Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #201
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

No explanation on the end of DOFP not making any sense in relation to this movie? Where Mystique (disguised as Stryker) pulls Wolverine out of the river?

Now he's with real Stryker. Did they just ignore that?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #202
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's almost like 10 years of events happened off screen between the ending of DoFP and Apocalypse.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:52 PM   #203
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I really liked it, not as good as the last two but still good overall.

I actually liked Quicksilver not telling Magneto that he was his son. They set it up with Quicksilver asking Mystique what type of man his father was. I feel like Quicksilver wanted to see for himself if his father would help his former friends when they needed him.

Jean Grey was a bright spot, as was the interaction between Xavier and Magneto (which is always well done). Quicksilver saving the students was a great scene but hope they don't go back to that well again next movie.

Think overall the movie would have been much better with a better version of Apocalypse. Weak villain really hurt the movie overall.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #204
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It's almost like 10 years of events happened off screen between the ending of DoFP and Apocalypse.
If that was the plan though, why even put the tease at the end of DOFP? It would've made infinitely more sense if it was Stryker himself at the end of DOFP pulling Wolverine out of the river.

These damn movies spend so much time always trying to set up the next one, they're starting to ignore their own set-ups and hope you don't notice.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #205
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was bad.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #206
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
If that was the plan though, why even put the tease at the end of DOFP? It would've made infinitely more sense if it was Stryker himself at the end of DOFP pulling Wolverine out of the river.

These damn movies spend so much time always trying to set up the next one, they're starting to ignore their own set-ups and hope you don't notice.
It wasn't a "set-up". The big takeaway from the end of DoFP was that the grim Sentinel ruled future had been averted. A ripple had been created in time. But it also had a scene early in the movie to remind you that time might be a river, and that some things are inevitable. Sentinel future: avoided. Logan being transformed by Weapon X: inevitable.

I mean, at the end of First Class Magneto is forming his Brotherhood. But at the beginning of DoFP, he's imprisoned beneath the Pentagon. Why even bother showing him recruit the White Queen? Because it made for a good scene in the one movie, and the next movie doesn't need to slavishly begin right where the last one ended, or handhold the audience.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #207
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Jennifer Lawrence is a really good actress but wow she's terrible at hiding that she's mailing in a role. Two straight big movies in this and Mockingjay Part 2 where she literally looks like she would rather be anywhere but in the movie. Awful performance on her part and I feel if you are getting paid you should at least put some effort into the role. Brings the movie down.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-31-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #208
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think she isn't that good of an actress but has a cult following per se that hypes her a lot.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #209
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah I feel like her performance was par for the course with all her other performances. I don't think she did anything different.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #210
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think that movie with Christian Bale she's a great actress, also the one with Bradley Cooper where they are dancing. Maybe she just plays crazy well.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #211
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I think that movie with Christian Bale she's a great actress, also the one with Bradley Cooper where they are dancing. Maybe she just plays crazy well.
And the Academy has always had a soft spot for people that play crazy well. Combine that with her popularity due to speaking off the cuff in interviews and stuff and I think she's more popular than she is some sort of Meryl Streep jr.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #212
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I actually think Lawrence has done a pretty great job in the role. Mystique is supposed to be an uncaring B. She gets weird attachments to evil powerful guys and occasionally shows compassion to her own children, but is otherwise pretty emotionless. It'd be a little big jarring to see Mystique break down into some kind of dramatic outburst. She's really supposed to be more of an ice queen.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #213
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually thought this was Lawrences best turn as Mystique. Haven't been a huge fan of her in the role, to be honest. I don't think she has that femme fetale thing going on.

I tend to agree she's just really not that good, but tough to say as I haven't seen her winning/nominated roles. So should watch those.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #214
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I actually think Lawrence has done a pretty great job in the role. Mystique is supposed to be an uncaring B. She gets weird attachments to evil powerful guys and occasionally shows compassion to her own children, but is otherwise pretty emotionless. It'd be a little big jarring to see Mystique break down into some kind of dramatic outburst. She's really supposed to be more of an ice queen.
I always thought Mystique seemed to be having fun being evil. Like a "muhahahaha" type villianess.

But her character isn't that in these movies so I dunno. I think it's more the new characterization that throws me.

The scene that really stands out for me is her and Erik in the phone booth from DOFP. Not to sound crass, but it needed more sex appeal. More like she was flirting with him. Like she'd either kiss him or slit his throat. I think she butchered that scene.

They also had some wierd tone on her Romijn's voice when blue, which I thought gave her a real gravitas and a powerful voice. They should have kept it IMO.

Last edited by Coach; 05-31-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:50 AM   #215
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

enjoyed the movie.

Weak villain but still good.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #216
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
IMO her performance amounts to no more than same old jaded & grumpy Katniss in a superhero costume. If you have seen Winter's Bone you would know she's better than this.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #217
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
IMO her performance amounts to no more than same old jaded & grumpy Katniss in a superhero costume. If you have seen Winter's Bone you would know she's better than this.
They've rewritten Mystique's character substantially, in that she's much younger than the comics version, grew up with Charles, taking on a less evil role, etc....

However, the core of her character is supposed to be pretty jaded. I'm not saying that Lawrence deserves an oscar nomination, but she's done fairly well. you also have to keep in mind that she performs opposite Fasbender a lot of the time, who absolutely kills it.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #218
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I just watched it. I enjoyed most of it. A lot of the final fight was pretty boring though. Better than Batman v Superman but not as good as Civil War.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 AM   #219
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was entertained. Too many characters and lots of plot holes are my criticisms though.

Also supposedly this poster is causing controversy for promoting violence against women. Just looks like the antagonist attacking the protagonist to me.

FireGilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #220
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I was entertained. Too many characters and lots of plot holes are my criticisms though.

Also supposedly this poster is causing controversy for promoting violence against women. Just looks like the antagonist attacking the protagonist to me.

That's kind of a stupid poster regardless of the genders involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: