Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #201
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hutchison getting lit up right out of the gate.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #202
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is the game even being played under these conditions?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #203
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Why is the game even being played under these conditions?
Jays probably want to play it for HFA purposes.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #204
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So what happens if they can't play today? It doesn't look like the weather is going to improve anytime soon especially with the hurricane coming.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #205
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

They will wait as long as possible today to see if they can get it in at all tonight. If not, it will be postponed. Given we're down 3-0 already and not taking it seriously, that's not a bad thing.

Odds are that if it doesn't get played today, it is just cancelled outright. I don't think the Jays, Orioles or MLB will bother forcing a makeup game on Monday just for best record in the AL. They certainly won't bother making it up if it doesn't actually matter in the end.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #206
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Guess it doesn't matter now. Game is back on.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #207
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sure seems like the Jays arent too concerned about ensuring home field throughout the playoffs. I get why you would rest a few guys but this seems like they are just mailing the rest of the regular season in.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #208
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Sure seems like the Jays arent too concerned about ensuring home field throughout the playoffs. I get why you would rest a few guys but this seems like they are just mailing the rest of the regular season in.
They've played 3 games in 24 hours. Let's see what lineup they put out in Tampa.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #209
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

rest is more important than possible home field advantage.
Sounds like Price will pitch a simulated game to Tulo
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #210
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Home field? None of these series of getting past 5 games anyways!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #211
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
rest is more important than possible home field advantage.
Sounds like Price will pitch a simulated game to Tulo
If you look at the stats of the Jays on the road versus at home (even post trade deadline), you will see that this statement is pretty debatable . Tim and Sid went through them today, and not going after first in the AL is a pretty bad decision when you consider them. I can see giving them one game off, but giving Kansas two games for free is ridiculous. All of the starters should have played game 2 of the double header and given today to rest after their party, but that is it. Had they won one of those two games, all they likely would have needed is one win in Tampa Bay (and they could rest whomever they wanted). As it stands now, this is going down to the wire.

When Price starts game 1 of the ALDS, he will not have pitched for 11 days and be coming off one of his worse performances. That type of a layoff has only happened once before in MLB history and the guy got shelled. I forgot his name.

I think no one is calling them on this now because of the shine of just winning the AL East, but should they meet Kansas in the playoffs and lose, there will be hell to pay in the Toronto media. Probably would result in AA and Gibbons losing their jobs.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 10-01-2015 at 06:51 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #212
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
If you look at the stats of the Jays on the road versus at home (even post trade deadline), you will see that this statement is pretty debatable . Tim and Sid went through them today, and not going after first in the AL is a pretty bad decision when you consider them. I can see giving them one game off, but giving Kansas two games for free is ridiculous. All of the starters should have played game 2 of the double header and given today to rest after their party, but that is it. Had they won one of those two games, all they likely would have needed is one win in Tampa Bay (and they could rest whomever they wanted). As it stands now, this is going down to the wire.

When Price starts game 1 of the ALDS, he will not have pitched for 11 days and be coming off one of his worse performances. That type of a layoff has only happened once before in MLB history and the guy got shelled. I forgot his name.

I think no one is calling them on this now because of the shine of just winning the AL East, but should they meet Kansas in the playoffs and lose, there will be hell to pay in the Toronto media. Probably would result in AA and Gibbons losing their jobs.
Well now that's just not going to happen.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #213
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Rye View Post
Well now that's just not going to happen.
That's pube bet territory. They aren't getting fired.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #214
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
That's pube bet territory. They aren't getting fired.
AA maybe not, but Gibbons would for sure be taking the heat for losing home field against the Royals.

There's no guarantee AA will be back anyways. He loves it in Toronto, but he can write his ticket and he's not going to come back if he's being held back on budget by Rogers or if he's going to be overruled by Mark Shapiro. I hope he is back though.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 10-01-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #215
whosurnabby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
AA maybe not, but Gibbons would for sure be taking the heat for losing home field against the Royals.

There's no guarantee AA will be back anyways. He loves it in Toronto, but he can write his ticket and he's not going to come back if he's being held back on budget by Rogers or if he's going to be overruled by Mark Shapiro. I hope he is back though.
I've been one of those Blue Jays fans who's been cautiously optimistic the past 22 years, and I can't blame you for still being trapped in that state of mind, but please realize this...

KC has a 3 gamer left vs a team fighting for that 2nd wildcard spot (Twins) and they've been LIMPING on the way to the fall classic
meanwhile,
TOR has a 3 gamer left vs Tampa Bay and I'm 100% sure they'll have their bunch of bangers back, the A LINEUP, back to wrap up the season

At this point, let's enjoy this, and I mean every moment of it..it's either you believe or not at this point. For me, personally, I believe that they will have the top spot in the AL after it's all said and done. Also, I would completely understand the "gloom and doom" talk if you live in the GTA area because it's such a Toronto Sports Fan thing to say. Let's enjoy every bit of this and have some confidence with the capability of your team.

Last edited by whosurnabby; 10-01-2015 at 08:51 PM.
whosurnabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #216
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosurnabby View Post
I've been one of those Blue Jays fans who's been cautiously optimistic the past 22 years, and I can't blame you for still being trapped in that state of mind, but please realize this...

KC has a 3 gamer left vs a team fighting for that 2nd wildcard spot (Twins) and they've been LIMPING on the way to the fall classic
meanwhile,
TOR has a 3 gamer left vs Tampa Bay and I'm 100% sure they'll have their bunch of bangers back, the A LINEUP, back to wrap up the season

At this point, let's enjoy this, and I mean every moment of it..it's either you believe or not at this point. For me, personally, I believe that they will have the top spot in the AL after it's all said and done. Also, I would completely understand the "gloom and doom" talk if you live in the GTA area because it's such a Toronto Sports Fan thing to say. Let's enjoy every bit of this and have confident on your team.
Tampa Bay lays down for no one, and have played the Jays harder than probably any team in the bigs. The Trop is the equivalent of the Flames' Honda Center. Factor in Chris Archer starting and I think the home
Advantage through the playoffs is definitely in jeopardy, and when you look at the Jays stats on the road versus home that's not a risk that I think should have been taken. Orioles likely would have laid down for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #217
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This could be all for nothing though, because if KC doesn't smarten up they won't get out of the ALDS

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 10-01-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #218
whosurnabby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Tampa Bay lays down for no one, and have played the Jays harder than probably any team in the bigs. The Trop is the equivalent of the Flames' Honda Center. Factor in Chris Archer starting and I think the home
Advantage through the playoffs is definitely in jeopardy, and when you look at the Jays stats on the road versus home that's not a risk that I think should have been taken. Orioles likely would have laid down for them.
Oh, trust me, I know how Tampa Bay plays. I guess long story short, the Jays lost the last two games in Baltimore because they fielded the Buffalo Bisons.

In Florida, they'll be back in business with their AL East winning lineup and Tulo. Also, they've been doing great recently in Tampa Bay. They kinda broke that Tropicana Field curse last year. It's not a "baseball narrative" anymore in 2015.

Last edited by whosurnabby; 10-01-2015 at 09:27 PM.
whosurnabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:46 AM   #219
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:

Agree with you except for the last part. I don't get why they are shutting Price down for so long. Before I was hoping they wouldn't play the wildcard winner but now I think they should be going for top spot. Considering how well they play at home, I think it's crazy to basically give away two games.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #220
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe the plan is to pitch Price on three days rest in the postseason and they want him to be rested?
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball , blue jays , orioles