent would be him playing for Edmonton.
Close enough - both towns start with K and has Iginla written all over
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 09:57 PM   #215
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

This would be an interesting thread for a poll.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:06 PM   #216
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think one underrated part of being Iginla's soon is that you know he understands the work it takes to excel at the next level. You often see very talented players just not be able to make that jump because they believe in their current abilities and don't understand just how much harder it's going to get.

However, if I'm Iginla, I want him nowhere near Calgary and the totally unfair expectations that will fall on him in Calgary
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:10 PM   #217
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Unless Jarome says otherwise, if Tij is available, I think the Flames pick him. He seems to be a prospect with enormous upside and wouldn’t be a reach IMO. I do however have my fingers and toes crossed that this franchise can finally get some serious luck and win the draft lottery.
No Celebrini and no Tij? I go with Helenius. Barkov 2.0. Just a gut feeling.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:12 PM   #218
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

As opposed to Montreal?

Every team and fanbase will make comparisons. Every soul around the game knows the surname. He won't be able to avoid that no matter where he goes.

Jarome himself responded pretty positively to the question about Tij and the Flames after the Kipper ceremony. Don't think there's an issue there.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:27 PM   #219
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless Helenius grows 4 inches and packs on 40lbs I doubt he'll be Barkov 2. funny thing is he's probably more physical than Barkov though, I think his upside is more like Aho which is fantastic.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:32 PM   #220
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
This!

The pedigree and training from the start runs through all the Iginla siblings. It's like the Tkachuks and now Doan. Some are speculating Tij may crack under pressure following in his dads shadows. Yet, he has succeeded following his footsteps now in Kamloops. I'm sure he'll succeed in a Flames uniform.
lol
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote