Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2023, 09:44 PM   #201
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to say that as I read through this thread I had tears in my eyes. I'm not disabled and I have no experience really with that...other than breaking my ankle at the same time a Hack and Lube did...and having similar mobility issues for a short (mercifully only six weeks!) period.

I cannot imagine being a double amputee having her only form of mobility destroyed by the childish act of an entitled brat. I can understand even less those on CP who sought to pass this off as a "nothingburger".

Very sad and very telling. I can only wish that those who have no empathy never have to suffer....anything, because it will be a rude shock to them that their pals are the same.

The only thing we have is our humanity, and that is all that differentiates us from the animals in the world. Apparently not so much at times.

Thanks to those who are not fully abled (I have no idea what the real term is for this) for speaking out, and those who work to give them an easier life "out there in the world" as well. Hopefully you DO make the world a better place.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:51 PM   #202
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post

Thanks to those who are not fully abled (I have no idea what the real term is for this) ....
My daughter considers herself disabled and uses that vernacular, and in her sphere of experience, so do most others. However, you'll find it tends to be a somewhat personal view in terms of the vernacular other people use, as it's not monolithic.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:58 PM   #203
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
With all your experience in the field of accessibility could you share an analogy that would better suit your sensibilities? I believe my responses were gauged and measured not to provoke your outrage, yet we still must find an analogy that isn't too extreme for you—maybe breaking one leg, or cutting a leg or two off? Maybe it should be noted as a slight inconvenience, and as OOTC put it she hit the jackpot. I have tried to impart how a person often relates to a wheelchair as a functional extension of their body and yet you cannot grasp this. It's this type of thinking that makes my life challenging almost every day. You somehow know better what's in my best interest.

"My disability exists not because I use a wheelchair, but because the broader environment isn't accessible" - Stella Young
I'm not sure why you or anyone else should be required to front the labor on this, just because Philly's feels and ego got in the way.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:59 PM   #204
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have to say that as I read through this thread I had tears in my eyes. I'm not disabled and I have no experience really with that...other than breaking my ankle at the same time a Hack and Lube did...and having similar mobility issues for a short (mercifully only six weeks!) period.

I cannot imagine being a double amputee having her only form of mobility destroyed by the childish act of an entitled brat. I can understand even less those on CP who sought to pass this off as a "nothingburger".

Very sad and very telling. I can only wish that those who have no empathy never have to suffer....anything, because it will be a rude shock to them that their pals are the same.

The only thing we have is our humanity, and that is all that differentiates us from the animals in the world. Apparently not so much at times.

Thanks to those who are not fully abled (I have no idea what the real term is for this) for speaking out, and those who work to give them an easier life "out there in the world" as well. Hopefully you DO make the world a better place.
This is the problem with society today.

It's not that people are actively being awful necessarily. It's the number of apathetic bystanders that exist out there.

Way too big of a contingent of posters taking on more or less the same attitude as Carson's buddy boy friend in that video.

Makes me wonder what they have and what they might continue to shrug off while being witness to in the future.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:11 PM   #205
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The icing on the cake for threads like these, is realizing the true colors of the people that paint themselves as good people, when in fact they are ignorant, immature, callous, or just simply a terrible person.

Take note of those people, and take everything they say as a "nothing burger".

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:12 PM   #206
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This thread is as good as the video at ratting out DB’s.

Holy #### there are some bad takes in here.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:19 PM   #207
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You wrote a whole little skit where they “bro” at each other back and forth. I can quote it again if you like.

Maybe write another one that shows you have the faintest empathy for a disabled person. The reason most people don’t destroy unoccupied wheelchairs is because:

1. Most adults don’t randomly destroy property
2. Most adults understand that unoccupied wheelchairs exist to be occupied by somebody who to struggles walk or cannot walk at all.

Whether Carson is malicious or so unfathomably stupid that it never occurred to him that wheelchairs are for disabled people, it doesn’t really matter. The fact that you can empathize with the idea of someone being that stupid but not with the person in the wheelchair pretty much sums up the issue with your “it’s overblown” position.
I disagree. Your assumption is that because I choose to withhold judgement on Carson's intent, I must have no empathy for the disabled person isn't fair. Nor is it true. I'm have the cognitive ability to separate one from the other.

Intent matters. It does. And because someone "should" know better, doesn't mean they do. And intent doesn't absolve someone of responsibility, but it does absolve them - to some degree - of the guilt of being someone who hates people in wheelchairs and purposely goes out of their way to destroy their mobility. To me this seems like more of the classic "what we're you thinking" to which the response is "I wasn't".

And to close the loop, the reason I don't need to write how ####ty his action was, is because it's obvious. To suggest that my lack of discussion on the topic implies that I don't feel empathy is pretty dumb. I just don't see the value in everyone having a circle jerk about "omg what an upsetting thing to watch and what a ####ty thing to do to someone else." Like no #### bruv. That's the part literally everyone understands and feels.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:26 PM   #208
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
This thread is as good as the video at ratting out DB’s.

Holy #### there are some bad takes in here.
Don't forget the posters that thought it was a good idea to inject posts like these into the thread like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
I don't care, it's funny

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:28 PM   #209
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
And to close the loop, the reason I don't need to write how ####ty his action was, is because it's obvious. To suggest that my lack of discussion on the topic implies that I don't feel empathy is pretty dumb. I just don't see the value in everyone having a circle jerk about "omg what an upsetting thing to watch and what a ####ty thing to do to someone else." Like no #### bruv. That's the part literally everyone understands and feels.
I’m sure that’s why you called it “overblown,” bruv.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:36 PM   #210
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’m sure that’s why you called it “overblown,” bruv.
The attacks on Carson implying intent were overblown, bruv.
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:43 PM   #211
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really, what's worth piping up to speak out against more 11 pages into this

The stupidity of the kids actions (intent or not), or how overblown the reaction appears to be?

Jfc, what a hill to die on.

Your (moral?) values are somewhere in the bermuda triangle right now.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:47 PM   #212
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

According to reports, Carson seemed incredulous about his permanent ban from Sullivan's.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:49 PM   #213
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Really, what's worth piping up to speak out against more 11 pages into this

The stupidity of the kids actions (intent or not), or how overblown the reaction appears to be?

Jfc, what a hill to die on.

Your (moral?) values are somewhere in the bermuda triangle right now.
I had to work, then volunteer, then work out, then make dinner, then watch a flames game, and just got back to his thread post game...and now I can get back to arguing with strangers on the interwebz

We're on the same page of how stupid his actions were. What's the point in discussing it?
Old 03-16-2023, 11:52 PM   #214
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Gathered all the posts commenting on Briere for you before you dropped “overblown,” and not one of them comes close to implying intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That's terrible behavior for a 19 year old, but you'd think you'd grow some class and maturity by 24.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Those are the actions of a person who has never faced any consequences in their life and who has never been told "no".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Pretty gross behaviour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGA View Post
Garbage human. This is clearly someone that has lived a privileged life and has never had to deal with hardships. If that's a custom wheelchair and it's been damaged, those are both expensive and can be quite time consuming to get. That could mean that this woman is now without her primary mode of community transportation. Even if it's just a couple of dings and scratches, that's such a POS thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Wow, what a dbag.
All posts that describe the actions of someone so ignorant and disrespectful that they would attempt to destroy a random wheelchair for a giggle.

So, sorry, you didn’t comment on his actions because they were “obviously” ####ty but you had to step in to call the above reactions “overblown” because they… said “obviously ####ty” in a way you didn’t like?

Genius stuff. Very believable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:54 PM   #215
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The tweet comments bruv...the tweet.

https://twitter.com/juliazukowski/st...040130048?s=20
Old 03-16-2023, 11:59 PM   #216
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We're on the same page of how stupid his actions were. What's the point in discussing it?
Are you sure? Because you've made it barely a footnote below your points of discussing how overblown you think it is to call out the kids actions, and only after people singled you out.

There's exponentially more point in discussing the stupidity of his actions over what you're trying to discuss.

There's less than zero point in fighting this battle you're waging and it makes you look terrible, in case you weren't aware.

Given the amount of ####s you appear to give about a story like this, I doubt you volunteer for #### all. Because a person who donates their time for a good cause typically has more empathy than you've demonstrated here. Pretty pathetic to throw that into with some irrelevant information as an attempt at damage control.

It's probably time to call it a night, G unit.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 03-17-2023 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:15 AM   #217
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
The tweet comments bruv...the tweet.

https://twitter.com/juliazukowski/st...040130048?s=20
Shouldn’t be hard to quote the tweet that inspired you to call the whole thing “overblown,” yeah?

You proceeding to quote and make reference to posts you disagreed with tells me it wasn’t so “obviously” ####ty to you at the time, but you might as well show us the tweet that had you so twisted up.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:20 AM   #218
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Are you sure? Because you've made it barely a footnote below your points of discussing how overblown you think it is to call out the kids actions, and only after people singled you out.

There's exponentially more point in discussing the stupidity of his actions over what you're trying to discuss.

There's less than zero point in fighting this battle you're waging and it makes you look terrible, in case you weren't aware.

Given the amount of ####s you appear to give about a story like this, I doubt you volunteer for #### all. Because a person who donates their time for a good cause typically has more empathy than you've demonstrated here. Pretty pathetic to throw that into with some irrelevant information as an attempt at damage control.

It's probably time to call it a night, G unit.
I don't really understand what the value is in discussing things where everyone is broad agreement. It is just to all make sure we're on the same page with regards to what's deplorable behavior and what's not? Or is to signal who's virtuous and who's not?

Seriously...how cynical do you have to be to think that 99% of people aren't good people who aren't going to be like "yeah that was a stupid, mean-spirited, thoughtless, inconsiderate thing to do"? And if literally everyone thinks that, wtf is point of discussing it?

In contrast, there's ample reason to discuss areas where people actually disagree.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:25 AM   #219
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-...lls-her-story/
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 12:33 AM   #220
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
What a brave and inspiring women. Can’t imagine the hardship she’s been through. Really puts things in perspective about how trivial some of our problems can be. Also, the fact that she says the boys showed little remorse is disgusting.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flyers news