Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #201
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
There is absolutely no doubt that the New Jersey Devils are the best hockey team in the NHL right now. I'm not going to tell you why I think this, but I'm sure if you do some searching around Google you will see I am right. It will be interesting to see what the rest of the teams in the league do to match their awesomeness.
Quite childish, but I'll play along and save you the two seconds of googling time and derail the thread a bit.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...440?artc_pg=21

Quote:
Make no mistake: the Samsung Galaxy S3 is the best smartphone on the market. It's got every kind of feature we could ask for and more, and raises the bar once again in terms of what consumers should be expecting in terms of battery life, processor speed and media management.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #202
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Samsung S3 is a very good phone, no doubt. But it is not innovative, it has only made upgrades in areas that innovation had already taken place, AMOLED screen, 128Gb memory etc.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #203
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
The Samsung S3 is a very good phone, no doubt. But it is not innovative, it has only made upgrades in areas that innovation had already taken place, AMOLED screen, 128Gb memory etc.
Well I disagree there too. Not only do the technical specs blow everything else out of the water, but the biggest innovations are the "nature inspired" features, including:

-front facing camera that detects when you are looking at the phone and keeps the screen on if you are.
-automatic dialing when you are having a text conversation and raise the phone to your head.
-The ability to access cameras and other aps without having to go to the homescreen first.
-Smart alert system. The phone will vibrate in your hand when you pick it up, if there is an outstanding call or message.
-S-Beam. Allows you to share files with other S3s by holding them close together.
-Pop-up play. Allows you to keep a movie running while you run other apps on the phone. Similar to a picture in picture TV.
-Burst shoot photo functioning. Allows you to take up to 8 photos in rapid succession.

I don't see how expanding memory to 128GB is "innovative" than the above examples. That's just the natural course of techonology. All desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, etc.. are always coming out with models with more ram.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #204
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The features on the S3 are all nice and good, and despite being an iphone user I did consider looking into one, but the deal breaker for me was the size. Holding the thing in my hand, the only thing I could think of was that there was no way in hell I could handle having a phone that big jammed in my pocket all the time.
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #205
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

One of the biggest reasons I have less interest in the 5 than other models is the size increase. For a device that's going in my pocket that's a big issue for me. The 4S bulge is already detracting from the main event down there, I don't need to show it up even more.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #206
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lots of people seem concerned about an increase in size, but for me, it's not a negative at all. From what I've seen, it looks like it is going to be thinner and only slightly taller than the 4S. Most of the screen size increase seems to come from using more of the front of the phone for the display.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #207
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Lots of people seem concerned about an increase in size, but for me, it's not a negative at all. From what I've seen, it looks like it is going to be thinner and only slightly taller than the 4S. Most of the screen size increase seems to come from using more of the front of the phone for the display.
Yeah I'm not overly concerned about the size of the new iphone. Even if it does get a little bigger, it will still be much smaller than the S3.
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #208
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Well I disagree there too. Not only do the technical specs blow everything else out of the water, but the biggest innovations are the "nature inspired" features, including:

-front facing camera that detects when you are looking at the phone and keeps the screen on if you are.
-automatic dialing when you are having a text conversation and raise the phone to your head.
-The ability to access cameras and other aps without having to go to the homescreen first.
-Smart alert system. The phone will vibrate in your hand when you pick it up, if there is an outstanding call or message.
-S-Beam. Allows you to share files with other S3s by holding them close together.
-Pop-up play. Allows you to keep a movie running while you run other apps on the phone. Similar to a picture in picture TV.
-Burst shoot photo functioning. Allows you to take up to 8 photos in rapid succession.

I don't see how expanding memory to 128GB is "innovative" than the above examples. That's just the natural course of techonology. All desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, etc.. are always coming out with models with more ram.
So none of this is available in S2?
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #209
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
So none of this is available in S2?
Nope. Or any other phone for that matter.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #210
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Nope. Or any other phone for that matter.
Well they could, it's all just software, but it's probably a patent minefield.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #211
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
I got my 4S this year so I won't be going to 5 anytime soon, but I have to say I'm disappointed that the screen width stayed the same. My single biggest annoyance with the iPhone is browsing sites (most) that don't fit horizontally - either they scale down to fit and are unreadable or they overflow off the side. Turning the phone landscape solves that but then I can't show enough vertical. I want my phone to be just a bit wider so I can read it. Making the screen taller in 5 doesn't help.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #212
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I got my 4S this year so I won't be going to 5 anytime soon, but I have to say I'm disappointed that the screen width stayed the same. My single biggest annoyance with the iPhone is browsing sites (most) that don't fit horizontally - either they scale down to fit and are unreadable or they overflow off the side. Turning the phone landscape solves that but then I can't show enough vertical. I want my phone to be just a bit wider so I can read it. Making the screen taller in 5 doesn't help.
Where are you looking at sites exactly?

For me I'm either 1) On my Macbook while at work or 2) On my iPad at home. Where else are you browsing sites? While driving? at the mall?

Im glad the phone won'y bulk up width wise.
Jordan! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #213
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Where are you looking at sites exactly?

For me I'm either 1) On my Macbook while at work or 2) On my iPad at home. Where else are you browsing sites? While driving? at the mall?

Im glad the phone won'y bulk up width wise.
While driving, while dining out, while on a conference call, while in the bathroom, while having sex, ....

Actually none of the above but I'm the type that when I want information I want it now so pretty much any time I'm not at my computer or on my iPad I want reasonable access to the web by phone. I do use apps instead where possible though, and Reader is the best feature on the phone for me.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #214
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
One of the biggest reasons I have less interest in the 5 than other models is the size increase. For a device that's going in my pocket that's a big issue for me. The 4S bulge is already detracting from the main event down there, I don't need to show it up even more.
I definitely want a larger screen on my next phone (I have an iPhone 4 now), but I hear you on the pocket thing. I'm surprised nobody has found an elegant way to make a smartphone into a flip phone. The flip would protect the glass in your pocket and take up less space. It would be awesome.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #215
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I have a Galaxy Nexus (4.3") and I couldn't go back to a smaller screen.

I'm not trying to rag on iPhones because I'm sure the 5 will be a great device and sell just as well as the others, but personally I find an iPhone to be very small now. We'll have to wait and see what the new form factor is like.

Quote:
I definitely want a larger screen on my next phone (I have an iPhone 4 now), but I hear you on the pocket thing. I'm surprised nobody has found an elegant way to make a smartphone into a flip phone. The flip would protect the glass in your pocket and take up less space. It would be awesome.
It would make it a lot thicker and everybody seems to be racing to have the thinnest phone. Personally I would be okay with a bit more bulk for a bigger battery.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #216
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post

It would make it a lot thicker and everybody seems to be racing to have the thinnest phone. Personally I would be okay with a bit more bulk for a bigger battery.
Even so, I'm also a bit surprised noone has done it yet. Obviously it wouldn't appeal to everyone, but they can make phones thin enough now that it wouldn't be that thick, even folded in half.

I'm guessing the issue also has to do with breaking up the screen into two parts and still having the touch component work as one unified screen.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #217
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I'm with you there. I do think the iPhone could afford to add a bit of width, but there are so many people that are used to the current size that it might throw them off a bit if they made it bigger all around.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #218
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I have a Galaxy Nexus (4.3") and I couldn't go back to a smaller screen.

I'm not trying to rag on iPhones because I'm sure the 5 will be a great device and sell just as well as the others, but personally I find an iPhone to be very small now. We'll have to wait and see what the new form factor is like.

4.65 so that's going to be a big reason why the iPhone seems so tiny.
When HTC released a statement not too long ago about how customers want the thinnest phone and would be willing to sacrifice battery life, you have to wonder how consumers would let the manufactures know wrong they are...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #219
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The announcement is a few hours away. Interested to see what features this has.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #220
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

anyone have a link on the best live blog updates?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote