Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 12:05 AM   #201
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, that's pretty goofy to hear a player was playing through injury on a team that sold off and was going for a high pick. Like why?
It's very common for players who don't go to the world championships to say they are dealing with injuries just so they don't look like they're turning down playing for their country.

Not saying Kadri is lying but nagging injuries can mean so many things where it actually isn't serious at all.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 12:26 AM   #202
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Oh I was talking about Backlund.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:27 AM   #203
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

The world championship seems to the turning into more of a tournament for younger players the last few years. With less big named vets.

Last year was fun to watch. It looked like a great experience for Mangiapane and Lucic.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:02 AM   #204
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
The only way this retool is three years is if they hit on a #1C and a #1D over the next two drafts.
Which is 100% something that could happen.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:18 AM   #205
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett44 View Post
We have no gamebreakers because we have no elite talent at any position on forward or defense. Sure, Huberdeau was great at one point. He is a shell of himself now.

I am not really sure what you mean about an east/west roster, because outside of Huberdeau and Zary and Sharo and Kuznetsov, this is about as north and south a team as it gets.

And none of those guys i mentioned are 1st liners. They are all 2nd to 3rd liners on a good team.

I know you have some inside connections on the team, and if this is what any of them truly believe then we are doomed. We were a bad team and after the trades we are a really bad team outside of a few players.
Nothing I said here about my thoughts on Huska or the roster has come from anyone but myself.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 07:45 AM   #206
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Vezina level goaltending?

Markstrom this season:

21st in games played
20th in games started
21st in wins
19th in saves
19th in goals against
18th in time on ice
Only 2 shut outs all season
14th in GAA from goalies who started at least forty games
19th in SV% from goalies who started at least forty games

Below average in every category.
For a team that finished in the bottom ten most of those stats are irrelevant.

You should have just listed his shoe size and his Chem final result in grade 12.

Key stats that matter ...

GSAA 6th
Sv% above expected 5th

He was moving into the top two in both stats before the trade deadline, and certainly came off in the last quarter.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 08:29 AM   #207
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I was talking about Backlund.
Oh, my bad.

Yeah that is really weird to have a player play though injuries especially when you're not in a serious playoff push.

Not having Backlund may have propelled us up to 7th overall. This franchise seems to have players play through injuries more than other teams. Monahan could never seem to heal because he was always playing through injuries instead of just sitting out.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:52 AM   #208
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Out of curiosity, who are you worried they could have picked at 5th that won't be available at 9?
It’s math for me and it’s a draft; players shift around and it’s always better to have sooner than later choices. Besides specific players, better odds at first overall. 4 picks earlier in every round. Best player available will always be better. Will the “move the needle, sooner” player be more likely at 5 or 9?

I don’t have a specific player in mind, but the only reason not to pick sooner is if you don’t have a choice or don’t care. I don’t think the flames have either luxury.

There’s a lot riding on every team’s amateur scouting, and many impact players are chosen after 5 or 9, but I doubt any scouts would choose to have 4 less player choices around their selection.

That’s my reasoning. Just math.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:01 AM   #209
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty goofy to hear a player was playing through injury on a team that sold off and was going for a high pick. Like why?
I'd guess it was the type of injury that had zero downside to keep playing with. So Backlund's options are to keep playing hockey as the captain of an NHL team with a bunch of young players and heal up completely for next season, or sit out during the season and still be healed up completely for next season.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 10:16 AM   #210
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
2024/25

Kuzmenko Kadri Pospisil
Zary Celebrini Sharangovich
Pelletier Backlund Coleman
Huberdeau Rooney Hunt
Duehr

Weegar Anderson
Kylington Tanev
Pachal Miromanov
Solo

Broissoit
Wolf
So where’s Coronato?
Steve Bozek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:34 AM   #211
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Not having Backlund may have propelled us up to 7th overall. This franchise seems to have players play through injuries more than other teams. Monahan could never seem to heal because he was always playing through injuries instead of just sitting out.
The way Backlund struggled through the last 15 games, he helped the Flames improve their draft position.

The team sat Mangiapane and Coleman plus some others at times. So I'm not as convinced Conroy and Huska are running them through the meat grinder. I'm sure every NHL player is run down after the season.

The battle cry is play more kids...but we want the kids to suck so we draft higher. Kadri and Kuzmenko played too good but their contracts are still bad. There's just no satisfying people.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:43 AM   #212
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Out of curiosity, who are you worried they could have picked at 5th that won't be available at 9?
The Flames may lose out on 4 potential players for all we know.

We don’t know the Flames list, nor how the draft will fall.

Unless the Flames have a large number of players who they rank the exact same, which is not possible, there is a large difference between 5 and 9.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 04-21-2024, 10:48 AM   #213
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

During Conroy's interview, he mentioned he was going to Finland in a few days. What is going on in Finland related to hockey right now?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:18 AM   #214
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
During Conroy's interview, he mentioned he was going to Finland in a few days. What is going on in Finland related to hockey right now?
U18 Worlds start on Thursday.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:22 AM   #215
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
It’s math for me and it’s a draft; players shift around and it’s always better to have sooner than later choices. Besides specific players, better odds at first overall. 4 picks earlier in every round. Best player available will always be better. Will the “move the needle, sooner” player be more likely at 5 or 9?

I don’t have a specific player in mind, but the only reason not to pick sooner is if you don’t have a choice or don’t care. I don’t think the flames have either luxury.

There’s a lot riding on every team’s amateur scouting, and many impact players are chosen after 5 or 9, but I doubt any scouts would choose to have 4 less player choices around their selection.

That’s my reasoning. Just math.
That's fair and always true to some extent. This year does not seem to have a clear ledges in that 2-15 range that would cause me more consternation about missing out. Projecting players is a difficult thing and while it would be better to have even more choice for the scouts, I'm still excited about the talent that will be available.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 04-21-2024, 11:28 AM   #216
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

The first year captain of a team, who underwent extreme changes to personnel, played through a mild injury for one month to lead by example and continue his iron man streak. Sorry what's the problem?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 12:01 PM   #217
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Look at who they beat. Most of those teams were not going to be out-sucked.
Did they really have to beat Arizona, LA, split with Anaheim? My personal view is that once you are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, it’s about helping the team as much as possible for next season and beyond. Fight like crazy to get into the playoffs, and when that isn’t possible, acknowledge that the team wasn’t good enough and plan to get better.

The flames should have beaten these outsuckable teams throughout the season in addition to beating them at the end.

Playing injured players for pride and outcomes in a lost season seems really short sighted to me for the franchise when those same players could have started rehabbing earlier to have a longer runway to be ready for next season.

Last edited by McG; 04-21-2024 at 12:11 PM.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:10 PM   #218
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Did they really have to beat Arizona, LA, split with Anaheim? My personal view is that once you are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, it’s about helping the team as much as possible for next season and beyond. Fight like crazy to get into the playoffs, and when that isn’t possible, acknowledge that the team wasn’t good enough and plan to get better.

The flames should have beaten these outsuckable teams throughout the season in addition to beating them at the end.

Playing injured players for pride and outcomes in a lost season seems really short sighted to me for the franchise when those same players could have started rehabbing earlier to have a longer runway to be ready for next season.
Unless you’re outright throwing games on purpose, you can’t will a team to lose.

These games might not have been important to fans or the team itself, but they were important to the players. Good luck turning that off and on at will. The players don’t care about draft position, they’re playing for pride, each other, and themselves. If you want them to act like losers, all you’re ever going to get are losers.

The Flames were the 4th worst team after the deadline. When you look at where they were and the team on paper, it’s hard to argue they were anything but as bad as they could possibly be without outright throwing games.

I just hate the “they could have done less” mentality. I think it’s for losers. It’s one thing if the team is just built to be terrible, but having a team play worse than it is on purpose is just pathetic and embarrassing.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 01:22 PM   #219
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Unless you’re outright throwing games on purpose, you can’t will a team to lose.

These games might not have been important to fans or the team itself, but they were important to the players. Good luck turning that off and on at will. The players don’t care about draft position, they’re playing for pride, each other, and themselves. If you want them to act like losers, all you’re ever going to get are losers.

The Flames were the 4th worst team after the deadline. When you look at where they were and the team on paper, it’s hard to argue they were anything but as bad as they could possibly be without outright throwing games.

I just hate the “they could have done less” mentality. I think it’s for losers. It’s one thing if the team is just built to be terrible, but having a team play worse than it is on purpose is just pathetic and embarrassing.
Plus, can you imagine if you're playing a non-playoff team that has the same philosophy? Quality entertainment that would be.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:22 PM   #220
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like they fought hard to beat the Rangers and Stars either. Even on an off day they still have a decent chance to beat the Coyotes and Ducks.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote