Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the Flames add Iginla if the cost is reasonable?
Yes 357 50.78%
No 346 49.22%
Voters: 703. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #201
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
How bad would it be for those nostalgic fans if he didn't work out at all?
What would the effect be, mentally, to those players that believe they are the stars of the team to see Iggy come back and take away that spotlight? Would they welcome it or resent it just a bit.
Total non factor. Unless you are a delusional fan (and there are some) nobody would think this is Iginla in his prime coming back to reclaim his team. The core is still the core and its still their job to carry this team. This would be a bit of added depth and leadership and that's it. Even Iginla would know that.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #202
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wouldn't mind seeing ol' Jarmoe back just because I believe he still has the old school jam to get in the face (with his fists) of those who hack and slash Gaudreau, while still being able to play 3/4 minutes and some PP time.

Slash Guadreau? Here's Iggy. Iggy's in the box? No problem, team functions fine without him on the ice.

He has two fights so far this year. It's not a ton, but more than many.

If he can/will fill this role, then I am for picking him up.
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThisIsAnOutrage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #203
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
I love Iginla, but would rather see him go someplace he has a legit chance to win the cup, rather then bring him home for a potential playoff run.

Iggy will sign a one-day contract and retire here. Go get a cup Iggy
It has already been noted a couple of times in this thread but the fact bears repeating: this Flames team is a legitimate threat to win at least a round or two in the playoffs. They are much, MUCH better than the 2014 team that beat Vancouver in Round One, and they match up very well with both Division leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #204
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

No thank you. He needs to retire so all of this wishful thinking can come to an end. Don't need a slow old winger on this team.. we already got Brouwer.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #205
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The member berries haven't gotten me yet. I'm done with the Iggy era. Nostalgic feels are nice and all but I feel the Flames arent where he would want to be anyhow. Who knows.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #206
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I voted 'no' last time around, but voted 'yes' this time (assuming that "reasonable cost" is a 4th round pick, at most). I expect Iggy will retire after this year, so I think it'd be great if he could play 15+ games for us and then retire a Flame.

I don't see big things out of this team this year, so would love the nostalgic story-line down the stretch.

Last edited by The Fonz; 02-24-2017 at 02:59 PM.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #207
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

looks like 50% of the people on here are idiots... Statistical tie after my vote

442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #208
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if it's a deal similar to the Jones/Backstrom swap last year (Iggy for Wideman and a 5th or 6th rounder), then sure. Low acquisition cost, improves depth and fills a few needs. I'd be down with it.

Honestly though, I'd rather see him head to a team like San Jose for one last shot at the cup and have the Flames save their assets for a bigger, more long-term oriented deal in the summer (Landeskog would be the pipe dream).
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #209
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I originally was on the no train. That has changed as I have watched quite a bit of the Avalanche recently and Iggy has really picked it up, probably to help drive interest up. Anyone who says he can't skate anymore is just flat out wrong, I would say his skating is on par with Monahan and Tkachuk actually. Still has a fantastic release as well, still physically engages on plays too. Is he the Iginla of old? No, but that is a given. Would he be an upgrade on our current RW? Absolutely in my opinion. I think he could play with Mony and Johnny actually. The second reason is bringing him in would be an emotional shot in the arm for this club, big time! You don't think this team wouldn't want to try and push hard to win a Cup for him? If the goaltending becomes steady this team as is can upset anyone in the playoffs. It is also a great story. All that being said I think he goes to a sure fire contender if possible. I think his first choices will be Chicago, Minnesota, San Jose, NYR, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Washington. If none of those teams are interested I think Calgary would be his first choice over the rest of the iffy teams.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #210
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Voted no before, yes now. I thought it was more a nostalgia thing earlier in the season when it was mentioned but I think there is a hole on this team he could help fill for cheap. Even at his age Iginla is still a scoring threat, and having him on the halfboards would do wonders for the PP. I don't think he has the legs anymore to keep up with the top line, but in a 3rd line role with 12-14 minutes I think he can still be effective.

I think he has been around outside of the Flames to understand the role and that this isn't his team anymore, and based on the fire they showed each other I don't think Gio would give it up either. Loads of experience, good shot, smart player and another mature voice in the locker room might just be the bump this team needs. Of course, for the right price.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #211
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

No. Iginla was great one time here but turned into a soft perimeter player and my past faves aren't remembered like this at all.

In fact I remember guys like Roberts Chopper Niewendyk and Fleury as well as a few others that moved on and contributed more to new different Teams and getting less press than Iginla.

I'm as sentimental as the next guy but it doesn't feel right. It's not the way I want to remember him.
EVERLAST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #212
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as he can still shoot, I'd love to have him on Gaudreau's wing on the PP
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #213
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It has already been noted a couple of times in this thread but the fact bears repeating: this Flames team is a legitimate threat to win at least a round or two in the playoffs. They are much, MUCH better than the 2014 team that beat Vancouver in Round One, and they match up very well with both Division leaders.
Maybe so, but we are talking about one last potential run. Do we have enough to win a seven game series against Chicago, the sharks or Anaheim for example? I don't think so, and Iginla will not be what pushes us there. I love Iginla, but more then anything want to see the guy win the one trophy that has escaped him his career. Not (maybe) win a playoff round
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #214
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Maybe so, but we are talking about one last potential run. Do we have enough to win a seven game series against Chicago, the sharks or Anaheim for example? I don't think so, and Iginla will not be what pushes us there. I love Iginla, but more then anything want to see the guy win the one trophy that has escaped him his career. Not (maybe) win a playoff round
You and those pushing this notion are forgetting: Iggy's twice tried to pick the team he's felt has the best chance at a cup. It's not an easy thing to do.

Couple that with not all the top contenders are suitors for him and the "I think he will want to go to a top team" just isn't the stumbling block some of you are making it out to be.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #215
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the cost is low, why not. The 15 year old Flames fan in me would love to see that happen. I want to hear Beasley's "Jaarrroommmmme Iginla!" calls at least once more in my life.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:02 PM   #216
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want the Flames to spend assets to get him so I voted now. However if he did come back, I'd be cheering until I lost my voice.

However the Flames don't really have a shot this season to win it all. The perfect story line for me is for him to actually win the cup. Not simply come to an 8th place squad that very well might miss the playoffs for one last hurrah, and then watch his career fade off without getting that last chance. Screw that, he doesn't deserve that. He deserves to go to a real contender for a real shot. I'd much rather see him go to the Pens or Hawks. Someone with a real chance. He doesn't deserve to have another 9th place/1st round exit on his resume.

Seems like most here selfishly want him back here for their own personal fandom. But is that what he wants? I'm sure he'd prefer an actual cup run vs some fanfare in the city he used to captain.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 02-24-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #217
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Iginla is as cheap of a rental that you can get without giving up quality picks, and helps a position of weakness. There is also the factor that he may elevate his game a bit playing for the Flames, and a potential playoff run as a final hurrah for his career.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #218
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

He wants to win a cup. Why are the flames a fit again?
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #219
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Regardless of cost, is he an upgrade over anybody else that you can get with the assets to acquire him? How much is nostalgia worth if you can find someone better?

The Flames need help at RW - someone who can finish reliably. They should get the best player they can to fill this role. If Iginla is the best they can get then yes, he is worth getting. Hopefully they can get someone better.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #220
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
He wants to win a cup. Why are the flames a fit again?
He went to the Avs so it's not like winning the cup is high on his to do list.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:

Tags
bringhomejarome , gaudreau to iginla , iggy iggy iggy , oi oi oi! , yeah baby!