Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2024, 01:10 PM   #201
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always thought Gutierrez was overrated by Valour but still good to see him signed.

Guessing with him, Shome, Daley and Kobza all signed that Trafford may be on the way out. I assume Kobza will be at CB and if Klomp goes then we need at least one more solid CB as well as a forward, backup GK and then depth on the wings.

Good squad to start the year though.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:19 PM   #202
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team is looking pretty solid but I’m sure Tommy still has a few additions on the wish list.

Really hoping Klomp stays. Is Yao still floating around out there or did he sign somewhere?
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:35 PM   #203
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Is there any talk of Edmonton actually getting their #### together, getting a stadium sorted and getting back in the league? Or Saskatoon? Seems like their stadium project is completely DOA. Here in Kelowna there are rumors on the ground in the soccer community that the city and ownership group have been in talks for a while on building a stadium and some stories in local media on the preferred site, but nothing concrete or any updates in a while. I think the ownership group is trying to get the city to pay for a lot of it.
Kelowna should just have a floating stadium in the middle of the Lake and everyone just boats up to it.

Granted, that makes 'selling tickets' problematic...but it'd be cool!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:51 PM   #204
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Klomp moves on, Cavalry need a CB. Sturing is an intriguing CB...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742658246274621629

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 03:29 AM   #205
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
If Klomp moves on, Cavalry need a CB. Sturing is an intriguing CB...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742658246274621629
He definitely has a good pedigree; Dutch youth international at 3 levels and has those 2 caps for Canada. Last played in the Austrian 2. Liga. Still only 26.

I can't help but think that if we're pursuing him, there's a good chance Klomp is leaving. If not, Sturing, Klomp and Montgomery would be give us three super quality CBs.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:09 AM   #206
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree ditty, if we’re pursuing Sturing then Klomp must be halfway out the door

Been a while since I’ve seen anything of him but I remember him being ok on the ball, probably an upgrade on Yao in possession as I think of comparing the two.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:04 AM   #207
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Sturing rumour would jive with Klomp leaving; I could see him on the way out soon. The transfer fee is probably the sticking point right now. Remember this article from a month ago:

‘Hefty Transfer Fee’: Top CPL Defender Daan Klomp Draws MLS Interest

Quote:
Having proven himself as a consistent and award-winning performer for Cavalry – who won the regular season title in Klomp’s third season there – the 25-year-old now reportedly has multiple MLS sides expressing direct interest in the defender.

He’s also told Cavalry that he’d like to be sold in order to maximize his potential at a higher level, as per Voetbal International.
Quote:
“They are asking a hefty transfer fee for me. A lot of money, with a one-year contract,” he said. “But I have an advantage, because I can apply for permanent resident status. That makes it interesting for [MLS] clubs, because then I count as Canadian.”
https://northerntribune.ca/cavalry-d...sfer-interest/
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 11:48 AM   #208
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Klomp signed back in 2021 he had indicated that his desire was to move to MLS. I think he's proven everything he can at the CPL level and that he's ready for the step up.

Another thing holding him back is his international status in MLS. He's a great CB and MLS quality IMO but not at the level to be worth an international spot. Klomp getting his PR would mean that at least he would be domestic on any of the Canadian MLS clubs, and at the point, would be a no brainer signing. TFC in particular could really use a player like him; their backline is in complete shambles.

IMO on paper Sturing is a like for like signing to replace Klomp and is a domestic as well. I haven't watched him a lot but he was at a similar level to Klomp before joining Cavalry. Tough to judge from his national team games against Cayman Islands and Aruba since he didn't really have to do anything. Whereas Yao is a different profile of CB; big, good in the air, decent speed, but maybe not as good with the ball at his feet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 11:52 AM   #209
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I place a lot of credence on the quality of the defender line. We have been quite fortunate with generally solid defending on the Cavs, and when a guy like Klomp leaves you must find a way to get his quality back. Sturing sounds like the right fit, although if Yao turns up I wouldn't be upset either with him, Kamdem and Montgomery.

Either way, Tommy has some work to do on the backend with the Klomp situation.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM   #210
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone interested...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1743054075548328035

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 09:27 AM   #211
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavs at the Ship and Anchor? Too soon man, My heart hurts.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:43 AM   #212
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Northern Tribune: Cavalry Invites U-21 Canadians Masri And Cain To Preseason Camp

Quote:
Striker Philip Masri featured for League1 Alberta side BTB Academy this year, bagging four goals in eight games while turning heads with both his bursts of pace and impressive hold-up play. He followed that up with a record-breaking season at MacEwan University, tallying six goals and becoming the first Griffins soccer player to earn U SPORTS honours after cracking the U SPORTS All-Rookie Team.

Masri, who is just twenty years of age, has spent the last few years growing under the tutelage of former Eddies man Allan Zebie, who coaches at both the BTB Academy and the MacEwan Griffins. The striker had originally aimed to test himself in Germany, but seems focused on an opportunity closer to home for the time being.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:17 AM   #213
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

$750 per person to go to the Victoria game. So $1500 for two of us. I probably wasn't going anyway but was curious to see what they'd offer. At more than the cost of a season ticket, I'm officially out.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:10 PM   #214
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we all knew the packages for the "home" game were not going to be cheap. In the end, vote with your wallets and don't go.

Old 01-08-2024, 12:22 PM   #215
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely will try and go to the Orlando game!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:22 PM   #216
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The package isn't great. Bill Bumface and I are going and we booked our own flights and hotels. All in it's gonna cost us ~$600 each, and doing 2 nights.

Flights are about $300, and we're splitting a $200 hotel room for 2 nights.
Throw in game tickets ($25), and cabs to/from the stadium and the airport, and we're right around $600.
If you're gonna just do 1 night, you can probably get it down to $500.

Just sayin....

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 01-08-2024 at 12:25 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 12:23 PM   #217
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks pretty similar to just booking it yourself a la carte. “Thanks Ian!”

Even if time and money were limitless for me, I’d still sit this one out.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:30 PM   #218
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
The package isn't great. Bill Bumface and I are going and we booked our own flights and hotels. All in it's gonna cost us ~$600 each, and doing 2 nights.

Flights are about $300, and we're splitting a $200 hotel room for 2 nights.
Throw in game tickets ($25), and cabs to/from the stadium and the airport, and we're right around $600.
If you're gonna just do 1 night, you can probably get it down to $500.

Just sayin....
Considering the same. Was waiting on the package on the off chance Cavalry actually wanted fans and worked out some deals with WJ, hotel, and transport. I priced out two nights around the same as you. $754 per person a la carte is high, as a package, it’s awful. Feels like the travel agent is adding quite a “service charge”
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:57 PM   #219
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Priced out flights to Victoria and Orlando (with a few days in between in New York where I can visit family) and it is coming out to be around $550-600 which is pretty solid.

Now to see if I do go ahead with the plan though. Any idea how many cavalry FC fans will end up going? Ill just be a solo traveler.

Last edited by agulati; 01-08-2024 at 01:08 PM.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:14 PM   #220
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not going, that seems like a high price and unwilling to help the fans out (no surprise)

I think it’s awesome that some of you are going (and considering it!). I’ll be yelling through my tv
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer