Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 02:31 PM   #201
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I must have some sort of Mandella/Berenstein Bears effect going on...I could have sworn one of the threads was Hey Connor, It's a Mess
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 02:34 PM   #202
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Ah, it was Edmonton is No Good 5: Same Crap, Less Cap.

In the naming discussion for 6, getbak says:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=162

Followed by confirmation: "We're just prescient. You know seeing the obvious problems with what they're doing, which just underlines how blind the Oilers are"

So the full list:
  • I: Edmonton is No Good
  • II: Now With 150% More No Goodness
  • III: The No Goodening
  • IV: New Rink, Same Stink
  • V: Same Crap, Less Cap
  • VI: Chia•den•freu•de
  • VII: There’s Something in the Water
  • VIII: There’s Still Something in the Water
  • IX: That’s a Team that Knows How to Lose
  • X: Up and Down Like a Toilet Seat
Detecting a bit of a theme here...
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 02:47 PM   #203
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Ah, it was Edmonton is No Good 5: Same Crap, Less Cap.

In the naming discussion for 6, getbak says:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=162

Followed by confirmation: "We're just prescient. You know seeing the obvious problems with what they're doing, which just underlines how blind the Oilers are"

So the full list:
  • I: Edmonton is No Good
  • II: Now With 150% More No Goodness
  • III: The No Goodening
  • IV: New Rink, Same Stink
  • V: Same Crap, Less Cap
  • VI: Chia•den•freu•de
  • VII: There’s Something in the Water
  • VIII: There’s Still Something in the Water
  • IX: That’s a Team that Knows How to Lose
  • X: Up and Down Like a Toilet Seat
This has made my day.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:53 PM   #204
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Outside of that weirdo on Twitter, it seems like the writers with The Athletic have a bit of recency bias thinking that the Oilers are the best team in the Pacific. People forget how close that trash bag of a team was to missing the playoffs. If it wasn’t for that 9-3 whooping by the Flames, they likely continue to plod along, and miss. That was a turning point for them. I’m still not convinced that the coach will get that much out of the team this coming season.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:55 PM   #205
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Detecting a bit of a theme here...
You forgot to highlight "Edmonton".
Old 08-04-2022, 03:25 PM   #206
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Outside of that weirdo on Twitter, it seems like the writers with The Athletic have a bit of recency bias thinking that the Oilers are the best team in the Pacific. People forget how close that trash bag of a team was to missing the playoffs. If it wasn’t for that 9-3 whooping by the Flames, they likely continue to plod along, and miss. That was a turning point for them. I’m still not convinced that the coach will get that much out of the team this coming season.
The Oilers are the best team in the Pacific and it’s not even close. They also got better while the Flames got worse, I predict Oilers, Canucks, Flames in that order at the top of the division.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:27 PM   #207
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
The Oilers are the best team in the Pacific and it’s not even close. They also got better while the Flames got worse, I predict Oilers, Canucks, Flames in that order at the top of the division.
They got better?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #208
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 03:36 PM   #209
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
It's always funny to me when I hear people say the Oilers are the best team in their division when they haven't actually won their division in 35 years.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:43 PM   #210
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hilarious how you say it is not even close. How is Edmonton better? They signed another average goalie to a long term deal. Kostkinen 2.0 there is a reason the Leafs moved on.

Flames got worse up front but also replaced a third pairing Dman with a top pairing guy so not sure how much worse they will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 03:57 PM   #211
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Besides the obvious laughable take of the Oilers improving that others have already commented on...

Quote:
the Flames got worse
I actually am tempted to argue the Flames might be better than last season. I think Huberdeau's a better player than Gaudreau. And I think Tkachuk was too often more of a passenger or distraction or took too many ill timed penalties to provide a net positive. That of course doesn't mean he's a bad player, I think we may just see his departure provide an opening for someone to take a step (Mangiapane, Pelletier)?

And all that is in addition to having Weegar replace Gudbranson, which is a massive upgrade.

Quote:
, I predict Oilers, Canucks, Flames in that order at the top of the division.
Predicting the Canucks above the Flames is a hot take all on its own, only adding Mikheyev & Kuzmenko, and most likely still going to be removing Miller doesn't scream 2nd in the division to me...

So overall, thanks for posting, always enjoyable to see the disillusion of the Oiler fanbase. What flavour's the Kool-Aid these days?
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 04:08 PM   #212
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^^^^
I've said before.
I think there definitely is reason to believe that the Flames may already be a better team this coming year.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #213
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
They got better?
Lowe and Keith retired. Smith on LTIR. That should be an improvement.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:18 PM   #214
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When the Flames inevitably trade from their pool of 10 one way contracts on D (probably valimaki+) to add another piece up front, they'll be as good if not better than they were last season with an upgraded defense core and better PP because of Weegar drawing in.

Good luck with that prediction/betting against Sutter.

Flames shed two guys that didn't truly want to be here and brought in two that will have a chip on their shoulders. I'd think the group will be more committed from top to bottom now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 04:22 PM   #215
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Old 08-04-2022, 04:35 PM   #216
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How'd they get better?

They lose Keith, their best, maybe second best defender last year. No worthy replacement. Money goes into just keeping Kane.

Smith --> Campbell is lateral at best. Smith had better numbers and Campbell is unproven in a starter role & oft injured.

Everybody else was merely brought back for another round of McSwept hockey. Where did they upgrade?

Oilers are an old team. They aren't on the up and up anymore. They're prolonging a window of desperation that'll be all for naught because everything below the forward ranks is deeply & inherently flawed and doomed to fail them when the competition is legit.

Just utter neglect on the back end. What's hilarious is they're so cocky coming off an unimpressive run where the opponents imploded more than the Oilers did good that they think they can score enough to get away with a lottery team defense.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:36 PM   #217
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
It's always funny to me when I hear people say the Oilers are the best team in their division when they haven't actually won their division in 35 years.
Well their head office is on the same level as Barca. Results really show that.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:37 PM   #218
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Bahahahahaha…. The Oilers got worse in positions they were already very weak at, defense and goaltending. They are going to be battling just to get into the playoffs.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:46 PM   #219
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Half the Oilers defense were formerly depth guys that other teams didn't want/were flushing out of their organizations and would've been sold off for peanuts or faced early retirement if it wasn't for the Oilers overpaying for no reason and playing/paying them more than they'd be worth anywhere else.

Oilers fans realize this right? The blue line is garbage sprinkled with glitter.

Nurse is a 4 million dollar d-man getting paid 100 point premier player money. How dumb can you be to put out that offer after an outlier season against 6 other teams? Why not wait for him to show it in a normal season? LOL so dumb.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:49 PM   #220
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Half the Oilers defense were formerly depth guys that other teams didn't want/were flushing out of their organizations and would've been sold off for peanuts or faced early retirement if it wasn't for the Oilers overpaying for no reason and playing/paying them more than they'd be worth anywhere else.

Oilers fans realize this right?
The blue line is garbage sprinkled with glitter.

Nurse is a 4 million dollar d-man getting paid 100 point premier player money. How dumb can you be to put out that offer after an outlier season against 6 other teams? Why not wait for him to show it in a normal season? LOL so dumb.
No, they really don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough